Night - clubs/bars on Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a suggestion for a bar or club on Maui where live bands play? No techno, disco junk, but blues, jazz or rock?
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 09:36 AM

If you're in Kihei on a Monday night, be sure to see the awesome award-winning, multi-talented guitarist, Willie K and his band at Hapa's Brewhaus:
http://www.mele.com/v3/artcat/williek.htm

Everything from blues, to jazz, to rock, to traditional Hawaiian -- with an occasional aria thrown in, just to spice up the night!
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 11:54 AM

Willie has also been play at the Blue Lagoon 7-10 on Thursdays and every other Friday at the Breakwater, both in Lahaina. Besides Wille, who is always my favorite, Marty Dread, Maui's Reggae Ambassador is at the Hard Rock on Mondays.

I am married to a retired bluesman, so spend a lot of time checking out local talent. Some other favorites we frequent are the Sand Bar in Pa`ia and Life's a Beach and the Sports Page in Kihei. These have live music every night. Kahale's in Kihei is behind Life's a Beach and they feature some of best local talent. Gina Martinelli plays there early Sunday evenings (6-9) and that chick has pipes! Lulu's, also in the Kalama Center, sometimes has live music.

Upcountry, Casanova has music on Thu, Fri, Sat. And then there is Crazy Fingers who play at Longhi's every week.

For jazz, Pacific`O on Friday and Saturday, and the lounges at the 4 Seasons and the Kea Lani have lighter cocktail jazz. Sandbar has been running a Monday night jazz night too. Coming soon, but I don't know when, George Benson is opening a jazz club at the Ritz where is planning to appear on a regular schedule. The island's bets jazz artist, Joe Cano, has moved to San Diego, but every now and then he is back on-island. If he is playing anywhere while you are here, make a special trip to see him. Or check him out when in Calrsbad at the Café Sevilla on Wednsesday nights.

Mulligan's in Wailea have an eclectic mix of live music. Twice a week you can find Eric Gilliom, brother of legend Amy Hanaiali'i Gilliom, and Barry Flanagan of Hapa doing an acoustic set. Eric is fabulous and has been known to show up a Willie K show to sing a song or two.

When you get here, pick up a MauiTime Weekly for the week's listings. Look for the Crunch Pups. They play every night of the week someplace on the island!
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!! My boyfriend is a professional musician as well, so we are always looking for good places to watch talented musicians.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 10:02 AM

In that case, kajebu, be sure you take in at least one Willie K show. Willie's band consists of one of the island's busiest and best (after my DH, of course) bass players, Donny Lopez and "Lady" Margaret Rainsford on keyboards. Margaret plays with Gina Martinelli too, Donny has a few other projects, including Planetary Pulse and Willie Nelson's Maui band, Panetary Bandits. Willie K can play any style guitar, and lately he has been featuring his guitar tech for at least one set each show. He is a kid named Ari from Isreal and he really has chops.

Your boyfriend also might appreciate Gypsy Pacific. They play Gypsy Jazz, lots of good guitar work. I also suggest you try to take in some of the more traditional music, some slack key or falsetto. Some names to look for might be Keali`i Reichel, Uncle Richard Ho`opi`i, The Brown Ohana, featuring Ikaika Brown. On Tuesday nights the Ritz Carlton has a Masters of Slack Key with George Kahumoku, and on the third Thursday of every month there is live music in Wailuku from 11:00 to 12:30, under the monkey pod tree at Kaahumanu Church. Bruddah Poki from KNUI radio is the host and he brings some of the best talent on the island.

You also might want to stop in at Bounty Music or Mele Ukulele, maybe take home an ukulele.

There is a wealth of music here on Maui.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 11:40 AM
SoBeTraveller

That's jazz at Pacific'O on Friday nights????? Thanks, I was wondering what that was.

Old Apr 13th, 2004, 07:39 AM

We were staying at the Hyatt last April. They had a female singer in the bar area in the evening that took song requests. She was very good but she wasn't there every night. Can't remember her name. Does anybody know her name and if she still sings there?
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 10:51 AM

A quick glance in this week's MauiTime shows that besides Tony and Tina's Wedding on T, Th, Sa, they have entertainment 6 - 9:30 nightly in the Weeping Banyon Room nightly. This week they have Sam Fukuhara, Larry Gollis and Stephanie Anderson, none of whom I have heard.

Was the woman a falsetto singer? A quick search shows that Stephanie Anderson appeared at last year's Ulupalakua Thing and was billed as a "paniolo-style singer." Perhaps that was her?
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 06:19 PM

ttt