Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Northern CA weekend mid-September...have you been to Heritage House?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I recall correctly this is where the movie "Same Time Next Year" was filmed. It looks fantastic on its website, and would love to go there for a long weekend the middle of September. Really just looking for beautiful scenery, a fireplace to curl up in front of with a good book - and my husband - some general R&R. We've been to Mendocino and loved the area. Would like opinions of Heritage House, or recommendations for other properties in this area. Thanks.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 04:25 PM

Heritage House seemed nice for the wedding we went to last Christmas-I would imagine the rooms are lovely.
A great places for a fireplace/goodbook/hubby (not always in that order LOL!) is the Greenwood Pier Inn in Elk or the Elk Cove Inn (Elk).
Websites are the same as name-At GP Inn
check out the North & South Castle rooms=
they each are RIGHT above the ocean and each has a jacuzzi spa with glass on 3 sides on the 2nd floor/loft. Should be a warm and beautiful time of year!
R5
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Will mid-September be cool enough to use a fireplace in the evenings?
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:02 PM

orangetravelcat,
It's doubtful that mid-September, even if it's not the "Indian Summer" weather we all love and wait for, would be cool enough to require heat from a fireplace. However, if there is fog in the evening, the fireplace would be a cheery and welcome feature.
If you don't mind doing a little driving during your stay, take a little jaunt a bit further up the coast towards Westport (about 30 min. from Mendocino town). The coast gets really wild and windblown up there - beautiful rugged scenery.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:03 PM

Maybe. We always count on the weather being 10-15 degrees cooler on the coast than home(Petaluma). As I am A bit of a weather geek here is a link to weather history for Ft. Bragg,(just above Mendocino)

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?caftbr+nca

It shows the average high to be around 65-and the low 49-I would have an evening fire with those temps!
You could always buy the pre-made fire logs-they don't give out as much heat as a wood fire, yet we find the ambiance is just fine!
Have Fun!
R5
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:22 PM

I spent an evening recently with a couple who had just come from their honeymoon at Heritage House. They loved it.