Search

NY Fall Foliage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2016, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NY Fall Foliage

We have 5-6 days to do a fall foliage tour in late-ish October. I think that's too late for New England, but might be right for parts of New York. What might be a nice itinerary? We have relatives in Conn., and will likely just drive from Md to get where we're going.

My husband was going to plan this trip (I'm the family trip planner) and he hasn't done a thing, so I want to see if it's too late, or if I can put together something quickly. If I can get a rough itinerary, I can look for nice places to stay.

Thanks as ALWAYS.

Alice
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 12:15 PM
J62

Late October is too late for anywhere in NY. I recommend you look further south, somewhere around MD/VA area.
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 12:46 PM
J62

Here's a good website to check out.

https://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 04:40 PM

That would work only for NYC - the suburbs are at their height in mid Oct - as is the Hudson Valley.
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 09:00 AM

You're prime time for Hudson Valley, see map in link below:

http://www.newenglandfoliage.net/

There are lots of Hudson Valley Itinerary posts here with ideas on places to stay.
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 09:24 AM

As the above-mentioned New England foliage website shows, late October probably will NOT be too late for peak foliage in the Hudson Valley in New York. In fact, in recent years, the peak period has even stretched into November. So, stay on course with your plans.

Hey, even the foliage is not quite at peak, it's still probably the most beautiful time in this beautiful area! And, definitely include a visit to Storm King Arts Center when you come. Always an A-list site to visit, it's a must-see that time of the year.
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

I'm so relieved, the first few posts made me feel like we were going to have to wait ANOTHER year. We will definitely look at the Hudson valley, and also pay attention to the foliage watch web sites.

Thanks so much, everyone!

Alice
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 12:44 PM

If you're coming to the Hudson Valley (my home) to look at leaves, please drive at the speed limit, and, if you want to look at leaves, pull over, and let the people who live here get on with their business.

I know why Parisians and Manhattanites have a reputation for being rude, it's because of the people who stop in the middle of the sidewalk and point at the buildings. It's the same here, but with leaves.

Some of us are NASCAR fans, and we'll put you in the wall!
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 01:03 PM

If you're coming to the Hudson Valley (my home) to look at leaves, please drive at the speed limit, and, if you want to look at leaves, pull over, and let the people who live here get on with their business.

_________

yes that week must be a burden.

And NY'ers are not rude, unless someone thinks we are. We almost had 60 million visitors last year, it just hard to say "howdy" to everyone.

And yes those leaf peepers are akin to serial killers.
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 01:06 PM
J62

It may help to be more specific about what "Late October" means.

Having lived in the mid Hudson Valley for many years I disagree 100% with the map here http://www.newenglandfoliage.net/ that says Late Oct/Early Nov is "average" foliage time (not sure what "average" even means.

I cannot recall a single year where there was any color (besides dull brown) left on trees nearing Halloween, let alone peak color (= vibrant red/orange) you get from maple trees.

I know howard is also a frequent visitor to the same area, so his input is also valid... even if different from mine.

the area I am most familiar with is Poughkeepsie north to Albany.
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 01:09 PM
J62

I have to laugh gb944. My current home is Saratoga, and we are currently overrun with "down staters" for track season. The worst are the drivers who think they can chicane through pedestrians in a cross walk as they run the red light.

Happy to send them all back down state for leaf peeping...
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 02:37 PM

J62, we may disagree for one simple reason: I live about 140-150 miles south of you in the lower Hudson Valley and thus our peak foliage season would certainly arrive later than yours!

Be assured, Alice9, that I have photos taken as late as the last part of November and they show foliage at near peak, peak and slightly after peak

I'm not saying that you are guaranteed peak foliage in late October, but based on the history of the past few years, the odds are in your favor!
Old Aug 20th, 2016, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

I'm very aware that the leaves change at different times different years - they do here as well. So I'll pay attention to all the information on this. We'll probably stay at the southern-ish end, we're starting by visiting some family in Conn.

I'll be happy being away for a little while at a nice time of year!

Alice