Newport/July 4th

May 2nd, 2006, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Newport/July 4th

Thinking of going to Newport for July 4th weekend. We are hoping to stay at a cute B&B--will it be really crazy there that wkend? I went when I was in my 20's and remember it being a big bar scene. Hoping 30 somethings can have some quiet time too.
Also, is it possible to do a day trip to Block Island from Newport--are there any day boat trips?
Thanks!!
May 2nd, 2006, 01:21 PM

Crazy crowded....yes, but no more crazy Bar Scene wise than any other weekend.

The Women's US Open Golf Tournament is being held that weekend...(finishing up on July 2nd) and hotel rooms are at a premium, but can be found...try www.newportreservations.com (they're a free service) and they can tell you what's available at various rates/accomodations. Bar/Restaurant scene is still very big but the city is full of 30 somethings that frequent their own places while the 20 somethings have theirs.....except for of course Christie's....which spans all age groups...

There is a daily ferry from Newport to Block Island...if memory serves, it leaves around 8:30 or 9:00 am and returns around 4:30 or so....
May 2nd, 2006, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

thank you! any other "quaint" recommendations in the area for a couple? We like beach and seafood and a few fireworks...will definitely do a day or 2 in newport, but maybe could take a side trip somewhere less manic (seeing how we're coming from NYC).
May 2nd, 2006, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

also, (and maybe an overlapping questions): is it worthwhile to stay one night in Block Island? I'd like to do something romantic as it's my bf's birthday. Are there some top restaurants on the island? thanks!!
May 2nd, 2006, 03:12 PM
mei

I do not reccommend going to Block Island 4th of July weekend....even though I will be there. It is very crowded and you will never get a hotel room for one night. Anyway...if you go...the fireworks are on the 2nd and the parade on the 4th.
May 2nd, 2006, 03:50 PM
lvk

For quieter options near Newport, you could try Little Compton, RI www.stonehouseclub.com

or Westport, MA www.paquachuck.com

There are a couple of wineries in the area you can visit. www.sakonnetvineyards.com
www.westportrivers.com

Traffic getting in and out of Newport will be heavy.
May 2nd, 2006, 03:57 PM
lvk

oops, thats www.sakonnetwine.com
May 2nd, 2006, 04:43 PM

We went to Newport last August and stayed at:
Thames Street Guest House
15 Thames Street
Newport, Rhode Island 02840

We used a woman found on another travelboard who essentially worked as an agent for many of the b&bs. I was having problems finding the 2 rooms we needed for the nights we needed and she was able to locate the Thames guest house without issue. Price was right where we wanted it also. Do a search over at TA's forum and you'll find her name, I'm sure.

Gary and Pat (the owners of this little B&B) were terrific. Really nice people. He made the BEST muffins with breakfast. The house was walking distance to the main street area also.
May 2nd, 2006, 08:07 PM

Bristol, RI (3 towns north, about 25 minutes from Newport) has the longest continuous running July 4th parade in the country. If that interests you...
May 3rd, 2006, 07:30 AM

Actually, Newport WILL be more crazy crowded bar scene wise than a normal summer weekend (which is crazy enough). That's because most of the party people rent houses/apartments for the whole summer and come down for a week or so, and most weekends. But the three weekends/holidays they will NOT miss are Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Fourth of July.
May 3rd, 2006, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

thank you for all the responses. For the "quieter" towns in the area, are there beaches and some townlife? I also heard Chatham is nice?
Thanks all!
May 3rd, 2006, 11:23 AM

Oh my gosh... Newport during July 4th weekend is a madhouse. ATMs out of cash, crowds in every restaurant and bar -- and I mean CROWDS! Think of the 1, 2 or 3 train going downtown during rush with delays. Do you enjoy that "I'm being breathed on and stepped on" feeling? You get the idea...
May 3rd, 2006, 11:31 AM
lvk

Chatham is lovely, but it is all the way out on the "elbow" of Cape Cod. You say you wanted "less manic". The Cape on a holiday weekend would not fit that description.

The "quieter" towns are that way because they don't have a whole lot of "townlife". They do however meet your other criteria of quaint, great seafood and nice beaches.

In Westport, there is Horseneck Beach (which will be crowded on a holiday weekend) in Little Compton, there is Goosewing Beach, which is an out-of-the way little beach that gets very little tourist traffic. Google "RI beaches" for more info.