Search

Niagra Falls

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Niagra Falls

Planning a trip to the falls and trying to decide on which side to stay - will fly into Buffalo - how far is the airport from the falls on the US side - how far is it from the falls on the Canadaian side? Thinking of doing a tour and not renting a car - has anyone done this? Any and all help/suggestions will be appreciated.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:34 AM

Stay on Canadian side the US side is trashy
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:35 AM
Reiss

Hi,
I visited the Falls last October with my family. I did it from the Canadian side which I thought was better.
Time was limited so we went as part of a tour, all the sights pointed out for us but we had freetime to go and see the things we wanted to.
Had lunch st the Sheraton, the view from the Penthouse resturant was awesome!
Enjoy your visit!

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:39 AM

The American side is a slum (except for the nice park you walk through to view the falls). The Canadian side is nicer and has MUCH better views. There would be very little time difference in terms of travel to the airport. The two towns are just a short bridge apart.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Reiss - could you tell me which tour company you used and also what is the name of the town to stay in on the Canadian side - also about how many miles from the Buffalo airport to the Canadain side? Thanks to everyone for so much information.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 09:31 AM
LN

If you go to the Falls you might try to also see the falls from the US side. You can get right up to the falls while on Goat Island. It's breathtaking and you can't feel the force of this from the Canadian side.

In addition, the line to get on the Maid of the Mist is much shorter than the Canadian side. Getting right up in front of the falls in a boat is awesome!

If you have additional time you might head up to the village on Lake Ontario called Niagara on the Lake - it's picturesque and quaint with many B&B's.

We didn't find the Canadian side to be terribly nicer than the American side. It comes down to whoever gives you better rates.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 09:51 AM

Due to the configuration of the Falls, the Canadian side is far nicer, and the Parks Commission does a splendid job of landscaping and preserving the area around the Falls.

No matter how long the lines are on the Canadian side for Maid of the Mist, they move very quickly (they send one boat out after another).

There's a larger selection of nicer hotels on the Canadian side.

Niagara Falls, Ontario, is just over 25 miles from the Buffalo airport.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 11:24 AM

The Canadian side has many more choices. You'll want to visit both sides, but stay in Canada. You're trip will be difficult without a car-there really isn't good public transportation available, and niether side is set up very well for pedestrians. Best to rent a car. Its about 25 minutes from the airport to the Falls. If you're only staying for one night and just ging to the Falls, you're ok w/o a car. YOu should check the Canadian board for more info. Niagara on the Lake is a great suggestion also. Additionally, try the Cave of the Winds (US side)a walk behind the Falls. there is an admission charge for this. Also, there is a great view of Niagara Falls by walking across the international bridge instead of driving it. 25 cent toll per person for walking I think.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 04:48 PM

Unless you want to visit places beyond Niagara Falls, you really don't "need" a car. A taxi from Buffalo to Niagara Falls is going to cost you about $50 one way. Buffalo to NF is only 15 miles and a 20 minute ride. Once you're there, there are trams and people movers to get you around. Driving in Niagara Falls (Canadian side)is somewhat crazy (especially during the summer when it's wall to wall people).

Most people stay on the Canadian side due to the large amount of hotel choices and the exchange rate. However, I always recommend to people that they visit the American side, as it really is breathtaking to stand at the railing where the water goes over (from several different vantage points). Also, the upper rapids are quite awesome. From the Canadian side, you see the falls in a panoramic view from a distance. As Rachel suggested, you can walk over the bridge from one side to the other (remember your papers)!

Check out this website: www.infoniagara.com. There is info. on everything you need to know, from sights, to people movers, to tours and taxi rides from Buffalo. Again, this is just another option if you don't want to be bothered with a car and you want to remain in Niagara Falls. Have a great time.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 05:01 PM

As a native, thought you might want to know that it is spelled "Niagara" with an extra "a". Goat Island on the American side is nice, great view and no parking hassle. Artpark in Lewiston and Fort Niagara in Youngstown are good spots in the US. In canada, Niagara-on-the-Lake and the Shaw Festival are nice areas. I think the tour operators are a waste of timer and money. The tour bus "makes" you stop at tourist stores that grease the driver's palms. Better off renting a car through Priceline.com at the airport and driving 35-40 minutes to the American side. Bridge traffic is slow in summer, but I think the Canadian hotels are cleaner and nicer. Food is better in the US...try LaHacienda restaurant on Pine Ave. at 31st Street for the best pizza and salad in the WORLD!(716-285-ALDO). Chippawa Street in Buffalo is good for nightlife if you are young. Great exhibit also at the Albright Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo. Good luck!
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 11:55 PM
Reiss

Hi,
Niagara on the Lake would be a great place to stay but there are lots of choices, look up some of the Niagara web sites.
I think the tour was a Grayline tour but there a others. As has been pointed out they can be a bit comercial but if time is limited they can point out things you may wish to do if you have freetime later.
Have fun!

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:48 AM

I'm from Rochester NY and I totally agree about the US side not being worthwhile, make the trip to Canada - for the exchange rate if nothing else!

The last person mentioned NOTL (Niagara on the Lake)... we did the bike wine tour by ourselves in May and stayed at this b&b... it was lovely!
http://www.bbcanada.com/3632.html
Great hosts and food, but you will definitely need a car. Its about a 15 minute drive to NOTL.

Be sure to make the Maid of the Mist trip, sounds like a cheesy tourist trap, but it was wonderful!