Search

Night Lava Flow

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Night Lava Flow

Hi -

What time should I be at VNP to see the lava flow at night (and no smart answers saying "at night")? I don't have any idea what time it gets dark (2nd week of August) -- or how long it will take to get to the lava flow areas from there I'd enter Volcanos Nat'l Park.
Thanks!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 06:00 PM

www.sunrisesunset.com

Find Honolulu
Click on: Calendar

A June calendar will show up.

At the bottom of the page, click on: July

A July calendar will show up.

Click on: August

August 9 sunset is 7:07

Hilo is not much different.

It will take you about 1 hour to hike to the closest point allowed to view the lava. Chances are that you will only get to about 1/2 mile from the lava & only be able to see the glow.

You might as well hike there during daylight.

Hawaii does not get as long of a twilight as the rest of the country does. So it will get dark rapidly after sunset.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:25 AM

I disagree with Dusty, it all depends on where the lava is flowing at the time, sometimes you get lucky and can see a river of lava or a spectacular fountain shooting up against the night sky, and sometimes all you get to see is a trickle plopping into the ocean, but where else are you gonna see that? There are a few things you need to concern yourself with, first talk to the rangers at the main bldg. on the day that you want to go, to see where and how much the lava is flowing, they can give you invaluable information. second, it is usually a long walk in the dark over very bumpy, uneven ground (cooled lava)so you might not want to bring little kids or anyone who can't do that kind of careful hiking. Also you have to wear really good walking/hiking shoes and bring flashlights, camera, film, and water, water, water, it is HOT near the flow.The cool thing about going to view the lava at night is that this is one of the only places in the world where you can do this safely, and it is a Hawaiian experience you won't forget, even if you only see a trickle.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:29 AM

Almost forgot, in the tropics, after sunset it gets dark very quickly, faster than it does here. It is a phenomemon that has something to do with the proximity to the equator. And out away from the towns it gets VERY dark.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:04 AM

I will tell you of my experience and bon100 gave you great advice(wish I was given the same advice).I think it's better to hike about an 1 1/2 hours before the sun goes down. It's about a 30 minute walk just to get to the trail from parking. You have to walk a mile just to get to where the trail starts. Speaking to a ranger to find out where the flows are is good advice. Since we didn't, we did alot of extra walking. Just as the sun starts to go down start walking back from the flows, that way you aren't in complete total darkness and will still get to see the glowing red lava. It took us two hours to get to the lava(of course we had to find it, should have talked to someone) and 3 hours to walk back. I wished we had started sooner because walking in total darkness is hard even with flashlights. We zigged zagged some off course. There was a small light in the distance that you had to walk to. I also, had poor shoes and walking on that uneven terrain was painful. We thought we had enough water but, we didn't so, carry more water than you think you'll need.I was never so thirsty in my life. I do a lot of hiking on trips and this was the hardest one I ever done mainly, because I wasn't prepared like I should have been. It's great experience and one that you will never forget ,just be prepared.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

WOW! What great information. Thank you all so much. (I sure do love this site.)