Search

Northern NJ

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Rstevens34

Northern NJ

Considering a move to N. NJ and was looking for some places to live that will allow me to commute to NYC and my girlfriend to Rutgers. Any suggestions?

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:11 AM
goNets

See my answer to your other post.
By the way if your girlfriend is going to Rutgers New Brunswick, I'd strongly recommend Rahway or Metuchen. Because you could both take the train to your respective destination and she'll be go in the reverse so it will be cheaper and less crowded. Rahway's a good deal cheaper than Metuchen.
Like I said in my other post if Newark go to the Ironbound. I don't know much about the area but some of the folks giving you advice are a bit alarmist. Just to make sure visit the nj.com forum for Essex county and ask. Warning there are a lot of jerks on this forum. It's really embarrassing to me, a proud Jerseyan.
Here's the link.http://www.nj.com/forums/essex/
If she is going to Rutgers Newark you may want to consider one of the fairly close towns. Montclair is great and offers a lot of commuting options.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:11 AM
ddd

Northern New Jersey, Hoboken for a sense of the city. West New York, NJ for a skyline veiw of the city and minivan rides into the city.

You could commute from New Brunswick but that would be a bit of a bear. I think more of a budget area than mentioned above, Montvale. I will come back when I remember more.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:13 AM
ddd

Friend lives in Montclair it is expensive

Old May 21st, 2002, 02:05 PM
Julie

Hi,
Having gone to Rutgers, New Brunswick, myself, and having taken the train into the city all the time, I can tell you that the communte is not bad at all. One 45-minnute train ride from New Brunswick to NYC and you're there. Now,if you don't necessarily want to be living that close to your girlfriend, and you have a car, anywhere close to the GS Parkway or the Turnpike (which is pretty much anywhere in NJ) north of New Brunswick (exit 130 or exit 9) would be good. Nutley, Belleville, Clifton, Bloomfield, Montclaire are all pretty close to the Lincoln Tunnel and have trains into NYC. Edison, Metuchen, Rahway are on the same line as New Brunswick from NY.
If she goes to Newark, then The Essex towns would be ideal (the first five I mentioned).
If she goes to Camden, then sorry... can't help you there