Newbury Guest House/Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My apologies if I have double posted. I meant to post this specifically to Massachusetts but think I posted to US the first time...Has anyone stayed at the Newbury Guest House recently. I just book their top end, Bay Window room, for 3 nights in April for under $200.00 per night. Sounds too good to be true! The reviews on TripAdvisor were mixed. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 08:00 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Selecting MA is to help for someone searching, not really much help for posting. It all is under the US board.

There have been several reviews of Newbury Guest House. Try using the search.

I just got back from Boston, but I usually use Priceline or Hotwire for rooms.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 10:56 PM

Here's another huge recommendation for using Priceline or Hotwire for Boston in April (though all bets are off for Marathon weekend).

There's a good reason why reviews are "mixed" on TripAdvisor.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 03:18 AM

Since I live in Boston area, I just read every review on Trip Advisor for this property. I have been inside the lobby, but never stayed there - was just curious.

This is my take on the mixed reviews. Boston is a very expensive city in which to find centrally located hotel rooms. Countless posts on this board seeking some relief from these high prices.

I don't actually find the reviews all that mixed when you try to factor in the individual's expectations (sometimes unrealistic) and preferences. You have to prioritize amenities, how elegant, cost and location when you stay in Boston. If I were to summarize reviews I would say that there is a consensus that this property is very convenient, a good price relative to other Boston prices, with some character - sometimes reflected in a certain "tiredness". Some people find that charming and others find it annoying.

So go into this with your eyes opened by the reviews - in the end I think one usually gets what they pay for.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gail. A little perspective always helps. If I want luxury my option is suite at The Eliot for $335.00. You are right. You get what you pay for; however, it seemed to me that you were getting quite a bit at The Newbury -- great location, decent room, full breakfast... My only concern was people saying that the rooms bore no resemblence to the photos, which looked quite nice to me.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 12:38 PM

If you want to save some money, based on reviews and my memory of comments here, I would go for it. The complaints on TripAdvisor (except for lone person many months ago alleging bedbugs), were that it was shabby and spare - not dirty, mismanaged or anything like that. Comments about unhelpful desk staff regarding directions to attractions do not seem as relevant to me - they are hotel management, not tour guides.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 01:02 PM

I've stayed there. If you're expecting plasma TVs and Frette sheets, look elsewhere. It's a clean, charming old guest house with helpful staff, a great full breakfast daily and the best location possible. I would stay there again without hesitation-- in fact, it's the only place I'd stay in Boston. I like it that much.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 06:12 PM

I am staying at the Newbury Guest House this week. I spent the first night of my stay in Boston at Sheraton Pru Center (bought on Priceline). The Sheraton was big, packed and busy. The paint was peeling in the shower and there was hair in the bathtub. It was very noisy. They charged $12. for internet access. Free access was in the lobby.
The Newbury Guest House room is worn but clean. I have a view of the fabulous Newbury St. Breakfast is included in the rate. It is very conveniently located. The room is smaller than the Sheraton but perfectly adequate. I have a desk, armoire, large bed and a fireplace. The internet access is free. I think it is fine.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 08:33 PM

My husband and I stayed there for 4 nites. I would absolutely stay there again if we were ever fortunate enough to visit Boston again. The room seemed very nice to us but we don't stay in 4* places. You can't beat the location and the breakfast was good. The stairs are a little creaky but I loved the place.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments on the Newbury Guest House. I realize it is comparing apples and oranges but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Charlesmark. The reviews are better. I prefer the location but the rooms look dismal. Is it better in person?

Old Oct 15th, 2006, 07:12 AM

cousins of ours have stayed at Newbury Guest House and were pleased, everytinng previous posters said being true (worn vs. dirty/ shabby vs. not newly decorated)

However, if you now want info about Charlesmark you might be better posting it in a title of a new post people are likely only to respond to this post w/ info about Newbury Guest house....
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 07:15 AM

never mind ! I see as I keep reading this morning that you have done just that ! good luck -