Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Night Safety in DC--walking around and metro cautions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
As I plan my trip to D.C. I've noticed that there are all sorts of interesting restaurants all around.
I like to walk a lot, I'll be staying in the Foggy Bottom/near Georgetown area. I would like to know where it is foolish to walk or take the train to and from at night? What areas would be 'taxi musts'? Where should I be cautious?

Basically I've noticed some interesting eateries in the Downtown Area (example, near K Street and 15th), in Georgetown, and in Dupont Circle and near Connecticut Ave. I would probably be having dinner about 9ish (finishing 10ish) so would appreciate your feedback on any safety, or awareness issues with any of these areas to go back and forth to. Some of these areas seem near enough that a 15 minute walk should do it. But I don't know the area like you folks do and I don't know what walks are foolish to do at night. Now, if you find that certain walks to and from my hotel area to these locales are indeed desolate and unpopulated then would the train be better to take or would that be a wrong choice as well (unpopulated and/or unsafe)?

Of course anything can occur anywhere but having your great feedback on what's populated and safe, and what's unpopulated and even a bit unsafe, would be extremely helpful.

I am greatly looking forward to coming to Washington D.C. and to your advice.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:51 AM

Every place you mentioned is going to be fine. The only place that may feel more desolate is the walk to 15th and K Street, and even that wouldn't be so bad. I'd probably try to take the Metro there, only because it is a longish walk from FoggyBottom/G-town.

A lot depends on how comfortable you are with urban life. Will you likely encounter some homeless people? Sure. Will you walk by some blocks that feel less homey than others? Sure. But overall, all the places you mentioned are perfectly fine.

There's a widely-held misperception that DC is unsafe. While we have a high crime rate, crime does not generally occur where tourists are likely to end up.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:05 AM

Like MikeT says you should be fine with everywhere you've mentioned, especially for dinner. Take normal urban area precautions and enjoy! DC is actually a really nice city for walking.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:33 AM

15th and K does get shady at night. I used to work in that area and would take a cab home if I had to stay late (instead of walking to McPherson Sq).
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:37 AM

I've stayed in the Foggybottom area near Georgetown seveal times. It's probably one of the safer areas of the city. we've often walked from Georgetown, Foggybottom to Dupont Circle late at night and felt quite comfortable. Dupont Circle and Georgetown are hopping until late in the evening. Foggybottom is quieter, but still fine. Downtown may be a little more sketchy, but really not dangerous.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:48 AM

Look at the route and hours for the DC Circulator Bus (www.dccirculator.com) to see how it meets your needs. One of its routes run between Gtown and Union Station, some of it on K, if I remember from my last trip. Fare is $1/day for unlimited use. Look at its new loop around much of the National Mall as well.

My last stay in DC I was at 13th & M and walked to/from McPherson Sq as late as midnite alone. I never felt threatened or intimidated. DC has become quite a safe city. Enjoy your trip.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:06 AM

A $1 a day for the circulator? Wow, that's a great deal.

Lotrhp, I've stayed in the Foggy Bottom area and walked from the metro to my hotel - I was with another person, but would have felt comfortable by myself. It was a pretty quiet, residential area.
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input.
Now, I have heard that downtown can be sketchy in parts. What parts? If I eat near the MCI Center (let's say by G Street and 7th) is that okay at night? And I guess since I'm pretty far away I'd take the train back (probably around 10ish)...Is the area by that metro area safe too?
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:13 PM

I'm not sure what you are defining as "sketchy." Again, this is about your definitions.

7th and G is perfectly safe at night and the Gallery Place Metro will be very populated at 10pm. The Metro is going to busy up until 11pm on weekdays and past midnight on weekends.
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I went last year with girl friend and our daughters. We walked most everywhere touristy in the city, but we cabbed it home at night after dinner to be on the safe side. I don't know whether you are male or female, but traveling alone would make me more likely to cab home from dinners rather than walk solo. That is me.