NY Marriott Marquis closes subway?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which would be the closest subway and bus stops for this hotel? Would also appreciate if anyone knows which have the fewest stairs! thanks.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 07:31 AM

The closest subway stop is going to be the 42nd St. Times Square stop. It has connections to a number of different lines, but it is a huge subway station and it can be a long walk from one line to the other. As a rule, the express trains are on a lower platform than local trains and, therefore, require more stairs. So, you might stick to local trains, if you aren't in a hurry.

You can also take buses, which will "kneel" for you if you aren't good with stairs.

Ignore the posters who say the subway is filled with savages. That's nonsense.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Actually, since the Marriott Marquis is closer to 46th Street, the closest subway would be the 49th Street station on the yellow line N, R, W. It's also less crowded walking down from 49th Street, if that's something you want to consider. The 42nd Street station may have more stairs due to the many lines that stop there.

BTW, we may be savages, but we're helpful savages.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:25 AM

I think the subway stop at Times Square 42nd St may have an elevator. Alot of the stops these days have elevators, especially the very busy stops, including 34th St and 8th and 34th and 6th.

The express trains usually run on the same level as the local trains but on a middle or separate platform, so most times you can walk from one side local train to catch the train on the other side express.

There are several bus lines that go right by the hotel and you will find probably the most convenient at 7th Ave and 42nd St, so just a couple of blocks away. Right by the hotel, Broadway and 7th Ave actually cross, so traffic in that area is bad, and sometimes it's not easy to cross the street.

Hope this helps, and have a great time while you are here.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Wantsomesun, you're right. The 42nd Street station has elevators and excalators as well. I was actually going to come back and post corrections re: stairs. But you have to get off at very specific areas. For instance, the elevator and escalator is at 42nd Street and 7th Avenue.

Enjoy NY. I know I do!