Tips on Boston...

Old May 9th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips on Boston...

I am travelling to Boston for the first time. I am staying May 24th to the 27th.

I am planning on going to Fenway Park on the 25th and doing the Freedom Trail and some shopping on Newberry St. on the 26th.

I am staying in Copley Square.

What I am interested in, is does anyone have any other must sees that I should do while I am there?

Also, can anyone reccomend some resturants and/or popular bars that I could check out at night? Right now im planning on checking out Cheers, Whiskey Park and The Middle East.
Resturant wise im looking at Via Matta, McCormak and Shimitts, or the Blue Room...
Any suggestions? Im willing to pay up to about $40 per person
Old May 9th, 2003, 10:11 AM

Things to do:
Harvard, Harvard Square
Boston Harbor Cruise to the Harbor Islands (the best)
Harborwalk
Quincy Market
Arnold Arboretum
Mt Auburn Cemetary
Museums
Beacon Hill/Public Gardens/ Boston Common walk
Old May 9th, 2003, 12:14 PM

Boston Duck Tours are a lot of fun. They leave from the Prudential building and the Museum of Science - which is also a lot of fun - especially with kids. They have an IMAX theater which is wonderful. We recently saw Pulse/Stomp there and enjoyed it, but all the movies are usually very enjoyable. The Aquarium has a new IMAX screen too but I haven't been. Walking through the Common, people watching, seeing the duck boats is fun on a nice day. A walk along the Charles River is splendid too.

As for restaurants, The Chart House next to the Marriott is very good - it's a beautiful old building on the water. Skipjacks has good seafood - they have a few locations. You should try the North End - you can't miss with many of the restaurants there and it has a great feeling. We cap our evening there with gelatto and cappuccino at Cafe Vittorio - very, very good.
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:19 PM

Depending on how much time you have and what your interests are, you might want to check out the John F Kennedy Library. It is south of Boston, but easily accessible by the "T". It's not overly large, so it doesn't take a long time to go through, but the setting is quite amazing. I would recommend you be into history or JFK's presidency, though, to make it worth while.

You'll have fun in Boston. It's a terrific city!
Old May 9th, 2003, 02:31 PM

If you don't have time for Harbor Cruise or Duck Ride, take the ferry from near the Aquarium to Charlestown Navy Yards. I enjoyed the old WWII destroyer (forget the name) as much as "Old Ironsides" on the other side of the same pier.

BTW, near the Aquarium, the various trolley & tour reps will be like "carnies" at the midway competing for your business. "Hesitate" just a little and you can often strike a deal!
Old May 9th, 2003, 02:59 PM
gyppielou

consider a duck tour...don't waste precious time with Cheers or McCormicks, do explore the North End. Aquarium is very cool if it is not busy. Walk the Charles. Sunday Brunch in the south end - Tremont Street GL

Old May 16th, 2003, 01:44 PM

Must go to Quincy Market/Fanueil Hall.
If you like to shop, you should go to nearby Downtown Crossing.
Harvard Square (Cambridge) is nice too.
Via Matta is very good but not cheap. You can't go wrong in the North End (Giacomo's is my recommendation). The South End has some great restaurants at all different price ranges. For "trendy" nightspots, try Saint, Limbo, The Living Room.