Search

Night Tour of DC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Night Tour of DC

I have read that the FDR, Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials and the Vietnam and Korea Veterans Memorials (I believe that all of these sites are in "the Mall") are beautiful to see at night. I am a female travelling alone in late July. I'm sure there will be other tourists out there, but can I feel comfortable walking around all of these sites alone after dark? I would rather do it all on my own, but if it's wiser, I'll join an evening tour group. Any advice?
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 05:52 AM

I would not hesitate to visit the memorials alone at night. As long as it isn't too late, there will be plenty of people around. It is dark walking between the memorials, but stay alert and you'll be fine.

When walking through the FDR, make sure to stroll over to the water and look over at the Jefferson Memorial...Beautiful!!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 05:35 AM

Agree. I wouldn't hesitate to go myself. Just stay alert.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:19 AM

Vietnam Memorial is NOT good to see at night if you want to read the names on the wall. It is MUCH better during the day! Good ones to see at night: Jefferson, Lincoln, Marines' Memorial (AKA Iwo Jima)

Yes, stay alert and you will be fine. There will be a lot of other people there at night.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 01:18 PM

I spend about a week per month in DC, in the summer I always go the memorials and monuments alone at night. There will be TONS of people out and about, you will feel very secure. I was justthere last week and it was just jammed with people at night. I much prefer the nighttime for several reasons: more beautiful with the lights, it's cooler, and if you start out just after dusk you will be treated to the firefly show!

Sometimes I drive and park on Constitution near 2oth. Sometimes I take the Metro to Arlington and walk across the bridge. (The Arlington Metro closes early so don't try to take this train "home.") Sometimes I get off at Farragut West and walk down 17th and make a detour around the White House before heading over to WW2, Lincoln, Vietnam, and Korea. (The Smithsonian stop is OK, too but I like the other 2 walks better.)

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 02:03 PM

All of the memorials are impressive, but the Korean War Memorial is especially impressive if you see it in the moon light. It is eerily realistic. You can almost feel what it would be like to be with a group of soldiers on a patrol at night. For a vet like me, it was quite moving, but without the feeling of sadness the Vietnam memorial evokes.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Everybody, thank you for your comments... I am now even more excited about my trip!!!
debi
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 02:06 PM

I've done the monument night tour by myself (on one of those Grayline tours) ... Lots of people at the monuments at night. Very spectacular and emotional to see at night. I always recommend the night tour as I enjoyed it so much.