New York City Evenings with teenagers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a single mom taking my two kids (ages 20 & 17) to NYC next week. We're staying at the Novitel in Times Square. This is my first solo vacation with just me and the kids so I'm a little nervous about it. Anyway, other than the basic tourist things during the day, what is there to do in the evening with 2 older kids. We're going to a Broadway show on Friday evening, but I don't want the other nights to be just sitting around the hotel room by 8:00pm. We'll probably go to a nice restaurant on another night, but I don't want to be spending $300. Any suggestions on things to do and good restaurants that won't break me? Thanks
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:08 AM
GoTravel

Even when not going to a Broadway show I've never been in my hotel room by 8PM.

Times Square has tons to do. Bar Code? Movies? Virgin Megastore? Sephora? Empire State Buidling? Grayline night time Bus Tour of Brooklyn?

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:45 AM

If you're taking teenagers, they'll LOVE spending an evening in/around Greenwich Village. It's very nice walking around there during the evening (some streets are quite peaceful -- IF you stay off of 8th St or 6th Ave -- but those are GREAT FUN, just more busy). Many places are open late, including many restaurants.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:55 AM

The 7PM Circle Line Sunset cruise.

BB King Jazz club in Times Sq(I don't think it goes 21+).

Caroline's Comedy Club, also in Times Sq.

Trapeze school [Not a night activity]:
http://newyork.trapezeschool.com

Also, I think Bar Code is out of business.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 09:39 AM

Agree with the OrangeNeko. Head down towards Greenwich Village/Soho on Saturday Night. Plenty of restaurants, shops, etc.

From Broadway over to 7th Avenue and from about 14th down to Canal Street will have plenty for young adults.

In terms of restaurants, my suggestion would be to find one that looks appealing based upon where you are at the time you decide to eat. A good rule of thumb is go somewhere that looks popular, especially with locals.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:24 AM

The other good rule of thumb re: restaruants is that if it is in Times Sq., more likley than not it isn't very good.

And PLEASE do not go to the Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Applebee's, etc.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:54 AM

Go to Serendipity for dessert later in the evening.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:34 AM

Two great restaurants close to your hotel are Imperial Dragon and Minar. Imperial Dragon (55th bt. 5th & 6th) is this great low key, nicely decorated chinese place. The food is reliable and fresh. I take everyone I know there and have never had someone not like it. It is great pre-theatre and easy on the wallet. Dinner for 3 will probably be around $40-50. Minar 46th bt. Broadway & 6th) is this great family owned Indian restaurant. The decor is tacky tacky tacky but don't let that discourage you. The food is wonderful and cheap. If you are new to Indian pop in for a snack and order some Samosas. Listen to vacationdreamer - most of the big places in Times Square aren't terrific. The kitchens are slinging out food. Red Lobster, Friday's, Olive Garden will not taste as good as they do at home.

I can't even imagine being back in the room by 8. Times Square is best at night and does anything ever close there? The Village is fun. Plan on eating around 7 or 8. My sisters come in from out of town and they are so in the habit of eating at 5 or 6 which cuts into some activities. Remember the museums, Bloomie's (Serendipity is great and a block away), Fifth Avenue, etc. are all open until 8 or 9 so grab a late afternoon snack and keep on trucking through the sites.

Most importantly have fun!
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:59 AM

Just realized a place that might appeal to you if you wanted to try a French type place with your kids in the Soho area. It's called L'Ecole and it's on Broadway near Houston (I forget the exact cross street.)

It's the restaurant affiliated with the French Culinary Institute so the food is prepared and served by their students, some of whom will no doubt leave for some of the cities top restaurants. You can get a full four or five course fixed price dinner for about $22ish per person, not including beverages. (Their Pastry department is led by Jacque Torres and his deserts at Le Cirque were lengendary for their artistry and taste. Definately a place to save room.)

Given the price, a reservation is usually a good idea. Also, as they may not be in session, it'll confirm if they even have hours.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:04 PM

NY is a late town. Many of the museums have late nights on Fri & Sat and while museums may not be high on your teens' list of "must sees," going in the evening is fun. Why not go to the Met museum on Sat. around 4 or 5, have a look around at some of the highlights and then go to the roof terrace for a drink (non-alcoholic for them) and a nice view.

Check whether there will be Shakespeare in the park while you're there. Here's a website that should have info on that and other things.

http://www.nycvisit.com/calendar/eve...cfm?pagePkey=9
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:33 PM

Suggest you explore a couple of neighborhoods - just window shopping (upper west side, village etc), have dinner at New York hours (dinner doesn;t start until after 8pm) in a casuale place and then go to a sidwalk cafe for a drink (soft for the kids) and people watching. That will hold you until at least 11 or so.

Also note that all the B&Ns and Towers are open until midnight for browsing.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 02:22 PM

Get tickets to see Stomp at the Orpheum Theater on 2nd Ave.
They have a web site.
After the show, go to one of the Indian restaurants nearby, then browse all of the shops.
Serendipity for dessert, while there is a great idea, so is just have lunch there.
Have a great time!
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 03:04 PM

What about movies? There's a great selection in the two Times Square multiplexes, which have stadium seating. Recommended for a rainy night (like tonight - ugh) when you may not want to be out walking. There are also outdoor movies at city parks (Bryant Park, Hudson River Park, Brooklyn Bridge Park).

Central Park has some free evening concerts on the Great Lawn...not sure if any are scheduled for next week. I read that on Tuesday nights at 8 there are free classical concerts in Washington Square Park (in the village).

One of my favorite nighttime things to do is just walk around, with ice cream cone in hand! Summer nights are wonderfully warm here. Many stores in high-traffic areas stay open past 8. Union Square Park, Times Square area and St Marks Place will all be interesting for your kids.