Niagara border crossing to US

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a family vacation arriving in Toronto from the UK in August. After a short stay in Toronto, we want to visit Niagara Falls before driving on to Boston.
We'd really appreciate some help with the following:
- which is the best base for visiting the Falls - US or Canadian side?
- what is the best way of crossing the border with young kids & luggage and no car (we will hire a car once in the US)?

Thanks in anticipation.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 03:40 AM

Having been to the falls many times, I would stay on the Canadian side hands down. I think that the Canadian side has more to offer and you also don't want to spend your vacation time criss crossing the border. It is a easy crossing but can get congested quickly with traffic. Besides, while the crossing is painless, it can always take longer than you may think if your vehicle is searched, etc. Why risk it several times? While the U.S. side is more undeveloped and thus less touristy, the view of the falls is better on the Canadian side and there are more options for the entire family there. The Canadian side includes Clifton hill, which is filled with wax museums galore like Ripley's, tourist shops, and "carnival" type things. While it can get old fast, with kids that may work for you. But there are other options if you want to visit that area and avoid that atmosphere. Niagara on the Lake is a short drive along a river road which also takes you through part of Ontario's wine country. It's a quant town lined with small shops, bakeries, wine shops, and even a exclusive Inn that services high tea. There are several nice parks along the way for picknicking & hiking. I would use the Canadian side to explore the area and then cross the border to do whatever interests you on the Buffalo, Ny side, and then move on to Boston. If you like nature, my suggestion for the U.S. side would be to do a little exploring on Goat Island. One last suggestion for the Canadian side, do the boat tour that takes you to the base of the falls. Yes, it's over priced and a bit "cheesy". But you get unnervingly close the very thing you came there for. Just skip the rest of the falls things like the imax show. I'll have to get back to you on the border crossing question as my strategy is to always avoid rush hour & weekend mid morning to afternoon times. Have a great time!
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 04:33 AM

Agree to stay on the Canadian side - much more to see and do. One of the Sheraton hotels (Fallsview?) has rooms with floor to ceiling windows that look out onto the Falls. When we were there they had a special for I think $119 or so for a fallsview room.

Don't know about crossing without a car. I suppose you could take a taxi (?) - but it could be very expensive if you get stuck in a long line. Perhaps take the train to Buffalo and rent a car there (although I have heard the crossing can take quite a while depending on border inspections.)
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:08 AM

Go to get the car in the US by yourself, take it back to the Canadian side to pick up the kids and luggage.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Fairhope

There has been a reply here on the issue of having the proper US entry visa for UK to Canada to USA . Please know the rules ahead of time

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.

Plan A is to pick up a car from Buffalo Int'l where Alamo have a depot & go back for family & luggage.

Any tips on getting there from Canadian side?
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 12:39 PM

Can't help with that last question (perhaps ask Alamo?)but please pay attention to Fairhope's warning. You don't need a visa to get into the US from the UK but I think someone recently posted that if you enter the US from Canada with a UK passport you DO need a visa. Please check immigration rules.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 12:57 PM

How are you getting from Toronto to Niagara?
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Willowpat, just a thought (as I have not taken a rental car across the boarder) do make sure that the rental car you have rented in the US can be driven into Canada. Somehow I think I read about a year ago a lot of car rental places do not allow that. But I may be wrong. Anyway, just make sure the contract does not prohibit it.

Have a great trip!!
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks on the visa warnings.

We'll check this out with the US Embassy in London.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 01:33 PM

One piece of critical advice - Niagra Falls has the most overpriced and lousiest restaurants I've experience at any tourist trap.

Also, taking a car across the boarder is 0 hassle. Customs seldom even notices, but if they ask, the rental agreement will suffice. You should also have no problem renting a car in the the US to take into Canada. The only problem is that will likely charge you more because they need to have extra Canadian insurance on top of the normal US insurance. Works the reverse if you rent in Canada.

"Plan A is to pick up a car from Buffalo Int'l where Alamo have a depot & go back for family & luggage."

You know, I wouldn't do that. First, I wouldn't separate myself from my family on the tiny chance that there will be some immigration problem. Second, why go to Buffalo airport? You can rent a car right across the river in Niagara Falls NY.