Search

NY/Boston

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2003, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NY/Boston

We are using 2 free round trips via SWA to get to NY(family),and I wanted to include a "quickie" glimpse of New Engalnd.We have 8 days.This is kind of a bonus vacation this year & so I'm trying to scale in down, cost wise & distance.
Plan A: 3 nights NY; Train to Mystic--4th night; Mystic to Boston(train); stay 3 nights to explore there & take a day trip via train up to Portland, Maine, from Boston.
We can fly home out of Manchester or Providence (or anywhere SWA flies)
Any feedback?
Should we make Mystic a day trip from NY?
HAs anyone done the Riverboat/Steam train in Essex?
Thanks in advance!
Old May 16th, 2003, 07:35 AM

This sounds like a reasonable itinerary to me. Portland is a great city to visit. We have done a lobstering tour with Lucky Lobsters. You go out on a lobster boat into Portland Harbor, pull traps, learn a little biology, see some great views. Old Port is full of restaurants, shops etc - very quaint.

In Boston, if you like art but don't have lot of time, look into the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. Its small and beautiful and filled with interesting stuff. If you have enough time the Museum of Fine Arts is great also.

If history is more your thing then the Freedom Trail is not to be missed and is free if cost is an issue.

You could do a whale watch from Boston Harbor also.

In any event do try to get out on the water - you'll get a different perspective of New England that way.

Have a great trip.
Old May 16th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your timely response and tips. I was fairly certain Boston & Maine would be fun.
Now I'm just interested in feedback about Mystic, Conn. & nearby Essex. The train/boat ride sounded like fun.
Old May 16th, 2003, 03:19 PM

Having lived most of my live 15 miles from Mystic and now living in Boston, here is my advice.

Do the Essex train and river boat. Granted I haven't done it since I was very young, I always hear wonderful things about it.

Spend a day an a night in Mystic (try for one of the inns in downtown Mystic). Avoid the Mystic Marriott - nice place, but not in Mystic. The aquarium is great, you may find the Seaport interesting, and it's pleasant to walk around downtown. For dinner, if you like seafood, go to Go Fish (popular with locals too).

Although I love Boston and love living here, I suggest you skip it and spend a day or two in Newport. Visit the Mansions and Thames Street. Then head up to Maine. En route from Mystic to Newport stop at Watch Hill in Westerly. If you are beach people, definitely stop at the Rhode Island beaches (Narragansett, Westerly, etc.)
Old May 16th, 2003, 04:47 PM

We did the Riverboat/Train excursion and enjoyed it enormously. You may want to add Gillette Castle to your itinerary (the boat goes past this).

You might want to check out the Mystic websites to determine how appealing you'd find a visit and whether to make it a day trip. Be advised that lodging is rather expensive in the immediate area if you'll have no car.
Old May 17th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your feedback.I'm going to post under Conneticut/mystic to gleen some more invaluable tips.