NYC 1 day with kids

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC 1 day with kids

Looking for suggestions for a day in NYC with a 7 year old (boy) and a 12 year old (girl) My DH have been in quite a few times, but never with the kids. Planning for this Friday. Def. want to do Staten Island Ferry for view of Statue of Liberty. Perhaps Central Park - picnic + kids might enjoy a carriage ride. Toys R Us Times Square - mostly because we've told them about the Ferris Wheel inside it. Any other suggestions? Also, perhaps an inexpensive, but fun, place for dinner? Best place (least expensive?) place to park?
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 05:50 AM

The Staten Island Ferry is in a completely different location from Times Sq/Central Park (it's about 4-5 miles south of Times Sq.).

You may want to concentrate in and around the central park area. In the park there is a zoo, carousel, paddle boats, rocks to climb, etc. Arount the park is the Museum of Natural History and Planetarium (Upper West side), whcih your kids would probably enjoy quite a bit. Also the Metrolpolitan Museum of Art (on the East side). There are delis all over where you can pick up a sandwich/picnic lunch, or you can got to the food court at WHole Foods in the Time Warner building for more variety in a take out lunch.

For dinner, what kind of food are you interested in? There's great pizza and salads at John's, BBQ at Vernon's, and many other restaurants, of different kinds.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 06:07 AM

I think if you are intent on doing those 3 things -- SI Ferry, Central Park and Times Square TRU -- that is probably a full day with kids. You will have to get down to the ferry and back again as MFNYC mentioned.

If you can give up the Statue of Liberty, MFNYC has given you some good recs for focusing on the midtown area.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 11:07 AM

I would do the Staten Island Ferry as mentioned. Just a round-trip, walk-on situation is all that you'd need. (I don't know if you have to get off and back on again)

The huge stores in the Times Square/shopping area are awesome in the eyes and minds of kids.

I'd hit a couple of your ideas and fill-in the rest of your time with Central Park, which can be slowed or sped-up to fill your time and interest suitably.

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 12:52 PM

My suggestion is to do the Staten ferry early, at the beginning of your day. The kids will enjoy the Toys R Us. My kids loved the Pokemon/Nintendo Center on Rockefeller Plaza (there is a decent food court downstairs of Rockefeller). Also, if you decide to head to Central Park, take them to Dylan's Candy Bar store (E59th st)--has just about every kind of candy around, in a colorful and fun decor.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great ideas. Statue of Liberty is the one thing both kids said they wanted to see, so that's a must. Staten Island Ferry seemed the quickest way to see it. We're fine on the subway, so I think we'll have time to get from there up to Times Square and then walk up to Central Park (The 7 year old is pretty good about walking). Couple of questions - where in Central Park is the carousel? My hubby and I were looking for it when we were in (without the kids) a couple of weeks ago. Pizza would be fine - or just somewhere fun and casual for burger type things (and possibly a beer for the grown ups!). Just trying to avoid the big chains. Where is John's?
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 02:16 PM

You might look for a map of central park online, I'm sure there is one as part of the conservancy.

Also the Central Park Zoo is excellent for kids and there is a cafe for food and the food is burger but good quality.

If you join the Zoo as a family the price is not bad and you will get a monthly magazine dedicated to animals so it's something to remember your trip for a long time. Also you would have access to the Central Park Zoo, the Bronx Zoo and the Coney Island Aquarium as members for 1 YEAR.

My suggestion would be to start off at Central Park early in the morning, then walk over to Times SQuare do the ferris wheel there (although there will be a LONG line anytime of day) and then take the #1 train from Times Square downtown get off a couple of stops from the ferry and walk down Broadway, so the kids can see some of the sites in the Wall St area, like Wall St, Trinity Church (where Robert Fulton's gravesite is located), and righ behind the Merrill Lynch Building is "ground zero", and stop at St. Paul's Chapel for an inspiring exhibit is not the right word, but can't think of one better, on the tragedy of 9/11. St. Paul's was the place where all the workers went to sleep and eat and get counseling.

The Staten Island is BEST seen at NIGHT, and do the trip over at dusk and see all the lights of the city and the lights on Lady Liberty come up on your trip back, also the breeze will be a welcome relief from you day's tour.

After the ferry ride if you are all still awake you might walk Water St over to the South St. Seaport for a late dinner or at least a great ice cream treat at Pier 17.

Have a great time and enjoy your day.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Fun place for dinner? For kids?

Serendipity.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 03:08 PM

Dear gillybrit,

Hi! When I was little and my parents would take us to NYC I would LOVE to eat at the Hard Rock!!

http://www.hardrock.com/locations/ca...15&MIBEnumID=3

Have a great time!!