Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

North Lake Tahoe - Never been...Looking for decent area

Dec 5th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi all - I'm going to be in north Lake Tahoe for 5 days at the end of January. I have not yet booked a place to stay yet. There will be 4 people in our group all varying in age from 25 to 40 (all who have never been to Lake Tahoe skiing).

I was thinking of staying in Truckee, Tahoe City, or something in that area.

Were looking for somewhere with some decent restaurant variety and a nice area. We really dont need any kind of special entertainment as the trip is primarily for skiing - just would like some decent restaurants/bars for the evening.

Can someone help with some advice/guidance that has had a good time at a certain location in N. Tahoe?!
Dec 5th, 2010, 05:54 PM

Where are you planning to ski? Truckee is great for restaurants and shopping (and it's an 'old West' town), but if you stay there you have to drive/bus to skiing every day. It might be more convenient to stay at a ski area (Northstar, Squaw, Alpine), and then drive into Truckee at night for dinner/bars, or for breakfast if you're taking a day off (the Squeeze In is fabulous for omelets). Definitely look at a map of Lake Tahoe -- neither the ski areas nor Truckee is actually ON the lake (20 minute drive), but the views of the lake from some of the ski areas is fabulous. The lake itself is more of a summer destination.
Dec 5th, 2010, 06:47 PM

I like Truckee as a base if you want to ski different areas. It's a quick drive to Sugar Bowl, Alpine Madows, Squaw and Northstar.

I love the Cedar House Sport Hotel, if you want that type of lodging.
Dec 6th, 2010, 12:09 AM

Lots of house rentals in North Tahoe.
Check VRBO for something with a hot tub and a drier for the wet ski clothes!
Dec 6th, 2010, 07:46 AM

We stayed at the Squaw Valley Lodge one summer, and really enjoyed it. Nice condo hotel with a friendly front desk. Individually owned units, so they are not 'cookie cutter', but some may be older than others in decor. Underground parking included. It is adjacent to the village area, so it's easy to walk to a restaurant or the shops. 530 583 5500

We got a good rate through Squaw Valley Central Reservations, 520 583 5585 or 800 545 4350. Sue was very helpful there.
Dec 6th, 2010, 08:07 AM

Nothing wrong with staying in Truckee as a base. For about 20 years I stayed either at Tahoe-Donner (above Truckee) or in Martis Flats with no problem. I now stay near Tahoe City which is closer to Alpine Meadows, Squaw Valley and Homewood, this last one being very good when it's stormy because it is at a lower elevation.
Dec 6th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm going to book something in Truckee. I was really wanting to know if it was just some sort of truck stop or actually a decent neutral place to stay. We will have a rental vehicle and plan on trying three different mountains and it seems more economical to stay off of the actual mountain if were planning on driving anyhow. VRBO has some great rates!

Thanks again.
Dec 6th, 2010, 09:32 AM

Truckee is not just a truck stop place. You might be interested to know that Paul McCartney in the past has stopped in at Moody's Bistro and played in. I'd say pretty exciting for the local folks.

Quick trip up 267 to Northstar. Easy drive west to Sugar Bowl. Super fast to Squaw and Alpine Meadows. So you do have quite alot to choose from. There is more lodging off 267 now too.

Hapmton Inn & suites though you'd have to drive into Truckee.

Best Western - just off 267

In town, the former Holiday Inn Express is now Truckee/Donner Lodge. You'd still have to drive to town though.