Search

Newbie Trip Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Breckboy

Newbie Trip Advice

Thinking about a trip to HI in July/August and have some general questions I'd greatly appreciate feedback on. Is it possible to go on such short notice? I mean, get decent airfare and accomodations? How much should it cost from Denver for airfare? What's the weather like there then? What is the best time of year to go?

If you had three weeks, and money was not an issue, what would your dream itinerary be? Like, would you spend a week on one island, move to the next, and so on? Where would you stay (with spouse and teenage daughter)? We love to snorkel, swim, bike and hike (NO golf or tennis). We live in the mountains and are in good physical shape. No roughing it, though, we want a luxurious, peaceful experience.

Don't worry about dining and so on, I can pick that up off this forum and from the guidebooks I've ordered.

We were in the Cayman Islands in January. Anyone who can compare them with Hawaii please do!

Many thanks in advance!!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 09:37 AM
amber

If you can, book now. The problem with July/August is it's summer vacation so it'll be trouble this late in the game. It won't be too hard to find a hotel, but it's the flights that will be more difficult to get. I've looked into July/August recently and it seemed that the fares were quite a bit higher than when I went in May.

It's starting to get hot right now and I would say August/September are the hottest months. But it's definitely still very nice.

If you have three weeks there, you could do three islands in my opinion. I would pick Oahu, Maui and Kauai. You can definitely feel like you got a good taste of an island in a week. Maybe spend a bit less time in Oahu. I feel like it's pretty developed so it's not as much of a tropical vacation which is a negative in my book. If you want to just settle in, maybe do just two islands. I did stay in Maui for 2 weeks once and didn't feel at all bored.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Bart

We've been to HI 12 times from the east coast in the last 20 years, currently planning next trip in February. Only done 3 weeks once and three islands twice. We normally do 2 islands- either Maui and BI or Maui and Kauai. I prefer the 3 islands mentioned to Oahu. Honolulu is like any mainland city with a beach. There are some nice sites on Oahu but not as nice as the outer islands. My Opinion. The weather is always nice in Hawaii 10- 15 degrees warmer in the summer than the winter. Always a breeze to cool things off. The sun is intense year round
Cayman comparision. I visited Grand Cayman about 6 years ago and while it was nice(scuba diving) the scenery and feeling is much nicer in Hawaii. I recall my feeling- After 8 days in Grand Cayman and 7 days in Naples, Fl, it would have been about the same price to go to Hawaii. Just a longer flight. IMO, the Hawaiian people recognize tourism as there economy and treat the visitors as such. Sometimes in the Carabean that is not the case.
I'd suggest the following: 7 days on BI, plan at least one night at the volcano. We normally fly into Kona, stay on Kohala coast, the Orchid or Mauna Lani Bay, and then drive to Volcano early on the next to last day and spend a day at Volcano Nat'l Park and get up early and take the early flight from Hilo to Kahalui on Maui. Saves quite a bit of driving. Suggested location for 2 adults and teen would be Wailkaloa resort area or Kona area.
On Maui, Kaanapali is recommended. there are lots of hi rise hotels and condos on the beach that would work well. You will be close to Lahaina which has everything.
Lastly I'd suggest Kauai, very pretty and very scenic. hike the Napali coast. Do a helicopter tour on Kauai if you plan one on the islands.
Most flights from Hawaii to the mainland leave Honolulu late in the day so on the day of departure, catch the 1st flight to HON check your bags to Denveer and either get a cab or rental car depending on the amount of time - head to Pearl Harbor and if time permits drive to the North Shore.
Hope this is helpful.

Bart

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Breckboy

Thanks Amber and Bart! That's great advice. Anyone else have comments??

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 11:56 AM
John R.

Three weeks is perfect for three islands. Big Island, Maui and Kauai should be good for you with a good mix of activities and landscapes. Expect Maui to be more commercialized than the other two so plan accordingly. Definitely find some lodging in Volcano on the Big Island and spend at least two full days at Volcano National Park.