nyc: apartment advice pl

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nyc: apartment advice pl

I have been offered an apartment in October on 49th street between 9 and 10th avenues. I am a single mother travelling with an almost 5 year old; we want to see the sights and shop, and don't mind using transport to get around. Could somebody advise whether this is a good area in which to stay, with medium cost restaurants?
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 05:13 AM
Neopolitan

isabelmei, it's a great spot. The nearest subway is at 49th and 8th. 9th Avenue in that area is filled with great inexpensive to medium priced restaurants of all types. My favorite little coffee place is at the corner of 49th and 9th, called The Coffee Pot. They also have great sandwiches, salads, and pastries to go. The rather upscale Amish Market is a great place for fresh fruits and vegetables as well as superb prepared foods. It's on 9th near 49th. I've also noticed a couple playgrounds in that general area, but can't be more specific.

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 05:20 AM

Agree. It's an excellent spot in a great neighborhood. 9th Ave. between 45th and 55th is the epicenter for medium and low cost great neighborhood restaurants. It's also very convenient to sights, shops, and public transit. Lucky you.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 05:54 AM

I'll third it! When going to the theater, this is where we choose to eat and drink. It's a great location, just far enough away from the crowds of tourists and just close enough to be "in the action". The neighboorhood and buildings still have character too (15 years ago, it was a bit of a mess). Enjoy!

John
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:31 PM

I agree the area's fine but am curious about price and details of the apt. Is it a great deal? From whom are you renting the apt.? Just want to make sure it's legit and makes sense.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Neopolitan

Gee, I took the phrase, "I have been offered" to mean the apartment was free, like being loaned by a friend or business acquaintance. NO?

I have seen a number of places for rent in that block, and frankly many are pretty dumpy, and most have no elevators, so the climb can be great. For free I'd put up with a lot, but if this is a rental, maybe you should run it by some of us.

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 02:46 PM

That's why I asked the question, Neo. I've seen people use the phrase "I've been offered..." when meaning from rental agents, ads from craigslist etc. My point is the location is fine but that doesn't mean just any apt. in that location is fine.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 05:28 PM

isabelmei,

did you find this apt on craigslist or the like?

if so, and if you have a good experience, would you mind emailing me the info? sounds like the kind of place that DH and i would look into.

thank you!

[email protected]
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the positive feedback on the neighbourhood. Yes, I am renting for a reasonable price (or at least reasonable if you are visiting from UK with excellent exchange rate). I am using an agency called City Lights. I am happy to take my chances on the apartment, as have stayed in some pretty grungy NYC hotels for the same price; and having a kitchen will be a real bonus. Fingers crossed....
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Good luck, Isabelmei! And please let us know how your trip and the apt turns out.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Neopolitan

Interesting. I'm always interested in good rentals in NYC particularly that neighborhood. I tried googling City Lights and couldn't find a thing. Is this a British agency? The only apartments I've seen in that block (and there are a number particularly on NYCHabitat are really dismal.
But good luck.

Old Jul 29th, 2006, 01:43 PM

Don't know about City Lights but try metro-home.com. I have had this site bookmarked for sometime. Hope to one day spend a month in NYC and do all those things I never seem to get to on short visits.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Neopolitan

Here's where we stayed in May for 10 days, 50th between 8th and 9th. It was wonderful. Sadly the price has been raised from $200 to $225 a night, but with no tax, that's still like under $200 for a hotel room, and about $100 a night less than that one bedroom midtown from metro-home.

http://www.bigapplegetaway.com/

Old Jul 29th, 2006, 02:09 PM

Whoa--one of those apartments on the metrohome site is a dead ringer for ours on E 70th Street. Plain beige walls, wood floors, vanilla "rental" kitchen, completely characterless . . . sigh. . . how I miss it! We had spectacular windows in every room except the baths, including north and south exposures in our living/dining and kitchen. We could see the twin towers from our living room. Did not fully appreciate at the time living in a three bedroom, two bath apartment with own washer/dryer. It was heaven.

Thanks for that link--a quick and invigorating trip down memory lane . . .
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 03:42 PM

Patrick - The City Lights website is http://citylightsnewyork.com/ if you want to check them out.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 04:29 AM

I know of citylights, isabel, and think it's fine. Here's an apt. from nyhabitat.com, another agency, on the same block (could be the same apt).
http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-ap.../vacation/6240

I assume you realize the building is likely to be a "walk up" meaning no elevator (lift).

While the area is fine, it's not particularly attractive imo. Coming with a 5 yr old, I think I would chose the upper westside or the village, both areas that feel a bit more residential.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Neopolitan

mclaurie, funny you found that NYCHabitat one. I had seen that as well, and it always scared me. I especially like the part where it says that the pictures are only a model and that other apartments in the building you might get would not be the same in layout or even "basic decor". What a frightening statement that is -- and it isn't cheap. The point about walk-up is also a good one. Those buildings are mainly 5 to 7 stories, and I'd sure want to know how many flights I had to walk up.
By the way, there is apparently a fairly large school in that block (or maybe in the next one? I've been caught in the onslaught of kids as school let out.
I'm not sure I'd agree about finding a different neighborhood. Hell's Kitchen (now called Clinton) including that immediate area is filled with nice younger families, and I wouldn't give a second thought about safety for a 5 year old (who certainly won't be out running around by himself). My only concern would be the actual apartment and the actual building it is in.

Old Jul 30th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Neopolitan

And regarding the attractiveness of the area, in the very next block on 49th between 8th and 9th is the lovely Worldwide Plaza -- fountains, cafes, trees, and beautiful outdoor spaces surrounding some very upscale apartments.

Old Jul 30th, 2006, 07:54 AM

Bookmarking for my future reference. Thanks very much.

Sandy
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info: on balance, seems like a good thing and reasonable area. And luckily we are on the 2nd floor