Search

Irish music?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Irish music?

I will be in Chicago, staying downtown, the wknd of April 1. I love Irish/Celtic music. Is there anywhere downtown, or within a reasonable driving distance, to go hear good Celtic music?
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 04:24 AM

You could try Kitty O'Shea's in the Hilton and Towers at 720 S. Michigan. There's a review on metromix.com
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 04:27 AM

You might also want to look at www.kiplog.com/irishmap/irsh_map.htm
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. IT looks like the Irish American Heritage Center has live music, too. Not being familiar w/ Chicago, is that place fairly near downtown? We are staying at the Fairmont.
Thanks!
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 04:44 AM

Just realized I had a typo in that link.
Should be: www.kiplog.com/irishmap/irish_map.htm
Sorry about that! I live in the suburbs. While I've been to the Irish American Heritage Center, I'm not sure of it's location relative to downtown. If someone else hasn't answered your question in the next couple of hours, I'll ask my husband and get back to you.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 06:29 AM

Hidden Shamrock at 2723 N. Halsted in Lincoln Park has traditional Irish music every Sunday from 3-6pm. They serve an Irish breakfast most of the day. Also, Celtic Crossing 721 N. Clark (closer to downtown) has music on Saturday nights. I would call and ask what band. It might be Irish, but not traditional music. FYI:It will be very packed.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 10:56 AM

I just asked my husband about the Irish American Heritage Center. He can't remember exactly where it is (it's been a few years since we've been there) but doesn't think it's very close to downtown, definitely would be a drive. Sorry we couldn't be of more help. But, again, I hope you hear from someone more familiar with that area.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, CAPH52 and everyone else for suggestions. We will have a car so we just might try to find the I-A Heritage center.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 08:24 PM

Definitely check the music schedule for the Irish American Heritage Center. You might luck out and be here for something really good. But, to be perfectly honest, I think some of the pubs have a nicer atmosphere, ambiance, whatever you want to call it. And, since you'll have a car, you have a lot of flexibility. I think Chief O'Neill's is one of the pubs on that link I gave you earlier. My husband and I were there a few weeks ago and really liked it. A couple of months ago we happened to hit a Sunday session (forgive my unauthentic spelling!) at Grafton Pub on North Lincoln which we really enjoyed. I'd really suggest you check the schedule for some of those places too.

You might also want to check the schedule for the Old Town School of Folk Music--www.oldtownschool.org. They just might happen to have something going that weekend that would be of interest to you. One branch is just down the street from Grafton Pub. If you're going to be in Chicago that Sunday afternoon, you could hit both places.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 10:01 PM

To go back to my original response to your posting, the metromix site says that Kitty O'Shea's has live music after 9:30 Monday through Saturday. I'm not sure how you find out exactly what the music is though. I've never been there when there was music. But it's really not a bad pub, especially considering it's in a hotel.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 01:20 PM

The Irish-American Heritage Center is not near downtown--it is in approximately the 4600 block of N Knox. (Near Lawrence and Cicero.) It IS, however, only about one block from the Kennedy Expressway, which does up the convenience factor a bit.

Their website: http://www.irishamhc.com/.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Celtic Crossing on 751 N. Clark Street has live music every Saturday. It is a true Irish pub that you should not miss!
Also, Emmits on 495 N. Milwaukee Ave. has Live folk and acoustic bands every Saturday. You can also check out this web site: http://www.chicagosirishpubs.com
Have fun!
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 10:29 AM

What about The Abbey - don't they have traditional music sessions on Sunday nights? Not near downtown though...
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Looking at www.abbeypub.com, the Abbey Pub does seem to have traditional Irish music most Sunday nights--including April 3 (on the pub side, apparently, which might mean no cover, though I would certainly check). And as an FYI, though (again) it's not near downtown, it is in the same direction as the Irish-American Heritage Center, and one could probably drive between them in 10-15 minutes. It's not as close to the expressway, but on the other hand, still pretty convenient to it and closer to downtown than the IAHC.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 01:38 PM

You might want to return to Chicago in September for the Celtic Festival (scroll down to September):
http://www.chicago-downtown.com/events/