NO GO zones in NY

Mar 25th, 2012, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

NO GO zones in NY

I'm traveling to america with a friend in August. Being the two impressionable young women that we are, we have a good idea of where we want to go but we want to be safe!! where are the red flags? where are the must sees? help !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 25th, 2012, 04:34 AM

NYC is the safest large city in the country. Your hotel will be in a tourist area - and most of Manhattan is a perfectly safe tourist area. (Others areas are generally safe but not really full of tourist attractions.)

Do NOT
Hang out around the docks
Walk down dark alleys alone at 3 AM

You don;t say how old you are - but assuming you are of drinking age (21 - strictly enforced) there are several rules for bars and clubs.

Never let go of your purse
Never leave your drink unattended (there are guys walking around with roofies)
Never drink enough that you are not fully cognizant of what you are doing (this is the most important part and completely within your control)

As for the must sees, the web site here has a list - and there are lots of gujide books. If you tell us what your interests are people can make specific recos.
Mar 25th, 2012, 08:28 AM

If you see someone carrying a Fodor's RUN.

You should just be aware of your surroundings. And if are afraid look for a doorman, a cop, an open store, or hop in a cab. You will be surprised how crowded certain areas are well after midnight.

If you find yourslelf on a desserted street, walk to the north/south Avenue blocks. They have buses and all sorts of vehicular traffic and more pedestrians.

There are many 24 hour restaurants and convenience stores. The subway also runs 24/7.
Mar 25th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

thanks guys! good advice, yeah we're 21 so definitely of drinking age. Wouldn't mind visiting the friends set, things like that.

And thanks for the heads up about the roofie, well be sure to cover our drinks at all times
Mar 25th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Original Poster

we'll* (pedantic)
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:00 AM

Um, friends was made in LA -not New York.
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:07 AM

You must be the first "impressionable young women" who I've ever heard describe themselves in that way!

Good luck.
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:30 AM

Re "must sees" -- I'd recommend doing some serious guidebook and online research, as there are scads of wonderful attractions to experience in NYC, perhaps more so there than anywhere else in the US. Coming back to re-post a suggested itinerary after researching is a good way to get useful help here.

There are a few not-good areas in NYC, mostly in the outer boroughs. Traditional advice recommends that areas in Manhattan to at least keep one's wits about you (and mostly very late at night, at that) are above 96th Street and in parts of the Meatpacking District, Lower East Side, and Alphabet City -- but note well that these areas have also improved over the last several years. It's also wise to avoid parks at night (unless there's an event going on) and avoid riding the subway late at night (take a cab). But NYC, especially Manhattan, is one of the safest cities to visit in the US.
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:45 AM

Meatpacking District, Lower East Side, and Alphabet City --

The weekend starts on Thursday night and ends some time around 4 AM Sunday morning. There are usually scores of people on the streets.

When was the last time you were in these neighborhoods?
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:56 AM

The info above is not really correct. All of the areas mentioned are just fine - except as I said - walking down a dark alley alone at 3 am.

If out late partying just stick with your friend - and you will be fine. The subway runs 24/7 - but only every 20 minutes or so between midnight and abuot 6 am - so hopping in a cab might be faster.
Mar 26th, 2012, 06:20 AM

"When was the last time you were in these neighborhoods?"

Anywhere from three years ago to last year. And I did say "Traditional advice recommends" and "at least keep one's wits about you (and mostly very late at night, at that)" and "note well that these areas have also improved over the last several years." I did not say "run screaming away" or anything of the kind, which is quite different. I don't see what the problem is.
Mar 26th, 2012, 06:46 AM

Bach

You specifically identified a few areas as suspect and that simply is not the case.
Mar 26th, 2012, 07:36 AM

As Adu stated, the streets i those ateascwill be packed.
Mar 26th, 2012, 07:48 AM

While the streets are packed well into the evening, I do think that late at night/very early morning the area east of Tompkins Square Park and parts of the LES are not good places to be wandering, particularly if you've been drinking.
Mar 26th, 2012, 08:21 AM

Thank you Fra_D -- I agree with you. I consider this largely equivalent to what I was trying to say above, not how other posters seem to be black-and-white characterizing what I said.
Mar 26th, 2012, 09:31 AM

While the streets are packed well into the evening, I do think that late at night/very early morning the area east of Tompkins Square Park and parts of the LES are not good places to be wandering, particularly if you've been drinking.
I live a few blocks from Tompkins Square and the only iffy areas are near the projects. The number of bars and restaurants on Avenues A, B, and C is ever increasing, especially on C. Condos and coops are going for high six figures and some in the 7 figure range.

The LES has changed so dramatically that The School of Visual Arts (SVA) has built a dorm on Ludlow Street.

It is just not the world you once knew.
Mar 26th, 2012, 09:40 AM

Here are the crime statistics for the Ninth Precinct which is from the river to Broadway from 14th Street to Houston. And there are a number of projects in the precinct:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs009pct.pdf
Mar 26th, 2012, 09:50 AM

Do the words "What are you going to do, shoot me?" ring a bell?*

I'm not saying it's as dangerous an area as it once was (and I remember it from the Seventies).

I do believe that two young visitors from overseas should know that the neighborhood has iffy spots and they had best keep their eyes open.

*http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/28/ny...uFresne&st=cse
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:30 AM

That is a seven year old case you posted. If it was any thing but murder the statute of limitations would have run out.
_____

The East Village and LES have kids there age out at all hours than any other area in Manhattan including foreigners and kids from the burbs.

Come some night and display your notions of the area.

Search this Thread