No Pets Lodging Please

Jun 14th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Polk

No Pets Lodging Please

Don't get me wrong I like most dogs and cats with the exception of pit bulls but I am not comfortable staying in a motel or hotel that allows pets.

Face it...dogs and cats are not clean (maybe greyhounds are because they don't have long hair), but dogs and cats have allergry causing dander, shed hair, have fleas, and some owners even dare bring into hotels and motels pets are not even housebroken. And then there are those alarmingly popular exotic pets like boa constrictors and iquanas that check in with their masters(most likely in an unassuming cardboard box)

We all know most motels require a pet fee to cover damages these animals incur.

We have non smoking restaurants.
Why not non pet lodging not just for some but for all hotels and motels?

If pet owners insist there are always the Bates Motels of this world who will accomodate them.

Jun 14th, 2002, 12:26 PM
xxx

WTF are you talking about? The vast majority of hotels/motels do not allow pets. Just pick one and go there!

Jun 14th, 2002, 01:02 PM
kkj

There are hundreds of hotels that don't allow pets. It shouldn't be very hard to find one that doesn't allow pets. If you do stay in a hotel that allows them then request a non-smoking room. It seems like they usually put the pets in a smoking room.

Just to be politically correct not all pets shed (many breds do not) and not all pets have fleas.

I bet lots of hotel owners would almost rather have pets than people. After all pets don't steal.

Jun 14th, 2002, 02:32 PM
r-travels

I remember reading a letter years ago, attributed to Kemmons Wilson, founder of Holiday Inn. It was a reply to a letter asking if pets were allowed at Holiday Inns. The reply went on about how pets had never stolen a TV, linen, had never over-flowed a bathtub, nor set fire to the bed smoking.... (etc.) The closing was something like, "as long as your pet will vouch for you, you're all welcome at my hotels!"

One thing that Wilson required was kennels at every Holiday Inn unless prohibited by local law. He certainly set a standard, which unfortunately has sunk since his departure from this earth.

Jun 14th, 2002, 04:44 PM
kelly

My humans have to try and find a hotel/motel that will accept me, and most places will NOT let me stay there. Some places I've stayed have certain rooms for pets.
Why don't you ask the hotel/motel when you get ready to reserve if they have a NO pet policy, or if they have rooms for pets only?
I do understand that a lot of people don't want to be around pets while traveling, because a lot of pets are full of fleas, and cause allergies to act up, and some make a lot of noise, (I don't 'cause my human trained me to be a good dog) but sometimes our humans have to take us. And sometimes they just can't bear to leave us behind in kennels or with strangers.

Jun 14th, 2002, 05:20 PM
seamus

My dogs do not shed, do not have fleas because they receive a bath and Advantage once a month, do not bark excessively and are a lot cleaner than the truck driver or Hell's Angel who slept in your hotel bed last night. At least most places fog the room after a pet has stayed in it and that is the extra charge the owners pay for. Some of the most obnoxious detritus I've found in hotel rooms has nothing to do with pets, my friend. Polk, you obviously have no understanding of responsible pet ownership---why don't you just stay home in your sterile environment and not interact with any of God's creatures?

Jun 14th, 2002, 07:07 PM
TatesMom

My dog is a Poodle.The do not shed,nor do they have fur.They have hair.Just like you.If you still have your hair.
You might have shed all of yours already.He keeps his and no one has a problem with him.
We stayed in a hotel in London.In Mayfair,very la dee dah.
We had to move because there were fleas in our bed.There were no pets allowed,the people left them.

Jun 14th, 2002, 09:48 PM
sara

Ditto to the post who directed you to a hotel that doesn't allow pets if you feel that strontly about it. And they're correct...most do not. So what's got you ruffled?

I'd much rather spend a night in a room where a pet had been than suffocate in a room where overnighters puffed on weeds during their entire stay and smelled up not only the bed you just slept in, but the carpet, furniture, and draperies as well. For your information, most hotels that do allow our furry friends check out the pet prior to admitting them to the room. By the same token, I'd like to check in a hotel where the PEOPLE who are going to leave their mark in and on the room could be check out by the owner.

Your assumption that dogs and cars aren't clean is incorrect. Just work in an emergency room for a few nights and then we'll see who isn't clean!

Jun 14th, 2002, 09:52 PM
petsrus

I agree with all the pet lovers. I would rather be cooped up in a room with pets than with the human ones. At least they don't insult each other.

Jun 14th, 2002, 11:55 PM
Pauline

For my birthday 2 months ago we stayed
at a well respected B&B in Sooke BC that's in all the guidebooks and rated very highly. They don't accept pets (as is typical in B&Bs) and our romantic stay was ruined because the wonderful looking canopy bed was ridden with an enormous amount of fleas. We found out when we started getting bitten and turned on the lights to discover fleas literally hopping all over the sheets and quilt! No pets but hundreds of fleas and an expensive lodging. When we complained the next day they told us we were "imagining things" and wouldn't give us any money back on this horrid room. I've never had that problem at a place that accepts pets though.

Jun 15th, 2002, 03:19 PM
me

What a birthday that must've been. Well, either someone sneaked in with a flea-ridden pet, or a human was totally flea-infested. I'll bet on the latter!

Jun 16th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Polk

Pauline,
If there was such a large number of fleas at your room at the B&B couldn't you have captured some in a mason jar to diplay to your hosts and arriving guests....that would get you your refund in a hurry. No doubt this was a B&B that catered to pets until the flea problem came about.

Jun 16th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Polk

seamus,
That's right. Go ahead and fix the blame for hotel-motel fleas on truck drivers and Hells Angels.

Be thankful that truck drivers are out there working their butts off bringing us fresh produce, television sets and computers like the one you wrote your message on.

What do dogs and cats do all day other than eat, sleep, scratch, poop, hiss, growl, and bark. Yes, once in a while they may catch a rodent or fetch a stick if they feel in the mood..but...come on..they don't do squat. On second thoughtl...they doo usually in the neighbors yard.
Truck drivers on the other hand are hardworking, responsible taxpaying citizens who keep our economy rolling.

As far as Hells Angels go..they are more hygenic than left over hippies.

If the truckers ever went on strike you'd hear a lot of pet owners whining about the shelves being bare of pet food and kitty litter.

Search this Thread