Reload this Page >

NY City 1 Day with Children 7&11

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 11:24 AM
Joe

What are the best sites to see in New York with two children. We only have one day and would like to see as much as possible. Do we bring along scooters for the kids to keep up?

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 11:37 AM
hamlet

You and your children may love going to the top of the Empire State Building or World Trade Center to enjoy the view on a clear day. Also, they will have a ball at FAO Schwartz (although they may beg you to buy everything in sight). Some Broadway and Off-Bway shows are good for young children too. Chelsea Piers is a sports facility where kids can rent equipment and play. Also, if you are here before Labor Day you can see all the creatively decorated "cows on parade" throughout the city. There are about 500 of them and they are all over. You can explore the city and check out the cows at the same time. Forget the scooters, I think it will be more of a hassle than it's worth. There are endless possibilities, if you let us know if there are particular interests we can give you more ideas.

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 11:38 AM
ellen griswold

You will have a great time! Yes, you can see lots in one day. Can you stay in the City? Try to - it'll make a difference in how much you can see and be an attraction in itself!

IMHO, don't GO to Ellis Island; take the Long Island Ferry that goes right BY the Statue of Liberty. If you actually visit the Island, that will take the bulk of your day. Yes, it's great to see the Statue up close and visiting the museum is very moving...but remember you only have ONE day. Your kids will see the Lady fairly close AND a great view of the city AND you can point out that MANY people take that ferry twice a day to/from work etc. etc.

Walk through the neighborhoods. Go to the World Trade Center, So Ho, Greenwich, take them to FAO Schwartz and have a pretzel from a vendor. Point out The Plaza - or stay there! Stroll awhile through Central Park. Peek into some of the great cathedrals. Go to the top of the Empire State Building at NIGHT for an incredible 360 view.

If you like bus tours, Greyline has one that's excellent that we took years ago. (Actually, they're all probably good!) If you can't see a Yankees game (that would eat up a lot of time) take a drive past the Park.

Obviously there's MUCH more you can do - if you had time. But don't worry, you can see and do PLENTY in one day. You'll give your kids such a delicious taste of the city - they'll be begging for another trip back! Have a great time!

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 04:24 PM
Caitlin

Have your kids been to a great natural history museum, and are they at all into dinosaura, etc.? If so, I'd start at the Museum of Natural History, which kids that age generally love. Spend the morning and then have lunch in their food court area, which is under a life-size blue whale suspended from the second dtory. Then (assuming the weather's okay) head into Central Park (the museum is on Central Park West, right there) to burn off a little steam. Go to the boat pond area, where the Alice in Wonderlnd and Hans Chrtistian Anderson statues are (big enough so the kids can sit in their laps).

I you really want to let your kids loose in a huge toy store, off to FAO Schwartz, Disny Store and all that business in midtown. (I don't know that I'd waste part of my one day on stores; ditto shows or ball games.) Walk around the Times Square area if you want. I think your kids might be a little young to enjoy strolling the neighborhoods. In lower Manhattan, you can visit the seaport and ride the Staten Island (*not* Long Island) Ferry for the view of the Statue of Liberty. Then dinner in Chinatown or Little Italy (kid friendly, if more tourist attraction than Italian neighborhood), and head back to mdtown for that after-dark view from the Empire State Building. (Or if you want a daytime view, go while in midtown or go to the World Trade Center.) If you really want to see "as much as possible," you might consider one of the Gray Line or Red Apple hop on/hop off bus tours; they depart from in front of the Empire State Building.

Forget those scooter, what a pain they'd be. Use the subway, it's safe, fast, and easy, and a one-day Fun Pass gives unlimited rides for $4.

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 07:40 PM
ellen griswold

OOPS ~ you're right Caitlin, it's the Staten Island Ferry! (Glad to hear a native New Yorker agrees with me,tho

Old Aug 16th, 2000, 08:19 AM
GOL

With 7 & 11 yr olds, I'd say one of 4 things:
1. Bronx Zoo
2. FAO
3. Museum of Nat. History - specifically the dinosaurs
4. Cats

The Zoo is delightful.
FAOs is great for kids (& parents)
The Museum is one of a kind, and truly "educational"
Cats tix were available (~ 7:45pm) at TKTS when I was there 2 weeks ago.

Most times, the biggest 'problem/fear' is getting to/from one place to another. If you set your sights for Times Square, then FAOs, then the Museum, you will have to figure out to get there. Walking many blocks may be too much. Taxi's and Subways, although ok, may not be your first choice with kids. The zoo and museum can be all day activities.

Have fun

Old Aug 16th, 2000, 02:31 PM
tweedy

I live in the city too, so here is my list of suggestions for you.

The Central Park Zoo is very good and the Children's Zoo which is attached is fun too. The Central Park Zoo was redone a few years ago and is very good.
There is a cute cafeteria right at the Zoo and you can eat outdoors.
(5th Ave. and 66th St.)

After that walk downtown to FAO and let the kids run wild (59th and 5th Ave) or walk a block to the WB store on 57th and 5th.

YOu can take a bus from there or if it's a nice day walk from there over to the Museum of Natural History, (79th and Central Park West) walk through the park and maybe stop and take a ride on the Carrousel.

The kids are probably hungry by now, so there is another cafeteria in the lower level of the museum, it's a McDonalds look alike or francise. Or there are lots of restaurants a block away that are fun, and some cafes, on Columbus Ave.

As night is falling hop on the #1 train to the southern end of Manhattan and take the ferry over to Staten Island, (it's free). The ride over as other regulars have mentioned is very close to the Statue of Liberty and the trip back as it is getting dark is breathtaking with the lighs comming on.
From there you might walk up Water St. to the South St. Seaport and see the tall ships and have dinner, lots of choices there.

One other idea might be the Liberty Science Center in New Jersey, and there is a ferry that goes over from the World Financial area.

Also midtown there is the Museum of TV and Radio that the kids might like and the Museum of Modern Art. (both in the 50's off 5th Ave.

So have a great time you kids will love the city.

tweedy
(

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 10:43 AM
Caitlin

Actually, I'm a native Californian...but I do live in NYC now.

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 10:29 AM
gail

What about The Beast? As we were waiting in line after line (and rude security checkers) at the Statue of Lib I was thinking if I came back,my son might enjoy the "high speed jet boat tours" that were out around the statue. Is this a good way to see the sights?

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am doing research on our few days in the city with our children in August... and I found this thread. Had to comment on Hamlet's suggestion to take the children to the top of the World Trade Center..made me sad to read it...