Search

Night out in NYC

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Night out in NYC

We are planning a trip to New York with our kids. We want to get a sitter one night and go out by ourselves. We are looking for a cool trendy vibe - nothing too stuffy. We're thinking about the Meatpacking District and maybe dinner at Sprice Market. Maybe a drink at Hotel Gansevoort(sp?). Am I heading in the right direction or should I be looking at another neighborhood? We're staying in Midtown, but don't mind traveling for a fun evening. Thanks for all your help!
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:07 PM

I'd suggest getting a copy of New York Magazine it will list everything going on in the city.

The Meatpacking district is pretty rundown area of the city, but is being gentrified, I would not suggest walking around in that area at night, if you don't know the city.

You might enjoy the Village, East or West lots of restaurants, some with live music, lots of shops, nite spots, jazz clubs, comedy clubs, theatres and movie theatres so you shouldn't have a problem finding something fun to do.

Cool trendy I would recommend Flute Bar there are 2 locations and one opened recently in the Flatiron District. I think the website is www.theflutebar.com

Have a great time while you are here.
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:18 PM

Meatpacking is happening. I walk around in the neighborhood at night and feel completely safe. It has changed alot in the past couple of years - lots of restaurants, bars, clubs. As for Spice market, I think it's a good choice. I'd suggest you to make a reservation. Yes, a rooftop bar on the Gansevoort Hotel has an awesome view. I personally like that bar a lot.
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:32 PM

Wantsomesun, you must not have been in the Meatpacking district in the past year or two...it's almost as busy as Times Square!

Lrjones, Spice Market is great, but tough to get a reservation. The downstairs bar, which is spacious and exotic, serves excellent drinks and appetizers. So if you can't get a dinner reservation, try that. I also really love the bar (and the beer) at Markt on 14th & 9th.
Old May 25th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Wantsomesun, the Meatpacking District has become some of the most expensive real estate in the city.
The restaurants and lounges that occupy the old buildings are among the trendiest and most costly that New York has ever known.

Irjones, it is still very difficult to get into most of the places around there. Call ahead, well in advance, for Spice Market.
If you don't wind up eating there, it's at least worth a look for the view at Htl. Gansevoort's roof, which gets PACKED with 20-somethings shortly after 11pm or so.