Search

NOLA in April 06

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOLA in April 06

We are in the process of planning a trip to New Orleans next spring (early April). Was wondering what any of you could recommend for family activities. We have a six year old son and he tends to get bored easily with adult activities (art museums, architecture, etc.) I have heard that the zoo is really nice, but what else might you suggest?
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 05:09 PM

He is at a great age. Our nephew (5) was here 2 weeks ago. He loved the Aquarium & zoo but his favorite was the Insta-Gator Ranch alligator farm.It is across the lake from New Orleans but worth the trip if you have a car. They let you touch a live alligator & feed them marshmallows. That was a hit with our 7 & 4 yr old nephews too. Another place across the lake is Global Wildlife. It's a 900 acre wildlife park where camels, bison, giraffes & other animals come up & eat from your hand while you travel in a caravan. Our 7 yr old nephew loved it when the giraffe tongue slopped up the food.
April should be a nice time for those outside activities. Another inside favorite is the Children's Museum on Julia St. There is a lot to keep active kids happy there.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

benj: Thanks for the tip. Sounds like a great place and I am sure that he will love it!
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:58 AM

Other fun things for kids - taking a carriage ride, watching the street performers in Jackson Square, taking a boat ride on the river, riding the St Charles streetcar, having beignets at Cafe Du Monde.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! We will be sure to put those ideas on our itinerary as well!
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 11:59 AM

I think the suggestions so far are great, but I wouldn't be so sure about beignets. I can just imagine a 6 year old with powdered sugar all over his face and clothing!! Best to plan to take him back to the room for a bath and a change of clothes after breakfast at Cafe du Monde. Have fun.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 01:37 PM

The 6 year old covered in powdered sugar is the whole point of taking him to Cafe du Monde

Old Aug 4th, 2005, 02:28 PM

It sounds funny.
However, I recall wearing navy or black shorts and being quite agitated that I needed to change my clothes after being "antiqued" by the powdered sugar.
Don't ever sneeze or exhale while eating a beignet.