Search

Northeast Fall Foliage Report...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 03:16 AM
J62
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northeast Fall Foliage Report...

Reporting on fall foliage in far upstate NY..

We are currently in far upstate NY, in the Lake Placid/High Peaks region. I have to say the fall foliage is as amazing as I've seen it in recent memory. Definitely as peak as peak gets. The drive from I-87 on Rt73 to Lake Placid, and later on to Saranac Lake has amazing views at every turn even even with overcast skies and a light drizzle. By late afternoon the drizzle had stopped and we enjoyed a take out dinner looking out our hotel room window to a vibrant 180 degree vista. The weather this am is supposed to be better - higher ceiling, crisp low 40's so we're hoping for a hike or 2 to take in some panoramic vistas.

I would expect northern VT & NH would have similar current conditions - vtt and dfrost will certainly chime in, Peak conditions will quickly shift south over the next weeks. If you have a chance to get out (weather & schedule permitting) go for it. Up here, COVID precautions are excellent. Everybody on sidewalks wears masks. Shops all enforce max density and hand cleaner use. Even on trails people don masks when passing by.
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 04:49 AM

It is just starting here in CT. The swamp maples are blazing and there is lots of yellow mixed with the reds although green still dominates.
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 06:46 AM

I live in the Dartmouth area of NH - and yes the colors this year are perhaps the best I've seen. We did get a very heavy (and much needed) rain a few nights ago, and lost perhaps 30% of foliage. However it is still very good and we are not quite at peak. We drove up to Montpelier Vt on rte 12 about a week ago, and it was just about peak and very impressive. We drove the southwestern corner of NH a few days ago, also very beautiful and not quite peak.
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 07:48 AM

It has been a spectacular foliage season here, too. I think last weekend through Monday was peak for us in north central VT. Since then we have lost some leaves from wind and rain.

Due to strict quarantine rules there are fewer tourists than usual. Don't try to come to VT unless you are sure you meet the complicated quarantine rules and come from one of the green counties on this map
https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/re...s-state-travel
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 11:52 AM
J62
Original Poster

Saturday update.
Weather was great this am - got some spectular views of Mt Marcy and other nearby high peaks from atop a nice "little" mountain near Lake Placid. 5mi out and back hike, ~700' elevation gain. Parking at the trailhead was very crowded with many hikers climbing the big mountains today. Town of Lake Placid was a zoo, much more so than yesterday. Less mask wearing compliance and social distancing on crowded sidewalks. We only briefly stopped in town on our way through.

Despite rains overnight colors still great and on the trees. Hoping for clearer weather tomorrow - expecting to see some white dusted across the highest peaks...
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 04:25 AM

J62--Many years ago I worked during three summers at the Ausable Club in St. Huberts. You must live near there. I hope today is clear for you.
Old Oct 5th, 2020, 12:39 AM

J62, you know us so well. The colors in NH have been brighter and earlier than usual. I think we are past peak in the Concord NH area but that shouldn't deter people from visiting and taking advantage of the wonderful apple orchards and local businesses and farms. There are many local trails that aren't crowded. Our son and grandchildren have taken up fat tire mountain biking. Yesterday morning was sunny but it became overcast. There won't be any Warner Fall Foliage Festival this year but there might be some low key events.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 07:26 AM

Any updates this week?
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 09:48 AM
J62
Original Poster

In northern NY, the Capital Region (CR) is now what I'd call peak, so Hudson Valley should be great this coming week. Late afternoon is ideal lighting on the westward facing slopes or tree tops, with bright spotlight peeking throukgh the clouds illuminating the colors brighter. Last night we had a blue/pink sky to boot. Mornnig or midday for the eastern slopes, but any time is still good. Catskills should be very good as well. Further north in NY most of the early birch & aspen (yellows) and sugar maples (brilliant reds/oranges) have dropped the leaves but there is still plenty of green as welll as the deeper red/darker hues of the later chaning trees like oak.

I haven't been further east, but with the CR where it is, it typically this means Berkshires are still good, at least for the next few days. If we get a heavy rain this week it can change things quickly.
Over to you vt...

Old Oct 17th, 2020, 08:13 AM

Sorry, I missed this request for an update.
Northeastern VT is past peak now with many leaves down. According to the state tourist office other parts of the state were considered at peak on Thursday.
https://www.vermont.com/foliage.cfm
A note of caution though -- there was a lot of rain on Friday/overnight so the leaves are coming down everywhere.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 09:53 AM

Thanks, any reports this week?
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 10:18 AM
J62
Original Poster

For NY, I can only speak to Albany & north.

In & around Albany there are some remnants of yellow/red/orange hanging on but it's now mostly darker reds & browns that are left across broad hillsides. These are the oaks and late changing maples. Very little green left to change.
The further north you go the more bare the trees are. Pockets of reds/browns, but little to no brighter colors yellow/red/orange. In the last week I've only been as far north as Lake George.

Perfect hiking weather if you can get out. Crispy leaves on the trails and warm during the day. I would expect parking for the high peaks will still be a challenge but fewer leaf peepers.

As noted above, I'd expect Berkshires are also similar to the Albany area, and mid/lower Hudson Valley to be still very nice.