Search

NYC Apt Rental

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Apt Rental

UpperWestSide or Midtown for 3 nights for 2 adults and 2 kids ages 8 and 6 for May 1-4. Studio ok - prefer doorman/elevator type. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:27 PM

Off h and, you're going to have trouble getting 4 people in a studio without falling on each other. And most apartments want you to rent for more than 3 nights.

You could check VRBO.

but I would look at Radio City Apartments to see if you can get a decent rate. Also some of the less expensive hotels on the upper west side (Beacon or even Newton) have rooms that can take 4 - and some have fridges.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:09 PM

Most studios barely have room for two, with a necessity for putting the "murphy" bed up or closing up the sofa bed just to have a place to sit. I can't image 4 in a studio.

And it's going to be tough to find a regular apartment that rents for just 3 nights. I think the apartment hotels are your best bet -- Affina, or the above mentioned Radio City, or Flathotel.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate your response but what is the difference between a studio and a hotel room? Oh right - a kitchen! Just wondering if anyone has stayed at a VRBO in NYC that was recommendable.

I appreciate your concern but we will use it like a hotel room (where we fall all over each other) except we can have some breakfast without going out. Or maybe we can splurge and get a 1 bedroom.

Any recommendations out there?
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 03:22 AM

Nothing wrong to using it like a hotel room, but in a studio apartment it is possible that you all won't have a bed. A studio is usually set up for one or 2 people. This is not in the area you asked for but you might want to look at Eastgate Tower hotel. My brother and his family stayed there and were pleased; not fancy but clean, good location (close to GCT, Empire State, etc) and the price was reasonable for the spring break week they were there.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 03:47 AM

I see that there are a few apts on VRBO that do suggest you can rent them by the night and less than a week.
I found a great apt (a one bedroom) on VRBO in midtown that I've rented twice but it is only available by the week. So to answer your question, yes -- VRBO can be fine if you find something that will meet your needs.

Another issue is that frankly most of those apartments are actually "illegal" sublets, particularly those in doorman/elevator buildings. If you stay there you will probably be asked to "pretend" to be friends of the owners or leasers, not renters.

I think of a studio as a permanent type apartment, one set up for one or two people, but with one bed which is usually also a sofa or a bed that goes into the wall for storage. I'm still trying to picture a studio apartment with sleeping arrangements for 4. On the other hand, maybe what you're really talking about is simply a hotel room that has a kitchenette. There are more of those in hotels and apartment hotels, than in buildings which are really set up as apartment buildings.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 04:51 AM

erinnq:

Have a look at www.milburnhotel.com on the upper west side. My DH and I stayed there a number of years ago and it met our needs, nice area, close to the subway, places to eat etc.

On the Milburn hotel website it says children under 12 stay free so this may well work for you.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

Sandy
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 09:10 AM

Renting an apartment in NYC is a really dangerous proposition. There are scam artists at every turn, many short term rentals are illegal (most buildings don't allow it) and most apartments that are decent and legit cannot be rented for less than a week.

You should concentrate on an apt/hotel or b & b/inn with apt. style rooms.

Upper westside
beaconhotel.com
http://www.milburnhotel.com/
jacksbandb.com

Midtown
radiocityapartments.com
nycsalisbury.com
blakelyhotelny.com
http://buckinghamhotel.com/
www.affinia.com
Murray Hill East Suites
Best Western Hospitality
San Carlos
Kimberly
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 09:39 AM

Many hotel rooms that will hold the beds for 4 people are larger than NYC studio apartments (which are usually meant for 1 person). Just as many hotel rooms in NYC only hold 2 people in 1 double bed - so by getting a room for 4 you have already upgraded to a larger room.

Yes, quite a few studios in NYC have only a murphy bed (a small double that folds down out of a large cabinet) or a sofabed that pulls out.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 09:51 AM

just bookmarking. thanks!
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:21 AM

We stayed at the Milburn a few years ago with our kids, then aged 9 and 6. It's on the Upper West Side. We were in a one-bedroom suite with the bedroom in one room and a sofabed in the other, plus we had a kitchenette. I liked the more-residential location, the kids loved taking the subway, and every morning my son and I went to get bagels for the whole family for breakfast, which we ate in our room. It was nice, as you can imagine, to have two separate rooms, so we could stay up later after the kids went to sleep. In addition to nearby Zabar's, there were other grocery stores around, where we could pick up milk, fruit, etc.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 02:23 PM

We stayed in a studio apartment the first time we went to NYC which was lovely - basic but modern and clean on Upper West Side round the corner from Central Park and near 72nd Street subway station. They also do one beds etc... and real people also live in the block so it is very legitimate and full of like minded people not a hostel vibe! The name is Woo Goo - they have several sights round NYC- website link for Upper West Side pls find below
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-7033...rk_west_side-i
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 03:22 PM

Oh my God. Woogo are the biggest scam artists in NYC. Do NOT under any circumstances use this co. or do business with them under any of their other names.

http://fodors.com/forums/pgMessages....archText=woogo

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34828552
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 07:52 PM
hdm

I'm hoping we'll be in NY in late May or early June for about a week and I'd love to stay in an apartment this time. I'd like one bedroom, a reasonable kitchen -- small is OK but usable -- and a dining area that can seat 6 or 8 so around a table so we can entertain friends for dinner while we're there. Location is flexible as long as it's central. UWS would be our first choice but we'd consider others.

I've used vrbo with good results in Europe but never in the USA. Am I really taking a risk? I've seen several fine looking apartments on the site but should I ask one of our friends to check them out before we book? I'd really prefer not to do this.

Suggestions? Have any of you stayed in a specific apartment you'd recommend either on vrbo or another apartment site?
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 05:34 AM

hdm, you don't mention a budget but NeoPatrick and someone else I know stayed at this 1 bedroom in midtown around 50th st. & 8th ave. and loved it. That was more than a year ago though.

bigapplegetaway.com

I don't know of any specific apartments on the UWS except for those in b & b's (and many of those are studios).

http://innnewyorkcity.com/ has at least 1 one bedroom

Jacksbandb.com is a good budget place and has a few 1 bedrooms.

The Beacon and the Milburn are apt/hotels with some 1 bedrooms.

Nyhabitat.com is a reputable agency that does vacation apt. rentals. Other than that, be very careful dealing with any website with private listings. Lots of scams.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 05:39 AM

Just reread your post. I think you may be dreaming to think you'll find a 1 bedroom to seat 6-8 people for dinner. Most people who live in NYC don't have the space for a dinner party that size. The Library Suite at Inn NYC might work but don't know how expensive it is.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 05:59 AM
hdm

Thanks, mclaurie. I'm going to look at all of those and bigapplegetaway looks good too. I could probably manage my party there if I did a more casual buffet-style. It's not the biggest issue. The price is fine and I'd even go up to $300 a night. I really like the idea of taking an apartment that someone I know has personally recommended.

There's one on vrbo, though, that I just love but it's booked through May and half of June and, I dunno, it just seems to be too good to be true. Look at vrbo 87440. I know the location is on Riverside Boulevard which is just a sort of little hook off Riverside Drive.

Any thoughts? Am I being paranoid?

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 06:33 AM

Well to my knowledge, the ONLY thing on Riverside Blvd. (how do you know that's where it is?) is the Trump Condo complex called Trump Place.

http://uwsdevelopments.wordpress.com...nd-72-streets/

It is a condo and I suppose it's possible that this family is allowed to rent it out when they're not there. I would assume those not available dates are when they're in residence.

But a big red flag for me would be the $750 security deposit. I suppose that's one way to separate the wheat from the chaff, but it could also be a very lucrative scam. I'd be worried. It's also pretty far west on the Hudson. I'd be curious to hear what NeoPatrick thinks. He's very good at seeing through these ads. What is it you like so much?
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 09:02 AM

Most apartments in NYC are SMALL. The average one bedroom apartment doesn't have a dining are - never mind a dining room. Typically you find a cafe table that will fit 2 people - or perhaps a gate leg that can be opened to fit 4 (but then you have trouble walking past it).

I know, since I sold my (very large - about 1000 square foot) one bedroom not that long ago. I did have room for a table for 6 that could have a leaf pulled out to sit 8. But, the average NYC one bedroom is about 550/600 sq feet - mine was almost double that.

A one bedroom with a dining area for 6 to 8 people is distinctly rare - and probably in the luxury class. You MAY find this on VRBO - but not many. You would probably have to try corporate rentals - and expect to pay big bucks.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 09:36 AM
hdm

I know where it is by accident. I'd looked into it last year and the owner sent me a map because I knew Riverside Drive but not Boulevard. My understanding is that s/he didn't realize that the address was above the map (you had to scroll up to see it). The west-ish location doesn't bother me -- we're walkers.

Re size of NY apartments, I do understand what you're saying but there must be anomolies. My friends who live on the UWS had a small condo. Over time, they bought the one next door and rented it out till they could afford to take it themselves. They broke through and doubled their apartment size. I know that they're not rich although they both have good incomes. And they don't come from wealthy families.

And, of course, nytraveler's apartment was an anomoly.

I'm sure you can see why I'm sceptical about that Riverside Blvd apartment, although it may be one of the ones in the Trump condo. Do other rentals not ask for deposits? I think we gave a deposit for our apartment in Italy.

You ask what I like about the apartment. Well, it looks great -- spacious and nicely decorated -- and location-wise, it's just a few minutes walk from two sets of friends. Also, of course, there's that dining table. And the price works out to $300 a night which is hugely less than I'd pay for a hotel room with that much space.

Patrick? What do you think?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -