Nov connecting flight thru Minneapolis?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2005, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an opportunity to visit friends in San Jose, CA over the Thanksgiving weekend? We found a great flight on Northwest that connects through Minneapolis...I have heard horror stories about delays in this part of the country. Is Nov early enough that we should be okay? Or, is it too hard to predict? Any input would be appreciated!
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:45 AM
TC

Impossible to predict the weather for November here or anywhere -- but no airport handles winter weather better than MSP. They are prepared for the worst and know exactly what to do. It is the primary NW hub, so always plenty of help and extra planes there in case of problems. MSP is also a very nice airport in case you are delayed. Lots of good restaurants and shopping. Go..enjoy...don't worry.
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:49 AM

You should be fine but like you mentioned, it's hard to predict. Weather is not controlled in this forum.
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:53 AM
E

I've flown out of MSP many times, and agree with TC's remarks. It's a nice airport, and well-equipped to handle winter weather. November is a bit early for snow in these parts, although it could happen. I wouldn't worry if I were you--enjoy your trip!
Old May 31st, 2005, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies! Being from the East Coast and not having traveled either to the Mid-West or West Coast (East Coast, Europe & Caribbean so far!)I'm not familiar w/that part of the country...just what I've "heard". I appreciate the reassurance...we get snow here every year, sometimes a lot, and it seems we're never prepared...good to hear that someone is!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 11:42 AM
TC

This past January we had a trip to NY planned. Were to fly out on Saturday morning. On friday night we had 6 inches of new snow here in Minneapolis. My husband got up early, blew off the driveway, I called the airport to check our flight and was told all was on schedule. When we arrived at the MSP airport an hour later we were informed that the "East Coast" had shut down "in anticipation" of a snow storm and all flights had been cancelled that day. We were adviced that flying to Detroit was an option from which we could still get a flight out early enough on Sunday morning to make NY in time for our matinee theater tickets. We took the chance but ended up spending two days in the Detroit airport because the "East Coast" never opened their airports. So you see, the moral of the story is -- we know how to handle bad weather at the midwest airports a lot better than you Easterners do. You'll be just fine with us. Come on out -- it may be the midwest, but contrary to folklore we don't live in igloos.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:49 PM

I wouldn't worry much about the weather and MSP airport...I've flown out many times in all kinds of weather-never a problem.
AND, if you do happen to get delayed, MSP airport is one of the nicest I've been in with great food and shopping. The airport has it all....great coffee, delicious food and shops. Don't worry.