North Padre Island Info

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North Padre Island Info

I need information on accomodations on North Padre Island. I am looking for somewhere to stay on the beach on the gulf. I would like to be on the Corpus Christi end of the island, but would go further north if necessary. It has been 10 years or more since I have been to CC and about 20 years since I have visited Aransas Pass. Are there any new hotels or condos on the island to rent on the beach? I will have 3 kids under 10 & 2 adults so I really do not want to drive to the beach every day. Also I would also like information on restaruants and getting shimp.
Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

Anyone???
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

TTT
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 08:41 AM

Try www.traveltex.com and look under Corpus Christi.
Also, the Corpus Christi visitor's bureau: http://www.corpuschristi-tx-cvb.org/
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 10:35 AM

Since you haven't had many replies, I thought I would add a little bit. I don't have much specific information, though. There are a lot of hotels/condos in Port Aransas--many of them are right on the beach. I'd definitely visit the website mentioned to do some research. I don't think there are too many that are "new" though. As for restaurants, there are a bunch of good seafood places along the "main strip" in the middle of town. I've eaten at 3-4 of them and enjoyed them all. Trout Street Bar & Grill is a great casual atmosphere place. To "get shrimp" I would just go down to the marina in the morning and there will be fishermen selling it out the back of their boats. I've never done it in Aransas, but have in Corpus--fun! Also, spend a day in Corpus Christi when you get tired of the beach. Visit the USS Lexington (retired aircraft carrier that you can tour), see the aquarium, eat at the "flagship" Whataburger--right on the Marina. It's a great area!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ChristieP. I have found all of the condos on the web, but I am hoping for some inside information. You know how all of the websites make their place seem like the best thing since sliced bread, when they are really junk!! If anyone could comment on any of these condos i would greatly appreciate it.

Travelisfun it has been 30 years since I have been to Port Aransas. Is it still have a small beach town feel to it? That is my main reason for going to PA instead of CC.

Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 04:42 AM

Hello! I've only been a Texan a few years, so I'm not that familiar with "north" or "south" Padre (except South Padre denotes spring break)...However, I have been to the Port Royal condo complex at Port Aransas. Actually, when I started asking where people stay when they go to the gulf, almost 100% of those asked said Port Royal.

It's a great place for kids, HUGE pool--their website is exactly as it is. The condos are either 1, 2 or 3 bedroom, facing the gulf or pool (we had 2 bedroom pool view--terrific!!). It's directly on the beach.

Find them at port-royal.com

Hope this helps!

Happy travels!
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 04:49 AM
dcespedes

Hi there--while staying in Corpus last summer we drove to Padre to check it out and it still has the small beach town feel to it--very little development in the 15 years we've lived in Texas. I concur with kopp's recommendation of the Port Royal, especially since you have children--you've got the beach or the pool to choose from and it's a short drive to Port A for dinner, activities. As for shrimp--are you looking for raw or cooked? You can go to the docks in Corpus and buy fresh shrimp right off the boats--just follow the seagulls. Hope this helps. Enjoy!!

Old Apr 21st, 2004, 05:36 AM

Port A definitely has a "small beach town" feel to it. I must say that it's almost a little tacky, though. Lots of REALLY colorful buildings & plenty of souvenier shops! But for me, that adds to the flavor. It's nice to be in a place that isn't "built up" and modernized. I enjoyed the time we spent there while living in Corpus Christi last year.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Kopp, how was the quality of the condos at Port Royal? Were they kept up or looking worn out? With small children I like a place that is clean and kept up as they are always playing on the floors. Also, how long did it take to get to town, PA or CC either one. The other "Mom" that is going with me is not really a beach or pool person I have just found out and I want to make sure there is something for her to do also.

Do you remember what some of your favorie places to eat were?

Travelisfun - Do you know if jellyfish common on Mustang Island as they are around CC, or is that just a "time of year" thing?

Thanks!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 03:50 AM
dcespedes

From PR, iIt's going to take you approx. 10-15 minutes to get to Port A and 25 min. to CC. If the other mom is not into beach or pool she may be bored unless she's content with reading and going into PA, CC by herself as the PR stands alone. Jelly fish tend to be "seasonal"--worse in August than in June but we have seen them as early as June though far and few between. Although we've been to the PR we've never stayed there though friends of ours have--we were told that many (all?) of the condos are privately owned so their upkeep is the responsibility of the owner--I would check with reservations to see what they suggest in terms of room quality. Hope this helps--enjoy!

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 06:35 AM

Hello ski4me - honestly, you can't go wrong with Port Royal. For a gulf beach resort, it's top notch. Our condo was very clean, furniture was in good working order, and the beds were comfy. We were there in the off-season, so the place was practically empty. But I hear on weekends that it fills up. The units are individually owned condos, and the office runs the leasing of the places. So each unit will most likely be different. But I've never heard a bad thing about the complex. The location is superb, directly on the beach and the kids will LOVE the pool. If I recall correctly, there's even a small slide into one end.

As far as which place to get, the 1 and 2 bedroom units face the pool or gulf. The 3-bedroom units face the gulf. I prefer the pool view because you get a view of the beautiful pool, not just looking into the open gulf. And the units that are not gulf or pool view just look out into the dunes and open areas.

The area surrounding Port Royal is not very developed. There is a lot of land on either side that is just sand, dunes, and as I would call it, just dirt. It's not very densely developed and not much to look at, so that's why I prefer the pool view.

Try to get a unit on the upper floors as they give the best views, whichever side you decide to go with. Also, depending on if you prefer morning or afternoon sun, ask for a unit on whichever side you prefer(meaning you'll have lots of sun in your living room in the morning or afternoon).

There is a restaurant in the place but we didn't try it. Just not enough people there at the time to give it any credibility. I like to eat in places where other people are eating. So I can't say yea or nay about the quality. But like other posters have said, within 15-20 minutes is downtown PA, and there are numerous restaurants to choose from.

As far as your friend not being a beach or pool person, bring a book and relax under an umbrella. Doesn't get any better than that. Actually, since the places have nice kitchens, perhaps she likes to cook and could be your personal chef for your vacation!

Happy travels!
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Original Poster

Kopp & others with inside information: I just checked the rates again and realized that it will cost $350 per nite for Port Royal, or just about any other condo in the area. Do they really get that much?! I am in shock! I was going to NP because my sister lives in Texas, but I expected the accomodations to be much less that because their beaches are not that special. Do you remember any other places to stay in the area that are less expensive? If not I am probably dropping Texas for Florida where the beaches and water are MUCH better and accomodations cheaper.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 05:20 AM
dcespedes

Hi ski4me--hard to believe, I know, but I believe it's a supply and demand issue--there's not enough competition and whether the beaches here are considered great, or not, people still like to go. Our routine has been to stay at the Omni in Corpus and drive to Mustang Island for the day--this may not be practical with little ones but it works for us. There's a condo in Corpus on the beach--Villa del Sol, check out www.villa-delsol.com for more information. Also in Corpus is a Holiday Inn Emerald Beach--recently renovated, it has it's own beach and pool. I hope this helps

Old May 5th, 2004, 06:03 AM

Hello again ski4me! Sorry I haven't replied. Funny you should mention Florida. That's where we've been the past 10 days or so.

And yes, to answer your question, the prices are extremely high at Port Royal during their "season". Like I said, we went in off-season and we paid about $125 or so a night, which is what I think it should be. I would definitely have trouble spending over that at any time. But like another poster mentioned, it's a supply-and-demand situation. If you want beach and a short drive from Texas, I guess you have to pay the piper.

FYI, we just drove in yesterday from Ft. Walton Beach (12 hour drive from Austin). It was our first trip to a beach in Florida. I was very enchanted by the beautiful emerald green color of the water and how very clear it was. The sand was like powder and it went for miles and miles like that. We stayed at the Radisson. For $85/night we had a room with 2 double beds, great gulf/pool view. They even have a neat lazy river -- great for kids and adults too!

Depending on when you're going, if you work it right you could get several rooms there for the price of Port Royal.

Oh, isn't travel planning fun....

Happy travels!
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kopp, I would really like to go to Florida, but my travel friend doesn't have enough time...
Thanks for your reply re Port Royal. That is what I thought about value for the price. I started a new post re Hawthorn Suites in Corpus. I think we will stay there instead of beach front and just drive. I appreciate your help and comments, they confirm my feelings.
Thanks!