Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ever spent Christmas in New England? - What was it like?

Old May 29th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Shaun

Ok I know this is planning ahead.....
but I have just found out that my office will close completely over Christmas and New Year.
And since my wife and I have always liked the idea of spending Christmas in New England (We have visited NH & VT a couple of times but not over christmas)we are considering arranging a trip this year

If you have stayed in New England over Christmas please let me know where you stayed and if it met your expectations.

Although we have previously stayed in NH & VT (Stowe) We are open to all suggestions, however we would probably favour the northern states (Better Chance of a white christmas)

All suggestions appreciated.

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:13 PM
New Englander

Woodstock, Vermont is very pretty around Christmas. Sleigh rides are offered at nearby Billings Farm.
The last couple of years we haven't had very white Christmas's though, so watch the forcast!

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Go And

You probably won't find a white Christmas in most New England (sigh); perhaps a dozen out of the past 45 years for me in Mass and NH! However, it just so happens we natives spent last Christmas at the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe. They did get about an inch each day, actually keeping the week white!
By the way, it's not too early to book Christmas week at the ski areas. Just be prepared for super inflated prices!

Old May 30th, 2002, 04:26 AM
Joyce

If you want snow, travel to the mountains in northern Vermont or northern New Hampshire. The rest of New England occasionally gets snow during Christmas, but not very often. I live in Massachusetts and cannot remember the last time we had a snowy Christmas here.

Also book ahead. Christmas is a popular season for hotels in the mountains.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:52 AM
xxxxx

Best chance of white Christmas is probably somewhere like the Balsems Resort in Northern NH. I think they have a website.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:56 AM
gc

If you want to spend Christmas in New England, there is, obviously, only one place to do it...The Christmas Farm Inn in Jackson, NH!

http://www.christmasfarminn.com/

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Jeanne

We've gone to Lake Placid, NY for the Christmas Holidays. Lake Placid is a pretty town with a lot to do. We have gone skiing, ice skating and sledding. We have also gone on the Olympic bob sled run.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 10:03 AM
gc

I would discount any advice given by someone who kowingly and willingly went down an olympic bobsled run 8^)

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 10:08 AM
gc

...someone who kowingly and willingly ...

that would be ...someone who knowingly and willingly ...

If I'm gonna be a smarta##, I should, at least, get it right.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Jeff

I've lived in CT for 25 years. It usually rains and is freezing out. Pretty depressing.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Jeanne

GC - The bobsled ride was only 1/2 mile long, everyone wears a helmut and there is a professional driver and brakeman. You should try it.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 11:59 AM
gc

Jeanne

All in jest...

My son was thinking of it...we were there 2 years ago, while they were building the new run. We were on a bridge over the run when that thing came underneath us....It felt like an earthquake, scared the [email protected]# out of him.

We didn't go.