Newport (RI) bridge and vacation in August

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 06:12 PM
melissa

Newport (RI) bridge and vacation in August

We are thinking of a trip to Providence/Newport either the week of August 5th or August 19th. However, my husband hates bridges and we wonder how high the Newport bridge is! Also, any suggestions on lodgin would be appreciated. Thanks. Melissa

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Postal

First of all, it's not a very long bridge compared to, say, the Verrazano Bridge in NYC. It's also not quite that high. I don't like bridges either but I drove that one twice a day for two weeks and it didn't bother me at all.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:51 PM
chris

The Pell Bridge (Newport Bridge)is the longest and highest bridge you can use to get to Aquidneck Island. In fact, you really have to cross two bridges to get to Newport from the west. Newport and Jamestown bridges.

There are two other choices. My husband and I think the Sakonnet River bridge is the least intimidating. It's on Hwy 24 and links northern Aquidneck Island to Fall River MA/Tiverton RI.

Another choice is the Mt. Hope bridge that links NW Aquidneck to Bristol, RI. It's half as high and half as long as the Pell bridge.

Or go to Providence and take the daily ferry (passengers only).

CMD

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Chris

Oh, forgot to tell you.

Newport bridge is 11,250 ft long.

Road deck is 225 ft above water.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 07:47 AM
lili

accomodations:
http://www.travelhero.com/search.cfm/country/US/state/RI/city/NEWPORT/hotels/reservations/
check out admiral fitsroy (great location on thames st.) or winestone for a bit more upscale, nice gourmet breakfast

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 05:18 PM
anon

Bridge is a challenge to people like me who are uncomfortable of heights. It is steep and narrow. $2.00 fare each way. On a windy day as when we traveled over it the speed limit was set a 40 and I was the only car doing the limit.
Good luck