NYC - Baby Friendly Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! We are visting NYC with our 8 month old baby next month and was wondering if it would be appropriate to bring our baby to the following restaurants:

-Balthazar
-Otto Enotecca Pizzeria
-Les Halles
-Esca
-Bolo

We are very considerate people and will make sure that our baby is sleeping in his stroller when we arrive and if he does wake up during the meal, one of us would take the baby. I will of course call these restaurants to make reservations (dinner no later than 6pm) to confirm that a baby in a stroller would be ok, but wanted to get feedback from local people as well. Any other restaurants suggestions would be great. We love food and we're trying to pick restaurants that are on the louder, more casual side as we have a baby with us. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 09:15 PM

I live in Manhattan and I think it would be just fine to take your baby into any of the restaurants you mentioned.........I think there would be many smiles in your direction......at least I would be smiling
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 11:10 AM
GoTravel

Because space is at such a premium in most restaurants, there may not be actual room for your stroller.

Old Jan 6th, 2007, 04:02 PM

Agree - at most Manhattan restaurants space is at a minimu and at dinner a stroller in the aisle would be an issue. I would stick with places that have a highchair/seat for baby - then you know you'll be really welcome (by other diners and the staff.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 06:13 PM
mp

Actually, Otto is a big place and you'd be comfortable with an infant in a stroller there - (and I've seen many babies/kids there - and eaten with several, too!) but the other places would be problematic.

I've eaten at all of the restaurants - they all welcome children, except Bolo and Esca are a bit more formal IMHO . . . All can get pretty noisy, which can work for or against you with a sleeping infant. This week we were eating a pre-theatre early dinner in the front room of the Gramercy Tavern, and a group of 30 somethings were drinking near us. One of the young women had her 3 month old on her shoulder - she stood next to the table rocking him . . and even though the place was packed and noisy, the baby fussed for 5 minutes and then completely conked out - very sweet. But she never put the infant down - more tiring with and 8 month old . . .
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 06:16 PM
mp

oops - I meant to add of course, a small, narrow umbrella or folding stroller, not one of those huge bugaboo SUV things so currently popular!!!!