Nice, affordable hotels in Chicago???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be going to Chicago and need some recommendations on nice hotels in the $125 - $200 a night range. Thanks.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:13 PM

Hi,
Homewood suites gets rave reviews. Includes a decent breakfast. Check hotrooms.com for good deals.
Susan
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:15 PM

Weekday or weekend visit? Downtown?
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:19 PM
Lia

A lot depends on whether you are staying in the city or the suburbs and what time of year. City hotels tend to be more expensive than those in the 'burbs, however they are also more convenient to sightseeing unless you have a car. Now that the weather is getting cooler here, hotel rates will probably go down for the next few months and there may be some "winter" specials. If you can be more specific, I'd be happy to recommend favorites!
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

I will in Chicago for the weekend. It will be in April and will be going to Wrigley field. Are there any hotels near there that are nice?
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:57 PM

I like to stay at the Westin on Michigan Avenue for shopping the Miracle Mile at Thanksgiving. I always get decent rates and the beds are nice. It is conveniently located to major league shopping and eating. I'm sure it isn't close to Wrigley though...
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:18 PM

www.rivernorthhotel.com
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:30 PM

Westin had a deal through their website which offered a 30% discount if you stay at least 2 nights.. We are going in Dec. and got a great rate of $127 a night. After a lot of looking its the best deal I found.. I also found a rate of $125 for Hampton Inn which offers rooms with kitchens and complimentary breakfast, but the Westin looks like a much nicer hotel and has the "heavenly bedding"..
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:26 PM

April isn't that big of a convention month. You should be able to find something easily. See choosechicago.com for a hotel map; in the Michigan Avenue area, you'll want to be within walking distance of State Street and Grand Ave. or State St. and Chicago Ave. for the entrances to the Red line train to Wrigley.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 03:58 AM

I stayed at the Westin on Michigan Avenue last week (we were going to see Oprah!). It is in a great location and the room was very nice. We got the room for $100 on Priceline. We bid four stars - North Michigan Avenue.

Have fun!
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Jed

We also stayed at Westin last weekend. Mikesmom, I don't mean to one-up you, but we got it for $90 on priceline. I thought the room was on the small side, but the location was very good and everybody at the hotel was exceptionally helpful and cordial. kab, as mikesmom says, try priceline with 4 star north Michigan Ave. It pays to learn the rules.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:00 AM

I've always gotten great rates for Chicago hotels from quikbook.com. Had an incredible deal at the Omni a couple of years ago-suite, breakfast for 2 at the restaurant (worth at least $30 itself) for @$90/night. We almost felt guilty the price was such a steal! Hotel was lovely, location was great.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:18 AM

Jed:

Since we were only staying one night, we didn't worry too much about our bid or the size of the room. I agree, it wasn't a large room, but it seemed to be recently renovated - new beds and linens, carpet, granite countertops in the bathroom. We had a nice view of Michigan Avenue.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Jed

mikesmom - We were in 1508 - did we pass you on the elevator?

I suspect that there were not that many people in the hotel, since there were not many newspapers in front of doors on Friday or Monday.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:40 AM

I enjoy the Meridien and believe that I last paid about $165 by going to their web site for and signing up for their Le Meridien Momemts program. No cost for the program, but better rates.

The hotel has a good location at Rush/Michigan and Grand. A very comfortable place with large rooms and nice views from many rooms!
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Lia

I second the recommendation of other posters. Rather than stay near Wrigley Field, I suggest picking a hotel on North Michigan Avenue near Water Tower. It's a major tourist area with lots of restaurants, shops, etc...and transportation to Wrigley Field is easy by "L" train, bus or taxi. If you like small boutique hotels, try the Tremont or the Talbott. If you prefer large chains, try the Westin. Any of these should offer rooms under $200/nt, except perhaps around Easter.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 07:54 AM

to chicgal's question. Where is there a hotel close to wrigley? The days inn on diversey? sheffield house? Not sure I would reccommend those to my enemy. Plus, you have much more dining/shopping/tourist options on Michigan ave or towards the loop. Plus if you get a great deal, why not? As far as proximity to wrigely, if a 15 minute ride on the red line is inconvenient, you shouldn't travel anyway. The one drawback to staying on Michigan/loop, is that the majority of the 20's 30's bars are in Lincoln Park/Lakeview/Bucktown and could get pricey with cabs depending on how many nights.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:48 PM

We were in Chicago a few weeks ago and stayed at the Omni. All the rooms are suites and are very comfortable and in a great area. We paid $149.00. Ask for a cornor suite - they are larger and have more windows. Chicago is a great town - enjoy!