Northwest Wyoming trip

Search

Northwest Wyoming trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northwest Wyoming trip

Plans have changed. Now, I'm looking a trip next summer to Grant Teton, Yellowstone, Cody, and Thermopolis. Any suggestions about driving from Thermopolis (my kid loves dinos) to Jackson? I don't really want to backtrack through the parks. Is there another way to go? I've got time in my itinerary to stop overnight along the way, if it's worthwhile. I've been seeing stuff about Wind River, but haven't quite got a handle on what to do there. Thanks.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 01:26 PM

The drive through the Wind River area is beautiful. However, before planning too much, how long a trip are you planning?
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 05:00 PM

We stayed last September at the Early Ranch Bed & Breakfast on the Wind River near Crowheart Wyoming. It was a beautiful place right on the river. They raise horses and Border Collie dogs, two animals that my daughter loves. If you are planning to travel through this area I would consider a bed & breakfast. Such a much better feel for the life the people in this rural area live than staying in a hotel in a town or city.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips so far. The trip will be 12 days, and will be in the parks about a week.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 10:00 PM

TravelinMom,

What direction will you be coming into the area and what direction will you be leaving the area?

Yellowstone is worth a weeks time all on it's own. I would rather double back than miss time in the parks.

If you kids like dinasours, is there any chance of going by Dinasour National Monument just east of Vernal, Utah in the Northeast part of Utah?

Utahtea
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 05:20 AM

With 12 days, you do have enough time to do justice to Yellowstone, the Teton and Wind River Mountains.
Working backwards, you'll need 2 or 3 days to complete the Wind River circular route, including Thermopolis.(Obviously, you could spend more time there depending on your interests.)
That leaves 9 or 10 days for Yellowstone and the Teton. Sure, more days would be better, but 9-10 days are certainly enough time to enjoy these two wonders!
Here's a suggested itinerary:
Fly into Cody and drive into Yellowstone. Spend x days in Yellowstone and drive down to the Teton and spend x days there, perhaps with a slight detour down to Jackson. Take 191 to 26/187 into the Wind River area down to Lander (where you might want to spend the night). In Lander, stop at Sinks Canyon State Park for a brief visit and then make a slight detour tp visit Atlantic City and South Pass City (a most interesting authentic recreation of an old mining town). The return to Lander and continue on to Thermopolis and then back to Cody.
Most of the circular Wind River are route is quite interesting and scenic.
We just returned from our second 10-day trip to the area. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me ([email protected]).
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Any special reason to fly in and out of Cody rather than Jackson Hole? I'm leaning toward the latter because my reservations in the park match up better with going to Jackson and we'll be at the Roosevelt cabins on the evening they have their cookout. But I could change this for good reason.

Old Sep 5th, 2003, 05:31 PM

I started there because you mentioned Cody as one of the four locations during your trip. You can reverse things to a certain degree from Jackson. We actually started and ended our Wind River circular drive in Jackson. The difference for us is that we took the more western loop through Dubois rather than the more eastern one through Thermopolis. If you want more specifics after checking a map, let me know.