Search

NJ vs NYC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NJ vs NYC

I've read previous posts regarding this topic, but I haven't seen any postings from New Jersians(sorry if that's not correct). I have reservations at the Hilton in Hasbrouck Heights. I spoke with thier front dest and they said a bus ride into the city was about 30 min. and lands you at Port Authority. The room prices are GREAT!! So if there are any locals out there who could verify the hotels information of transportation into the city, and the ease of traveling to and from NYC I'd greatly appreciate it. I'll be traveling with teenage daughters.

Thank you.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 05:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
My personal opinion is to stay in NYC. I grew up in NJ and it is never easy to get in and out of NY.
You may save money, but you will spend half of your life on a bus.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:09 AM

It depends on what kind of trip you want and what you plan to do. The draw of NYC includes nightlife, shopping, shows, dinners. You decide if you:

>want to spend an hour or more on a bus every day
>want to give up going out to dinners in NYC b/c you're exhausted from touring around all day and don't have any place to sit and rest or change clothes.
>want to schlepp shopping packages around with you all day.
>have to get home by a certain time b/c buses stop running

If you HAVE to stay in NJ, you might consider one of the hotels in Jersey City near a PATH train which is much faster than the bus. The Hyatt Regency is the best option.

If you will have a car with you, it would be slightly different. You could drive yourself, park in Manhattan and come and go as you please. How long is your visit for? For a weekend or so, imo, it makes no sense. For a longer stay, perhaps the cost savings outweighs the inconvenience, but you'll have to plan your days carefully.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 07:53 AM

A couple of other things to factor in: How often do those buses run? Many commuter buses from NJ run only every hour or so except during rush hour. You might be ready to head back after dinner or a show, but still have to wait for the next bus to NJ. And you should also consider travel time to & from Port Authority every day. Unless there is a reason why you have to be in or near Hasbrouck Heights, I would not recommend staying there for a NYC trip.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 07:58 AM

I have never stayed in a city where I didn't want to return to my hotel or apartment at least a couple times a day. Packing up for the day to make a full day trip into the city without opportunity for changing clothes, relaxing, resting, etc., just isn't my idea of having a good time.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 08:05 AM
E_M

Getting in an out of the city is a hassle. If you must, I second finding a location by a PATH train.

**Jersey Girl, born and bred**
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 10:12 AM

For most people one of the major reasons they go to New York is to see and experience Manhattan - which is IMHO completely different from anyplace else in the US. This can really be done only if you stay in the city, so - as mentioned above

you can do restaurants or nightlife without worrying about rushing to a once an hour bus

you can walk out of your hotel into the atmosphere of the city

if you have been shopping or even just trekking around all day you can go back to the hotel to relax and/or change before going out at night

Habrouck Heights is a suburb just like millions of other suburbs across the US - and has nothing to do with New York.

If you stay therre you will regret the long hours you spend sitting on or waiting for a bus to take you back and forth. (If you MUST stay in Jersey do stay someplace with train access - which is quite reliable. With buses the 30 minute ride can take 30 minutes ot 1.5 hours - depending on traffic, accidents, trucks too big getting stuck in one of the tunnels to Manhattan etc.)

I live in Manhattan and used to work in New Jersey. The drive took betwen 35/40 minutes if the roads were clear. But - except at around 10pm they're not. I would leave an hour and would be late at least 3 days per week. It sometimes took 2 hours (accident, rubbernecking and/or traffic).
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 10:55 AM

I live in NJ and while I think you'd be fine at one of the hotels near Secaucus or Jersey City, Hasbrouck Heights isn't 30 minutes from the city.

Mapquest will probably say it's less than that. But, the reality is that unless you're traveling back and forth at off hours, you'd be on three very heavily traveled roads.

The hotel is probably near or on Route 17. From 17, you'd take Route 3 to the Lincoln Tunnel. Unless you go back and forth after the rush hour, that trip could easily run an hour or more.

On a bad day, it could easily take 45 minutes just to get through the tunnel.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Ryan. Great detailed information. I live about 30 miles from LA, so I know exactally what you're talking about.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 05:09 PM

I grew up less than 15 miles from Manhattan. If you're visiting NYC, then stay in NYC. The back and forth is a huge PITA. If you must stay in NJ, ditto the above and stay near a PATH station.

Manhattan is magical at night, you'll miss a lot if you're schlepping in and out of the city.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:02 PM

Greek bread or no Greek bread, look at it this way. If you were going to other great cities of the world would you stay 30 miles? away. Ya gotta be IN it to appreciate it most. Please post your new hotel.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 10:30 AM
GoTravel

Bad idea.

Any money you save will be eaten up by the time and cost of commute. Don't forget that you have to pay for four people to and from Manhattan. That bus ride isn't free.

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 11:05 AM

So you are visiting NJ not NY right?
As a former Exit 14A person (thats jersey speak for where ya from)
I commend you for visiting and spending your time in the Garden State. Enjoy.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 11:26 AM

As a former resident of northern NJ (not too far from Hasbrouck Heights) who commuted into NYC everyday I'll cast another vote for DON'T DO IT. As much as saving money makes staying in NJ seem attractive you'll be spending more time on the commute then you will on anything else you do during your visit.

You are being misled about the length of the bus ride - it's going to take much longer than 30 minutes plus as others pointed out, that doesn't even cover the time you'll spend waiting for the bus (both coming and going), getting to/from the Port Authority terminal to wherever you are spending your day and the enevitable time you'll waste while you are stuck in traffic trying to get through the Lincoln Tunnel.

Do you and your daughters a favor, find a place in mid-town Manhattan and enjoy all that the city has to offer.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 06:59 PM

In case the OP is still debating whether to stay in NJ, here's some more info.... I live in the area and know the bus routes.

It is possible for the ride from that hotel to NYC to be 30 minutes or less, usually btw 30-45. But it depends on the time of day. I would say that there is one route that is more convenient for going into the city and a different route more convenient for returning. Buses run rather frequently during commuter hours. After that it is 1-2 times an hour. The last bus from NY to NJ is after 1:00am.

You don't say what time of year you are traveling but maybe it's when the NYC hotel rates are very hight and I understand sometimes the decision has to be purely financial. A one way fare from that point is about $3.10. (fares going up in June 10% or so) Do the math based on what the quoted hotel rates are taking into consideration how much the commute would cost and how much the commuting is worth (time and money) to you.

Also as others said, some other NJ hotels near a bus or train route (Secaucus, Jersey City, East Rutherford) might work out a little better if you can't stay in NYC.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 08:06 AM

The other factor is how big NYC really is...you will be taking a bus to PA then possibly another bus or train to one of the bouroughs if you are visiting them. Remember, even if you are in Manahattan all the time it is still an enormous city to get around in. If you stay outside the city, try to stay on a train route over a bus route as traffic is unpredictable.