Reload this Page >

No snow! Weekend trip advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 09:43 PM
meredith

We are new transplants from Florida living in Girdwood near the Alyeska resort. We are really excited to get into skiing, but since there is no snow, we don't know what to do. Been all over Anchorage. Drove to Seward and it was dead this time of year. We want to take a 3-4 day trip somewhere. We've also been to Fairbanks and would like to go again, but the drive is too long and the flight is too expensive with such short notice. We know there's tons to do and see in the Spring and summer, but where would be a good place to go this time of year for a couple of days?
Thanks,
Meredith

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meredith:

Try posting again with "ALASKA" in the title. You will get more responses!
JOHN
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 12:50 PM

I've not been there this time of year but one of my favorite places in Alaska is just a few hours down the road from you - Homer. It's a bit bigger than Seward and I'd guess has more going on in the winter. If you go, have a meal for me in the dining room at Land's End.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 06:31 AM
KMK

No snow? Alyeska's web site says they are open. I suspect if the snow is lacking the advanced skiers won't like it, but if you are just "getting into skiing", you're only going to be able to ski the green groomers anyway - fresh snow would only make it harder for you to learn. Unless I've misinterpreted your abilities (in which case, I apologize!), you might call Alyeska & ask them about learn-to-ski packages.....if you're just starting out, the terrain that's not open isn't what you'll want to ski anyway.

Good luck (& think snow!)
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 12:53 AM

Snowcat skiing wtih Valdez heli-camps. I just got a note from them: $99/day beginning Feb. 24. Might be an option. Yeah, it's pouring down rain here in Anchorage. I'll bet the pussy willows are out in Gird-World. We're off to Hawaii tomorrow.