Northern Utah trip help

Search

Northern Utah trip help

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern Utah trip help

My family is planning a trip to the Salt Lake City area the first of July and want to get out into the mountains. We do not want to go south figuring it is to hot that time of year. For great hiking and alpine scenery, any suggestions on areas to go/places to stay?
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Big and Little Cottonwood areas are great, and close to Salt Lake. You can either stay in Salt Lake City or I would suggest staying at Snowbird Ski Resort for a night or two. They have lots of great activities for kids, good food and the hiking in Albion basin at Alta Ski resort is spectacular. You can also take the tram up to the top of Snowbird for some great views. http://www.snowbird.com/

Heber Valley (Midway) and Park City are good options too. I like hiking up in the Uinta Mountains by Mirror Lake, but I don’t know of good lodging close by. http://www.utah.com/byways/mirror_lake.htm
It is about an hour drive from Park City or Heber.

Timpanogos cave is fun too [http://www.nps.gov/tica/]. You can stay in the Salt Lake area… or stay in Sundance. I don’t know what your budget is, but the Sundance resort is beautiful and close to some lovely hiking and waterfalls.

You should head out to Antelope Island on the Great Salt Lake as well…Very surreal at times. http://www.utah.com/stateparks/antelope_island.htm
It is about a 1 hour drive from Salt Lake.

It is snowing today in Salt Lake! With this crazy weather you may even hike in some snow when you come in July. Have a great time!
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:23 AM

Hi A,

July is wonderful in the Utah mountains. I would suggest, in this big snow year, that you stay in Park City which is a bit lower elevation than Little Cottonwood. Right now there is still over 175 inches of snow (2 feet of fresh) at Snowbird and Alta. It hasn't even begun to melt.

The Albion Basin hiking at Alta may not be good until later in July, if even then. Or, just bring your skis. Snowbird will probably still be open on the weekends!

The good news, is there are so many other places to go! Good hiking all around Park City and if the snow has melted enough in the Unitas east of Park City as mentioned above.

The Unitas are Natl Forest and wilderness areas with lots of small lakes, wildflowers, and wildlife. AWESOME mountain views.

Check out www.parkcityinfo. Lots of condos and hotels to choose from, although around 4th of July is a very busy time.

You will love it. (I live in Park City, by the way....)
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:34 AM

Consider going down to Robert Redford's Sundance Resort, which is located just outside Provo. Great place. Great restaurants and super rooms. In the mountains.
Old May 12th, 2005, 11:05 AM

I lived in the Salt Lake area for 20 years. I have lived away now for 20 years and our vacations are always to Salt lake because of the diverse things to do. We love to hike. Some great hikes are in Big Cottonwood Canyon Storm Mtn is one. albion basin is great also but with all the snow Utah got this year you may not be able to hike there. Teh high Uinta's is one of our favorites. There is so much to see. The Heber valley (about 30 min) from Park City is a great play ground. be sure to stop at granny's for an ice cream shake. They are marvelous. You can ride the Heber Creeper which takes you around and show cases the Heber valley and Provo Canyon. My sisters favorite hike is milcreek canyon area. to dog lake is really really pretty.The Wasatch mountains area a mecca for climbers. you won't go wrong on any hike you do. That area can get snow in July so bring a jacket. HAve fun