NJ Turnpike lunches?

Search

NJ Turnpike lunches?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NJ Turnpike lunches?

My husband and I are driving with my mother-in-law to Maine next weekend. She's been making this trip at least once a year for forever (she's originally from Maine). Her habit is to stop for lunch at the Clara Barton service center (mp 5?). Old habits die hard, but I am not looking forward to another bad turnpike meal.

Are there any good, quick and cheap lunch places anywhere in the area that I could suggest as an alternative? It has to be easy to get off and back on the Turnpike. We ususally reach Clara Barton around 11 am, so we could drive a little farther north, and eat alittle later, but I also wouldn't want to get too tied up with a busy lunch crowd.

(Bless this woman's soul -- when we make this trip we stop exactly three times between Richmond VA and Bath ME. Two 'pit stops' where we actually get out of the car, one of which is lunch, and then once again to fill the gas tank just before we leave NJ. She doesn't want to take the time to stop any more than that, and on a really good trip, it's 13 hours in the car!)
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:41 AM
J62

Why not pack a really nice picnic lunch then stop at the rest area or exit of your choice?
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:59 AM

Well the only place I can really think of for easy access on and off the Turnpike would be Jersey Gardens. The shopping center close to Newark Airport.

The turnpike does not have alot of restaurants close by, and I agree the "rest stops" for a nice lunch are not my favorite either.

Another suggestion would be some of the hotels in the Meadowlands and there are a few restaurants around them as well.

Ok not my favorite but there is a Cracker Barrel off exit 5, I think. We were there a few months ago, and the shop there is kind of fun, your MIL will love it.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 10:41 AM

The tough thing about the Turnpike in NJ you will find is that many of the exits lead to other major highways and few of those have restaurant options.

The suggestion for the Meadowlands area is probably your best bet. There are lots of restaurants on Route 3 & 17 I'm not too familliar with southern NJ options.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 10:46 AM

Clara Barton is the southbound service area, from what I'm reading on NJTP's website. The northbound one is called John Fenwick, with a Burger King.

Instead of taking the NJTP right after crossing the Delaware River, you may want to take I-295 north instead. More exits, more restaurants along the way; and save a little on the toll.

Just stay on I-295 North until Exit 36, get on NJ73 South for under 1/2 mile and get back onto the NJTP.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 01:56 PM

If you stay on the Turnpike - which I would recommend for most direct route - there really are few options for lunch and they all taste the same. I would either bring a decent lunch or tough it out at one of the rancid service centers and dream of better food in Maine - the detour I do not believe would really be worth it.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 03:10 PM

if you are looking for food i agree with the suggestion of using 295. but be careful following it up as you kind of have to exit off it where it converges with other roads that take you to philly.

OR stay on the turnpike you could get off and on at exit 4 (route 73) tons of places to eat but a traffic nightmare.

if you decide to try 295, the easiest way back to the turnpike is to take the exit for 195 (shore points) off of 295. the turnpike is only a few miles east. good luck.