NFL Game - what should I know?

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:56 AM
Emile

NFL Game - what should I know?

My wife and I are going to the Jets vs. Vikings game on Oct. 20 in NY. We are Canadian and die-hard NFL fans but never been to an NFL game. We are staying at the NY Hilton (near Rockefeller). Is there anything important that I need to/should know before going? How long will it take to get there from where we are staying? Should we plan on the pre-game party stuff?

Also, surprising my wife with Les Miz tickets on Thursday night. Where is the best (fair price, good food) pre-theatre place to eat that is near the theatre?

Much thanks from your Canadian friend!

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:15 AM
gail

Watch waether reports carefully - it is possible to freeze in the stadium even if not real cold outside. (But if you are anadian, you know that)

Since 9/11 most sport venues will not allow bags of any kind, except perhaps small pocketbook, into stadium. Also, you may have to go thru metal detectors, checked for weapons - that includes little pocket knife. Many stadiums do not allow you to bring any food, beverage or water into stadium. I would check on Jets website, as they probably carefully set rules about this.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:33 AM
xxx

You will get to see some lovely areas of Northern Jersey.....

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:44 AM
juli

Emile:

Well, I second the opinion to make sure you dress for the weather. It can go either was in NJ. Especially in the stadium. It can be freezing or if we get a nice day and the sun is out its rather warm even in October.

Are you renting a car to get to the stadium? You know its in New Jersey right not NYC? Taking a taxi there would cost about $75-$100 although I dont know for sure I never tried. If your driving or taking a cab I would get some snacks and sandwiches to eat before going in. Many people sit in the parking lot ahead of time and if you find some nice ones they may ask you to join in the fun. If not find a cooler and pack some beer and thats all the party you will need. Just give yourself plenty of time to get to the stadium, it does take awhile with traffic. I have never come from NYC to East Rutherford, but I would guess it would take about an hour with traffic, maybe someone else can help with that.

Good Luck and you may want to repost with JETS in the heading maybe you can hook up with some fans to tailgate with and maybe catch a ride

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:58 AM
amy

NJ Transit and another bus company offer round trip bus service to the stadium from Port Authority. I think it starts up to 2 hours before the game and goes back after the game is finished. They have many buses that run back and forth. Depending on the outcome of the game the line back can get quite long. I waited for about 45 minutes once. The great thing is the buses get immediately out of the lots and on the highway so it actually has been quicker than when I drove (and you have a designated driver!)

There are plenty of pre-game spots to party in the parking lots. Walk around, most fans are welcoming. The Jets also have some "fan" areas set up, I think it is called Jets Fest. It was (last year) in the white bubble dome, not sure about now. Either way, I have always had more fun out in the parking lot. Pack some cold ones and venture out!

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:59 AM
amy

NJ Transit and another bus company offer round trip bus service to the stadium from Port Authority. I think it starts up to 2 hours before the game and goes back after the game is finished. They have many buses that run back and forth. Depending on the outcome of the game the line back can get quite long. I waited for about 45 minutes once. The great thing is the buses get immediately out of the lots and on the highway so it actually has been quicker than when I drove (and you have a designated driver!) drive out is usually 20-40 minutes depending on tunnel traffic and time.

There are plenty of pre-game spots to party in the parking lots. Walk around, most fans are welcoming. The Jets also have some "fan" areas set up, I think it is called Jets Fest. It was (last year) in the white bubble dome, not sure about now. Either way, I have always had more fun out in the parking lot. Pack some cold ones and venture out!

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:30 PM
miz

Ok, it looks as if you got enough info on the Jets game, so I'll tackle the theater part of your question.

We usually go to Becco, which is just a couple of blocks from the theater district. It's small,specializes in Italian, and it owned by the TV chef Lidia. Not too expensive and not terribly upscale.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:07 PM
Howard

I'll also recommend Becco. It's about 2 blocks from the theater--355 West 46th Street, between 8th & 9th Avenues. Make reservations NOW (212-397-7597). Try the pasta special (all you can eat of three pasta dishes) for about $21. Also, Becco has an excellent inexpensive wine list.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:09 PM
Howard

PS: As for the Jets game, be prepared for a lot of booing, etc., from the home fans. The Jets have been miserable thus far this year.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:40 PM
Jets

Its a tradition that all Canadian Fans run naked onto the field during the 2 minute warning right before halftime.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:28 PM
Emilie

OK, "Jets" very funny!! This Canadian is used to the cold but running buck naked may make me shrink in places never before.

All the info and help is great!! How much does the bus that you are referring to cost? The last thing I want to do is rent a car and the taxi thing seems too much. Anyone know how long it takes to get from downtown NYC to the stadium?

By the way, I'm thinking I should pack some Canadian beer - that should make us the most popular ones out there!!

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:39 PM
kam

Do go to Becco---it's the best. I believe a becco is a little parmesan cheese thing which is topped with greater goodies. Lidia is fantastic and very authentic. Enjoy.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:02 AM
Amy

If i remember correctly the bus cost $10-15 per person round trip. It is called the "load and go" service to Giants Stadium for the Jets game. They usually have 3-5 ticket windows open where you purchase tickets at Port Authority and then they tell you the gate. Buy the tickets, head to the gate, get in line, get on the bus, once the bus is full, it heads to the stadium. Pick up is usually in the same spot as the drop off. Driver will confirm for you. Again, you'll see the lines. You'll be able to spot the fans in green and white. People of all ages and "fan" levels take the bus so dont worry about feeling like you are heading on the roudy crowd tour to the game.

PS. Canadian beer, the one with 7% alcohol?...you'll be the hit of the parking lot with the Jets fans.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 06:34 AM
Hwoard

Remember that you can't bring any backpacks, bags, coolers, etc. into the stadium.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:25 PM
QB

The Jets need a Quarterback. Bring Doug Flutie with you!!!

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 01:39 PM
susie

Get there 1.5 - 2 hours or so before game time, NFL security is strict since 9/11 and the lines move slowly. Leave backpacks, large purses, bags at your hotel as they dont let you carry much inside. I cant estimate travel time from the city out to NJ. Which team do you root for up in Canada? Enjoy

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Emilie

We cheer for the Edmonton Eskimos (CFL) but I am a die-hard Cowboys fan and my wife is a 49er fan (sorry....) I guess we will cheer for the Jets on the 20th...they'll need it!

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 12:18 PM
karen

I'm actually a die-hard Giants fan so we're already arch enemies if you're rooting for the Jets, but since we share a stadium, I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth. Having both driven and taken the bus from Port Authority, I think the bus is the better bet unless you're set on tailgating out of your rental car! The bus can take as little as 20 minutes to get there if the traffic is good and gets out of the stadium rather quickly (otherwise, getting out is a real hassle!). Have a great time at the game. Giants stadium is a fun place to watch the NFL in action although I'm not too sure about how much fun you'll have with the Jets that weekend!!!