NY Metrocard for Kids?

Nov 2nd, 2008, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

NY Metrocard for Kids?

I'm taking my 10 year old grandson to New York this week and wonder whether there is a Metrocard for kids/students or do children over 44 inches have to pay full adult fare? We'll be there six days so I've already decided on a seven day Metrocard for me.
Nov 2nd, 2008, 07:26 AM

Hi, moolyn. That does sound fun. I hope you write up your excellent adventures. (regret I don't know the answer to your question.)
Nov 2nd, 2008, 07:29 AM

Your grandson will need a regular Metrocard. The only age-based discounts are for senior citizens (over 65).
Nov 2nd, 2008, 08:06 AM

From the MTA website:

Up to three children 44 inches tall and under ride for free on subways and local buses when accompanied by a fare paying adul
Nov 2nd, 2008, 09:37 AM

Yes - he will need his own Metro Card (free is only for really small kids). Or - if you get a card with multiple trips you can share one - but be charged for 2 trips each time you go through.

(Many local students do get free passes through their schools - since city doesn't provide buses for many.)
Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

It sounds like I'm too young and he's too tall! I can't really complain about this though, can I?

Looking over our plans, I think that two seven day Metrocards are probably our best bet so we can save our feet for exploring the places and areas we want to see.
Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Ooops! Thanks to you all for posting. And Stoke, thanks for remembering my Dordogne report. I'll take notes on this one too