Search

Moving to NYC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to NYC

I will hopefully be moving to nyc in late aug early sept. when is the best time to start looking for an apartment?
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:04 PM

I would say NOW.

Next question?
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:06 PM

Just keep in mind that you will be competing with recent graduates for NYC apartments.

Does the "hopefuly" depend on a job offer? Because you will need that too.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:07 PM

And in August and September the OP will be competing with college students who will be starting classes.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:15 PM

It's never too early to start looking for an apartment. NYC is a big city. Do you have a inkling about where you want to live? Manhattan, one of the other boroughs? Uptown, downtown, eastside, westside? You'll find rents will vary considerably depending on neighborhood, size of apartment, location, etc. rents are hih so be prepared for sticker shock. Good places don't stay vacant very long. It helps to be ready to sign a lease "on the spot". If you don't sign today the apartment may not be there tomorrow. Whatever you do don't rent a place sight unseen unless you are very familiar with the building and/or neighborhood. If you have friends or relatives in the area consider staying with them while you look. If that's not an option make a few pre-move visits to search for the apartment that's rigt for you. Better to sign a lease early and not move in right away than go without accomodations. Good Luck!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 02:06 PM

"Looking"? I guess you can start looking now, but if you plan on waiting to sign a lease in August or September, you'll be looking at apartments that won't be available.

Rental units move FAST in Manhattan. Many go "on the market" and are gone in 1-3 days. New Yorkers "look" for apartments with their checkbooks in hand (as well as their personal financial information such as proof of income).

What should you do now? Get a feel for what's available in general. Understand your budget. Visit www.craigslist.com and just look.

When you actually move to NYC, that's when you'll find the apartment you'll actually lease.

So relax. Start seriously searching in mid-August, but realize that you most likely won't have anything until you're here, feet on the ground.

Good luck!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 02:33 PM

I should have said that renting an apartment in NYC is unlike renting anywhere else in the USA.

It's extremely competitive and a "sellers" market. You'll need strong financial credentials or a co-signer. When you sign the lease, you'll usually be required to turn over a check for first & last month's rent as well as a one month security deposit. So, if you've found an apt for $1500, you'll need to write a check for $4500 on the spot (that is, if you past the test -- income and/or net worth or co-signer).

Many landlords also require references, for example a previous landlord. Bring them with you. A friend of mine lost an apt because, while he was putting together his list of references, somebody else came along. Landlords/leasing agents will NOT wait for you -- they don't care because it's a fast-moving, ultra-competitive market.

But, again, for now, relax. It's way too early to start seriously looking for specific apartments.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:53 PM

Disagree. It's too early to start looking for a specific apartment - but not too early to learn about the market. You should be deciding now where you want to live (based on where you will work and what you can afford), what size apartment (can you afford more than a studio), will you need to get roommates to pay for the apartment - and get you cash/references in order. So when you do start looking you are ready to move in - there is no considering involved - you look and decide - because it will be gone by the next day.

The above advice about the cash you will need, the references (job znd proof of previous income) and possibly co-signers.

If you give an idea of budget and where you wil be working people can make suggestions on areas to look at.

Also the NYTines has an interactive real estate section that lets you search by a whole bunch of parameters - many include floor plans - that you should look at to get an idea of size, etc of average apartments. Also, check out Craig's list for bargain version of the same.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 07:08 AM

As I said in my first post,

"What should you do now? Get a feel for what's available in general. Understand your budget. Visit www.craigslist.com and just look."

If the person is not in NYC and doesn't have first-hand experience with the neighborhoods, "looking" on the internet is basically a waste of time anyway, but if it makes people feel better, so be it.

Really, the only worthwhile thing the original poster can do now is prepare for the financial scrutiny and lease review process.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:36 AM

If the poster is not near NYC now - they can still provide info to those of us who do live here and we can provide some info about possible neighborhoods, commuting etc.

Also a reality check - so they understand you can't rent anything for $500 - and in a nice area of Manhattan a one-bedroom is $2500 per month - and know how much money they will need to have to start a search.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:12 PM

ooooooooh bold, color AND italics! I guess we are supposed to be impressed?

I agree with NYtraveler, the NYC locals can provide helpful info about possible neighborhoods, commuting etc. The more info the OP can assemble the better prepared they will be when all systems are "go"

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 01:12 PM

I'm more inclined to rec. the NY Times online to a Newbie rather than craigslist -- it will be difficult for the newbie to separate fact from fiction and not get scammed. You can include "No Fee" as part of the search the NYT search and can also see a map of Manhattan.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 01:21 PM

What NYTraveler said. It is never too early to learn about neighborhoods, but it's waaaay too early to look for an apt, unless you plan to pay rent on it from April until you move in Aug/Sept.

With respect to the $$ you will need to move in, I would add to that a broker's fee. I have moved into NYC twice from elsewhere and have found it impossible to find an apt without using a broker. It isn't that there are not no-fee apts available, it's just that when coming from out-of-town, you are at a disadvantage about learning the market, knowing what's good, having access to sources of info on apts, etc. A broker's fee usually runs about 12-15% of a first year's lease.

Also add to the apt costs the cost of a mover (they have to be paid in cash or cashier's check) and various deposits to the building (elevator usage while moving, etc). It is extremely expensive to "get started" in NYC.

Good luck!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 01:46 PM

And it is the fees lisettemac lists that truly make New York a different housing market than anywhere else in the US. The main requirements-- first, last, security, application deposit (applied to move-in costs)-- are typical for big cities in the US.

The necessity to use a broker is pretty unique to NYC (although I don't know about San Francisco or Chicago). I live in southern California and would never need a broker if I were looking for an apartment. Now a house or condo...!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 02:17 PM

You definitely don't need a broker in Chicago. Landlords are only too happy to show you apartments, and though there ARE apartment brokers, it's the landlords who pay their fee. Consequently, IMHO the apartment brokers in Chicago are renting places that are not competitively priced with what you could find just looking through a newspaper or walking around in the neighborhood.

I helped my new graduate daughter move to New York last summer, and it was a SHOCK. We were eventually successful in getting her a place in Park Slop (Brooklyn) which has turned out to be just right for her needs.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 10:06 AM

I agree- definitely begin looking at listings, etc. to get a sense of what your price range can buy. Try to familiarize yourself with neighborhoods, and depending on your budget, look into the boroughs if you'd like. If you can take a visit to walk around and get a feel for things, even better. You can also take in some open houses to get a sense of what apartments look like.

It is definitely too early to think about finding a place. At this point, most listings probably have a May 1 move-in, June at the latest.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 10:25 AM

I agree with the above posters who say that you can start familiarizing yourself with the area, but you can't do anything specific at this time.

Most apts. operate on a 60-90 days notice, so landlords won't know which apartments will be available until that time frame. And they can't show you the apt. before that. Not quite sure what kind of open house Tarheels is referring to, but unlike some other cities, it's rare to find a model apartment to look at. So while you can get a general idea of what buildings are in the area you'd like to live in, and call the rental agent to get an idea of pricing, you won't be able to really "see" anything.

And as others have mentioned, at the point where the apts. will really be available to view and lease (end of May), be prepared to make an immediate decision and have all the financials in order. There is routine multiplier used to determine qualification for a lease, based on your own income or that of a guarantor. I forgot the numbers but others here will know it. Make sure you qualify for what you want (and can get employment verification) or be prepared with a guarantor (who will also have to provide financial verification).

And here's a tip that sometimes works. If you can personally stop in and talk with a doorman or concierge, or even parking attendant, they often have the inside scoop and can point you in the right direction.

Good luck hunting!