Search

NY Theater Picks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 04:47 PM
Angel

NY Theater Picks

Can anyone recomend a NY play or musical that it would be possible to get tickets to this month (last week of Oct)?

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 04:53 PM
rqf

Tickets are available for almost every play and musical with the exception of The Producers. This is the current situation and it could change by the end of the month.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 05:02 PM
Angel

I couldn't get tickets for Mamma Mia either. Do you have any recommendations?

There is something I am confused about regarding NY theater, which may have been addressed already ... if so, I apologize. How is theater suffering just because people haven't been going in the last 2 weeks, when many shows are sold out months in advance and tickets are nonrefundable.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 05:38 PM
lisa

Check out telecharge.com -- it has a complete listing of broadway and off-broadway shows.

You might try "Tale of the Allergists' Wife" with Linda Lavin, Stomp, Proof or other plays.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 06:30 PM
Howard

To answer Angel: Only two shows are currently sold out--The Producers and The Lion King. The only way to get tickets for them is to wait line for hours the day of the performance and hope you'll get a cancellation. (Mamma Mia will undoubtedly join that select group when it opens soon.)
Currently, tickets are available for all other shows, many of which you can get at the discount TKTS booth. While the situation should improve by the end of October, you will still have a choice. However, if you're set on seeing a particular show or shows, obviously the only way to guarantee getting tickets is to buy them now!
What to see? Tell us a bit about your taste in shows.
(To Lisa: Linda Lavin has long since left The Tale of the Allergist's Wife and has been replaced by Valerie Harper.)

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 12:44 PM
Lisa

Howard -- you are so right! Somehow they are similar in my mind (and I guess in the producers' minds). Thanks for the catch!

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 12:36 PM
Angel

Howard: My taste in musicals or plays is probably secondary. I am taking clients out, so I need something that's quality, but not necessarily generic. I took clients to see "Kiss Me Kate" and almost hated it. I don't think they were impressed either. The "Producers" would have probably been perfect;I know they wanted to see that. I think they would enjoy something that wasn't too "mainstream" as long as it was good. I know they liked Cabaret. Any suggestions?

Is it possible to get good seats when you get them the day of?

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 01:38 PM
Ellen

What about Rent?

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 02:44 PM
Howard

Angel, if you didn't like Kiss Me Kate, then perhaps I'm the wrong person to recommend shows to you, since we thought it was excellent (as did the NY Times in a return visit to the show within the past couple weeks).
Having said that, I would recommend (in alphabetical order) Chicago, Contact and The Full Monty.
If you're looking for something non-mainstream, then try Urinetown. I haven't seen it, but the reviews were good.