Search

NY with 4 girls

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NY with 4 girls

My husband, myself, and our 4 daughters are going to NY for the first time Feb.6-11. Staying at Doubletree in Times Square. Have tickets to Wed. matinee for Lion King. Girls are 13, 11 and 7 year old twins.
Can we fit in one taxi, do they let someone sit on mom's lap?
Can we wear jeans most places?
Any suggestions for dining and what to do is greatly appreciated. I'd like to surprise the family with a waiting limo (big treat) at the airport. Suggestions? I'd like to tour the city on Mon., please suggest a tour of the city. Just found this site tonight. Trying to absorb everything!!!
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 02:32 AM

One care service/limo company that I have used and which gets frequent reccos on this board is Tel Aviv Car Service, give them a call at 1-800-222-9888 or take a look at their website at http://www.telavivlimo.com/

Not sure if the cab driver will let 5 people in a cab, most won’t, but as 3 of them are children they may be OK with it. You may have to do some convincing.

Tall order for a “tour of the city” in one day. NYC is huge, and Manhattan itself is very large and IMO it would be hard to “see” it in one day. You are there for a week so can spread things out. What are you interests? Museums or shopping? Beyond the obvious Empire State Building, 5th Avenue, etc. there are dozens of museums, many of which have programs for children. A guidebook would give you particulars. Fodors has a good book called “Around New York City with Kids” that might be very useful to you.

While pricey, a bus tour of Manhattan may be the best way to start, esp in February as you won’t want to walk around that much. Take a look at http://www.graylinenewyork.com/ . There are uptown and downtown loops, and you can buy tickets good for 2 or more days.

Could be quite cold in February so I imagine outdoor activities are out, but consider skating in Central Park or Rockefeller Center. The Natural History Museum, the Intrepid Air, Sea and Space Museum are very popular with kids. Try to avoid them on weekends, as they are jammed and doubly so in the winter when there are few outdoor activities for kids. I don’t believe you can reserve tickets in advance for the Natural History or other museums, but check the websites. You can reserve tickets for the shows at the Hayden Planetarium (which is part of the Natural History Museum), which are very good. The website for the American Museum of Natural History is http://www.amnh.org/. Website for the Intrepid Air, Sea and Space Museum is http://www.intrepidmuseum.com/

Could be a bit cold for a ferry tour, but they do have inside cabins. Great around dusk as the lights are coming up. Take a look at www.nywaterway.com and http://www.circleline.com/.

One of my favourite places is the Lower East Side Tenement Museum. You can do a walking tour of the area and also visit their museum, which is a "tenement" apartment building. The Lower East Side is where many immigrants first started life in the US, including many from Europe. You and your kids might find it interesting. Take a look at http://www.tenement.org/. The lower east side abuts China Town, Little Italy, Soho, etc and is good for exploring, shopping and restaurants. Chinese New Year starts Feb 12 so it might be interesting to walk around China town.

You can wear jeans everywhere except for the better restaurants. Unfortunately no one dresses up any more for the theatre, esp for matinees. Most museums have coat checks so you don’t have to lug your coats around.

Run a search here for restaurants. Two of my favourites in the theatre district that I think kids would like are below:

Orso
22 West 46th Street.
(Between 8th and 9th Ave)
Tel: 212- 489-7212
http://www.orsorestaurant.com

Italian, good pasta and other specilalities. Great huge deserts. The have good pizzas too.

Café Un Deux Trois
123 West 44th St
(Between 6th Ave & Broadway)
Tel: 212-354-4148
www.cafeundeuxtrois.biz

Has a noisy bistro atmosphere which the kids may like, they also wax tablecloths and crayons so the younger children can entertain themselves. They have a little bit of a sophisticated French menu, but the kids should find something they like. You can see menus on the website.

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 04:19 AM
TC

Here are guidebooks related to kids in NY.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...814866-5723301

Also take a look at:
www.newyorkkids.net
www.ny.com/kids
www.gocitykids.com
www.parentsknow.com

Your oldest might like shopping in Chinatown for "designer" purses and watches. FAO Schwartz is a must with kids.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 04:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Your kids are at great ages to enjoy NY. The american girl company has opened an american girl place in NY. I am not sure of it's location, but if your girls read or collect these dolls, it would be a must see. There is a restaurant called mars2112. You sit in a rocket ship and fly to mars. MY kids (girls) thought this was very fun. The Lion King is great and your girls will love it. My kids liked the planetarium and the Museum of Natural History. I am not sure about cab limits. (We are a foursome.)I would plan a nice lunch in one of the fancier NY restaurants. Tavern on the Green has a room with all crystal chandiliers. (I do not know how good the food is these days.)Definitely eat pizza!!!! The pizza is the best in the world (my opinion). I think casual is the way everyone dresses these days. Bring one nice pair of pants for the girls so you can dine nicer. There are so many great restaurants in new york and your kids are old enough to sit through a good meal. Enjoy.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 04:35 AM
GoTravel

It is illegal to have six people in one taxi. I would suggest the bus or subway.

The easiest place for you to get two cabs will be in front of any hotel. Ask the concierge to hail one for you and tip him a couple of dollars.

You'll need to get a car service to and from the airport with six people especially since four of yours are children.

Yes, you can wear jeans most places.

I highly suggest you make sure the children have rubber soled boots, hats, scarves, and gloves along with a good winter coat.

Best tour of the city is the Grayline Double Decker Tour bus but I'm not sure that is feasable if it is colder than 55 degrees outside.

Take the Staten Island Ferry for fantastic views of the Statue of Liberty, Lower Manhattan, and the Brooklyn Bridge.

Again, you cannot fit six people in a regular cab.

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 04:45 AM

Do not plan on taking one cab with 6 people. You will have to split up, or walk, or take the subway. Buy a Zagats restaurant guide before you go and line up a few restaurants that look good. You will not regret having spent the money on it. John's Pizzeria in Times Square is good for families, as is Camine's on 44th between Broadway and 8th. Portions are family style so be careful what you oder - it will be a TON of food. You will have a blast! Dress warm!
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 05:37 AM

By law NYC cabs can carry 4 passengers. If the fifth is a very small child you might get away with it - but many drivers would refuse you - since they can be charged with the offense. No cabs will take 6 people. Your choice is 2 cabs or subway /bus. For most things the subway is the best choice - fastest and most convenient. Obviously, - since this is a city you should walk wherever possible - but if it turns really cold again that may not be so much fun.

For the airport - do you mean a real limo (steretch Caddy or Mercedes with TV, bar etc) or just a car service. the former will be quite expensive. If you mean a car service - info has been provided above - just realize that if you ask them to meet the flight and its late you will be charged for waiting time (I think its about $40 per hour). Also - tell them youwill be 6 plus luggage so they send a vehicle large enough for all of you.

You can wear jeans during the day. Many people also wear them to the theater - IMHO tres tacky - but esp if the weather is bad you will see this. For casuale restaurants jeans are OK - but if you plan on going anyplace the least bit nicer - please try to wear real clothes - even if only cords or khakis with a nice sweater.

dining: Do not go to any chain restaurants. Do not go to any theme restaurants. (Any in either of these categories wil be awful food and overpriced - they cost much more in NYC than elsewhere.) Stay away from Tavern on the Green at all costs.

You do not say where you are staying - so can;t provide much restaurant info. One fiun place for kids - but the food is only OK - is Ellen's Stardust diner with singing wait staff.
Menupages.com allows you to sort NYC restaurants by neighborhood and flavor - and has actual menus/prices.

Best best for kids: Museum of Natural History, Central Park with the zoo (if weather allows) and some sort of a boat ride (either free Staten Island Ferry with view of Statue of Liberty or Circle Line around Manhattan Island).

Do not reco the city bus tours - it's hard to seem uch unless you're on the open top - and Feb is usually much too cold for that.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 06:17 AM

Since you are staying in times Sq. be sure to pop into the Toys R Us for 10 minutes and ride the full size three story Ferris Wheel, walk thru the two story all pink Barbie Dream House and enjoy the life size Shoots and Ladders game pieces. Fun, free and sure to please the girls. I second John's Pizza and suggest you go after the matinee which should put you there before the crowded dinner time. Ice skating in Central Park is fun and could be followed up with a carriage ride through the park. You will be right by the Plaza Hotel which your girls may remember was the scene of Home Alone. Enjoy!
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 06:57 AM

definately make a lunch reservation at American Girl store (restaurant is in the store) I took my 13 yr old and even if they don't like the dolls or collect them - you can "borrow" a doll for lunch to sit w/you; food is kid friendly and funny (choc puddding in flower pots) and the store is a sight of toys/books etc.. it's across from Rockefeller Center - their website has all the info for reservations --- also Times Square is fun for kids, huge ToysRUs store, MTV store, etc
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
NY traveler: Is Tavern on the Green's food that bad? I remember it being so so , but the atmosphere was wonderful. Has it gotten worse? Just curious. I haven't been there in about 15 years, but the crystal room was so neat.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 02:44 PM

For TOG - if you order defensively - something really simple - like a salad that it would be hard for them to ruin - it might rise to mediocre. But there are so many better places - why spend the money and time on this one? (For a pretty view - go to River Cafe - the prix fixe dinner is only about $80 - and we have always found it excellent - and the views are spectacular.)