Search

Long-term apartment rentals, NYC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 06:59 PM
hdm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long-term apartment rentals, NYC

This is a real longshot, but SO and I were talking about the possibility of living in NYC for about 4 months in 2009. It will be his last sabbatical and I'd love to take part of that year in NY.

In the past, I've used vrbo to rent apartments in Europe. I know there are some on there that offer monthly rates but I wondered if anyone knows other NYC apartment sites, in particular those who rent for months at a time. We'd love to be on the upper side but would consider other areas as well. We don't want to break the bank but we realize it will be expensive but we'll keep our fingers crossed that the Canadian dollar stays strong so we're at least getting our buck's worth. Otherwise, hey, we'd go to London!

Any ideas?
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 07:07 AM
GoTravel

I know the Affinia properties used to specialize in long term rentals.

You may also want to check into house swapping.

Did you look on craigslist?

Old Oct 11th, 2007, 07:29 AM
hdm
Original Poster

thanks GT.

I'll look at Affinia and Craigslist. I don't really want to swap -- if I'm going to have someone live in the house, I have a friend who could use a place of her own for a while. SO will never go for a stranger living there. I've looked at Housecarers.com but they don't seem to have anything in Manhattan.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 09:08 AM

For cragislist be very careful - since there is no one monitoring anything - and some of the apartments listed just don;t exist.

Also - find out if you would be a legal sublet (very unlikely) or if you would have to pretend to be a family member borrowing the apartment.

If you give specifics here someone in the neighborhood can check out the building.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 09:28 AM
hdm
Original Poster

Thanks, nyt. You've reminded me that there was recently a scam on craigslist about exactly that!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 09:40 AM

While Affinia properties do rent long-term, they will probably end up cost over $4000 a month, depending on the hotel. There is a Marriott long-stay hotel on the corner of 3rd Avenue and 37th or 38th Street, but I think the prices of these are similar, if they are even available (often they are booked en masse by corporations).

You'll probably do much much better if you rent privately. Short-term sublets are actually pretty commmon in NYC, though you're likely. I used to look in the Village Voice for such things, but I think Craigslist is the new source, though the caveats about the risks there are well heeded.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 09:41 AM

Sorry ... I didn't really finish my initial thought about short-term sublets. I mean to say that you're likely not to have a lease or legal documentation because these are often done under the table, so to speak. Someone else pointed this out as well.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 09:45 AM

furnishedquarters.com
oakwood.com
are 2 that specialize in monthly rentals. Affinia will probably be too pricey but if you're interested, you should PHONE them. Be very careful using vrbo.com or craigslist. There are more scams than legit rentals it seems right now. Do you know what area you want to be in and a budget?
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 09:58 AM
hdm
Original Poster

It's also occurred to me that we could be in touch with the various universities to see if there are any NY-situated professors going on sabbatical.

Of course, I want to be in what's likely to be an expensive area -- the upper west side would be one of my first choices. I know NYC mostly as a tourist, although we lived in NJ for several years and did day-trips into NY a zillion times. We have friends who live at 72nd and West End Avenue, so that's why that neighbourhood is familiar to me in a more 'residential' way. I don't know areas that I hear about, like Tribeca or Chelsea.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 10:09 AM

There are a number of "b & b"s on the upper west side that might be interested in renting to you for several months.
wymanhouse.com
countryinnthecity.com
http://www.innnewyorkcity.com/
jacksbandb.com

I've seen monthly rentals at Trump Place, the condo development on the UWS. In looking for some links for that, I came across this website with some very interesting links.
http://www.no-fee-rent.com/New_york_...s_websites.htm

There used to be a woman

What 4 months are you thinking about?
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 12:16 PM
hdm
Original Poster

Well, right now this is all very pie-in-the-sky. We're talking about 2009, so we've got some time to plan. We haven't talked about which four months but if I had my choice, I'd pick October to December, coming home just before Christmas. That way we'd miss the heat of summer, have a lovely fall, not too much winter, and we'd still get to enjoy the pre-Christmas festivities before coming home. Of course, SO might have other preferences.