Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Niagara Falls Canadian Side: ID Requirements?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to get a motel on the Canadian side of the Falls. The Sheraton on that side has a notation that "Valid Documentation" needs to be provided to stay in Canada. Does anyone know if this consists of anything more than our drivers licenses? And what about for our kids?
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:41 AM

If you are US citizens, birth certificates will do. Usually, driver's licenses are enuf, but if the customs agents demands it, birth certificates will be required. Also, there has been trouble here lately for those with middle eastern names and/or appearance. The US Atty Gen office is in the process of some sensitivity training with customs agents-there's been too much profiling going on. Best bet-if you have passports, bring them. Birth certificates are a must for your kids if you don't have passports for them. If you dont have sufficient proof, you can be held at customs or turned away until you produce it. NOthing like ruining a trip by having to have someone at home fed X or fax proof for you.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:42 AM

You should check both the US and Canadian government web sites for current requirements. Because of the security situation, they can change but I'll try to tell you my understanding of what they are.

For US or Candian citizens, you must either have (1) a government issued photo ID such as a driver's license AND a certified copy of your birth certificate or (2) a valid passport from your country of origin. There may be additional requirements for citizens of other countries.

I believe your children under 18 only need to have a certified copy of their birth certificate but you really need to verify that. In addition, if both parents are not with a minor child, you will need a notarized letter of permission from the absent parent giving permission for the other parent to take the child out of the country.

Before I get flamed from other posters telling us they were able to cross with just a driver's license and did not need a birth certificate, my comments only refer to what I understand the requirments to be, not what any individual customs/immigration officer might ask for.

You should also be aware the border officers have the right to exclude any non-citizen of their country from entry for any or no reason. I don't think it happens often but it can happen. I am aware of one case where Canada denied entry to an otherwise eligible person because they found a few handgun bullets in the man's truck-no weapons just bullets. They would not listen to his excuse that he lived in a rural area and the bullets were left over from target shooting excursion.

They also can exclude anyone with a criminal record and Canada considers a DUI conviction to be a criminal record.

Having given you all the bad news, I have crossed the US/Canadian border at least 25 times by road, rail, and air, and have never had any trouble or inordinate delay in doing so. The officers I have encountered on both sides have been polite. I was selected once for a full baggage and auto search and that took less than 15 minutes and was done without any rancor. Just be polite and honest and you should be fine.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:45 AM

I think the OP is talking about the hotel, not the Canadian immigration. Anyways, if Canada let you into their country, then you've had enough "valid documentation" to get a hotel room. But of course, like most hotels in N. America, they'll need a credit card imprint for charges if necessary. Do you have one?
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just call the motel to see what's required. If I need to take our birth certificates just to spend one night in a motel it's not worth it; we'll just stay on the American side. We do have a credit card. Hopefully that and our drivers licenses will be enough.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Of course that's enough. There's really no difference in hotel policy what you need to get a room. If you can get a room in the US, you can get one in Canada.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 12:28 PM

As is clearly stated on the Sheraton website, the documentation is "strongly suggested by Canadian Customs" - documentation is not a requirement for booking or staying in a hotel/motel - rather for crossing back into the USA. Most report that documentation is hardly ever requested - but, if it is, you must have it.

You will need proper documentation (such as birth certificates) if you wish to visit the Canadian side (highly recommended) of the Falls and return to the USA, whether you stay overnight there or not.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 04:54 PM

I think there's some confusion here. This documentation has nothing to do with hotels - it is needed to get from the US into Canada - and from Canada back into the US - which from my experience is much more difficult.

It doesn;t matter which side you stay on - if you're going to the Canadian side at all (and don;t reco bother going to the falls without doing that - since most of the good stuff is there IMHO) you will need these documents.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:42 PM

We went to the Falls post-9/11 and were surprised at how easy it was to get through the border. My husband & I actually exchanged glances and thought "Is this security?" I guess we didn't look too threatening in our very full mini-van with 3 little kids in the backseat. We had photocopied birth certificates, but were never asked for them. If you're making the trip - you really need to go over to the Canadian side. Don't let photocopying some birth certificates stop you.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:51 PM

A PHOTOCOPY of a birth certificate is not acCeptable.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 02:43 AM

I'd have to disagree, you need a driver's license or state photo I.D. and a Passport. A Passport is definite proof of your U.S. citizenship. The birth certificate will not be needed if you have a Passport.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 03:47 AM

"If I need to take our birth certificates just to spend one night in a motel it's not worth it; we'll just stay on the American side"

Anyone, including me, who has been on both sides would strongly disagree. If you're going as far as the falls, it makes no sense not to visit the nicer Canadian side. If carrying a few birth certificates seems like too much trouble, then maybe your spouse will hold them. Either way, don't miss the Canadian side.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 05:29 AM

1. Let's clarify. You'll need either 1) state-issued ID/DL and original birth certificate; or 2) passport.

2. If it's too much trouble to carry a few pieces of paper to go on your trip, maybe it's too much trouble to go to Niagara Falls, period. Why not stay at home?
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 06:44 AM

In Randa's defense, perhaps she doesn't know where her birth certificate is. I have no idea where mine is right now.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 07:22 AM

Since 9/11 we've taken our passports every time we've gone to the falls. We think it expedites the crossing on both sides. Since we have already them it's the simplest way to go. The border guards may not ask for birth certif. or other i.d., but if they do and you don't have it, you're looking at a delay.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 08:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I never knew that a driver's license wasn't sufficient for a US citizen. It doesn't seem that they enforce this rule all that much. I've been going to the Canadian side for twenty years with just a license and have never had any problem.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 09:32 AM

A DL doesn't prove citizenship. At least in the past, many states will issue DL to anybody who can drive and have an address in the US. Can be visitor, can be illegals.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 09:38 AM

Exactly - a drivers lic only proves your identity - assuming its legitimate. It says nothing about your citizenship.

And the rules were much simpler before 9/11 - I remember going with my parents as a child - and they didn;t even stop the car. but the world has changed - and they can pick any vehicle for a full check and search. If you don;t have the papers on hand you're going to have a lot of work to do to get back into the US.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 10:09 AM

I have crossed the US-Canadian border by road too many times to count, but here are a few memorable ones:

- One Sunday morning in Nov 2002. Coming back from Canada to the US on a tiny road between NB and ME. They did a full vehicle search. Reason? In the 15 minutes I was stopped there, I didn't see any other vehicle going either way. The border people must have been bored to death.

- Another Sunday morning, around 6am, in Jan - extremely cold, in the middle of the winter. Came back on Quebec 133 to I89. Hardly any vehicle there, and only one booth open with Green light. Nobody in the booth, and after stopping for like 30 seconds, I start to creep ahead to see what's going on. Immediately, the border control person ran out from the heated building, thinking I was going to run the border!

- When I was a truck driver 95-98, I crossed the border many times. Never had either the Canadian or American officials asked to see any ID/passport, or even ask what my nationality is. All they care is the paperwork for the load. So, basically, at least back then, anybody who can drive a 18-wheeler can get into the US without any documentation. I keep wondering why the Mexicans and Chinese have to pay that much money for "snake heads" and risk their lives doing that.

- Went to a track-day event at Mont-Tremblant in 2002. Have a whole bunch of tires, tools, etc in the car when going into Canada. Really have to explain to the official that I am not selling any of those in Canada. Will bring everything back out (well, maybe except some brake pads that I would use up).
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 10:11 AM

You don't need any documentation to get a hotel reservation. You can book a hotel anywhere in the world with just a credit card. However, you do need documents crossing the border. I was in Niagara Falls last year & a passport is all you need & if you are going to do any overseas travel at all you should obtain one. It will surely make your future travel much easier. It is a recognized document by all countries. I crossed the border several times while in Niagara Falls & coming into the U.S. they requested to see my passport each time. Why carry more paper than you really need?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -