Lava Hike Volcano Nat'l Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We spent a wonderful 2 days at this park and want to give some advice on seeing the lava flows. The park ranger enthusiastically promoted the evening walk to see the lava flows. Be forewarned about this hike. The hike to the view point is about 30 min on a paved path, but you do not see much from here-only steam coming up in the distance. The more ambitious can hike the lava trail to the steam vents. This "trail" is on hardened lava flow. Hiking boots and flashlights with good batteries are recommended. If you decide to venture past the end of the trail to see lava flowing into the ocean-be forewarned that this is a difficult hike. It took us 6 hours round trip and we are experienced hikers in very good shape. You leave around 5pm to see the lava fields in the light and to see the sunset. The fields are rough to walk on and you will be walking over volcanic rock and boulders. Be sure to wear hiking boots as the silicon surface is like shredded glass which is wearing on the shoes. Bring lots of water and fresh batteries for headlamps and flashlights. It is a long walk and many turn back before reaching the end because you will be walking in the dark for some time, but if you make it to the end, it is an incredible sight. The walk back is even more difficult because of the rough terrain, and being unmarked, it is hard to stay on a straight path. There are beacons set up at intervals up to the end of the lava trail, but when you go out so far, they are hard to see, and not very close together. We found ourselves making a zigzag path. It makes you realize how easy it is to get lost in the wilderness. A gps unit probably would be helpful! It is well worth it, but know that it is harder than the rangers make it out to be.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 08:48 AM

Thanks, Lchin.
I posted some questions on your "hiking adventure" thread before I saw this one.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Great first-hand report lchin. Interesting that you mention that the hardened lava is full of silica; falling on it is exactly like falling on broken glass. My neighbor's grandson decided to run over the lavascape and tripped on one of the cracks and fell forward lacerating his hands and knees. He had to be evacuated on a stretcher. You were well-prepared, as we all should be out there. These are wilderness environments not Disneyland.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 04:47 PM
P_M

We did this hike in October and it was tough. On the way back I stumbled and put my hand on the rock to keep myself from going down. It was dark so I couldn't really see my hand until we got back to the B&B. That's when I noticed my hand had quite a few little cuts and scrapes, even though I didn't put a lot of pressure on when my hand hit the rock.

I agree with the advice to take lots of water, and also take snacks for energy. Flashlights are a must as well as sturdy shoes or boots. Also I recommend long pants because if you fall in shorts, your legs will be badly cut.

As tough as it was, I wouldn't trade this experience. Watching lava flow into the ocean is something you don't see in very many parts of the world.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Ag3046

In addition to long pants, plenty of water ( you are walking on warm ground), hiking boots, I also recommend:

1. a headlamp, easier to use than a torch you have to carry, and batteries.

2. Gardening or workmen's gloves- heavy suede the best to avoid the invariable cuts and scrapes when you put your hand out to steady yourself.

3. Hiking poles to help steady yourself

It really can be a 6 hour round trip, be prepared

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 05:38 AM

This is really good information - thank you!. Two questions: 1. I've seen mentioned several threads that headlamps and walking poles are a good idea. Are there places to rent such equipment? Do we need to buy or pack flashlights? 2. Good hiking shoes - what does that mean? Do I need to purchase actual hiking boots, or will a good tennis shoe do the job just as well? I work out almost every day, so I have good athletic shoes.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 11:25 AM

I would definitely bring hiking shoes, not tennis shoes. We went a few years ago on the day that it began to flow again!!My husbands shoe bottoms were slightly melted! Also, be sure to break in those boots before going. My girlfriend had blisters and her toes were wrecked because at the end she kept stumbling from exhaustion.It was an insane hike--but WOW--to see lava begin to bubble up aound you while you are only a few feet away! Yikes!