Search

Newbie At Martha's Vineyard

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2008, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie At Martha's Vineyard

Hi All,

Though all of you out there with lots of experience could help my husband and I celebrate our 1 year anniversary at Martha's Vineyard by giving us very helpful information. We are looking to spend approximately 3 nights and will be flying from Miami. What airport, do we drive or take a bus, where do we stay, what do we do. I think we definitely want to picturesque view...harbour/ocean would be very nice. Any help you can provide would be awesome!
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 05:45 PM

Hi Honeydreams,
And congratulations on your anniversary. It would be helpful to know the time of year you are planning for. When you say drive or take a bus I assume you know that the end of your journey (unless you catch a small plane directly to the Vineyard) will be a ferry. So a little more detail on your plans would be great.

The Vineyard is very lovely----and a great place for an anniversary. I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice when you provide a few more details.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 06:59 PM

I think the Charlotte Inn would be a perfect choice. It has a perfect location which is 2 blocks from Edgartown harbor. I would book ASAP as its a very well known Inn.

http://www.relaischateaux.com/charlotte
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:52 AM

The Victorian Inn in Edgartown is lovely and very romantic. You couldn't find nicer innkeepers.
We flew into Boston and took the ferry.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:53 AM

I forgot the link to the Victorian Inn:

http://www.thevic.com/
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:41 AM

Honeydreams - congratulations! We spent our 1st anniversary on MV, too. We stayed here: http://www.kelley-house.com/ We had a two-story suite, with a deck on the second floor which overlooked Chappaquiddick, the Edgartown Lighthouse, etc. This was a LONG time ago but I'll never forget it. The suite had a complete kitchen, living room, two bedrooms and two baths. When are you going?
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyones input. We are planning on going July 24 for 3 nights. We are flying from MIA so not sure what is best for transportation. Be it we rent a car and do the drive and take the ferry over or if we just find some other way without a car.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:57 PM

I'm pretty sure you will be unable to get car ferry reservations for weekends at this point (that's Thursday-Sunday, right?). Those reservations are gone by February, as far as I know.

You are better off finding a way to get your self to the ferry without a car...there must be a bus, and then rent a car after you get on the island.

If money is no object, you can take a small plane from Boston to Edgartown. Also from the New York airports I think, just not sure which. You should check the flight costs. It might really save a lot of time and hassle getting there.

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM

As to how to get to MV from Boston, you can either fly Cape Air from Logan, or you can take the Peter Pan bus from South Station. It will drop you in Woods Hole where you can catch the ferry.

Obviously, flying is a lot easier and quicker, bussing and ferrying is cheaper but will take a lot more time.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:58 PM

I would fly out of Boston on Cape Air and rent a car on the island.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:06 PM

I agree with Andrew8 - perfect advice. It's too bad you didn't know about booking the ferry a few months ago but there are other ways to get there and get around.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Well...I am thinking we need to find another place to celebrate our anniversary. I've done some checking around and it seems that MV will be much more expensive than we had thought. We will leave it for another time. Thank you all for your thoughts.

If anyone can recommend a nice place we can go for the weekend Cape Cod (not MV)? Outerbanks? We are open for suggestions.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:35 PM

Outerbanks in the summer will be quite difficult to find lodging for anything less than a week.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:51 PM

Amen, honeydreams, the Vineyard adds up to a very expensive destination.

You might consider flying into Boston, grabbing a rental car and visiting southern Maine.

I love Ogunquit with it's rocky coast and 3 mile hard sand beach. Good restaurants and coast to explore between York and Kennebunkport.

I like the affordable views of Seachambers.com and their greek style pool overlooking the coastline.

Next door and plusher is http://thesparhawk.com/ and past that is the Anchorage. Down aways on the tidal river is http://www.abovetideinn.com/

I think flying into Boston or Portsmouth NH or Portland Maine and heading to Ogunquit would be a great 3 night celebration

Good luck with your plans. I love the Vineyard and Nantucket, but just getting there is expensive. We go to one or the other once a year off season.

Best wishes
gyppie

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:05 PM

I missed posting this other property, hard to tell what your style of travel is...
http://www.anchoragebythesea.com/
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 05:40 AM

Did you want to go to MV for the beach thing? Coming from Miami I would imagine that you would want to see something else. We are also from Miami but visited New England ( Boston, Vermont, Maine, and MV)in the fall and it was peaceful and beautiful.

How about a romantic night at the Biltmore (or something to that effect) for your anniversary and take your trip to MV in the fall? Just a thought.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 07:07 AM

Falmouth is a pretty nice place to stop & from there you can get the ferry to Martha's Vineyard for a day trip & the next day go from there or Hyannis to Nantucket. You can use a bus pass on both islands & enjoy 2 lovely days out.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 07:51 AM

Go to the site Boston.com.
This week they are featuring Chatham, on the Cape,and have some great ideas for lodging, restaurants,things to do and see- I think you might enjoy the area.
If you need more info after googling, give a shout!
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 08:35 AM

You could stay at Falmouth or Woods Hole and then take a ferry to MV. We've rented mini motorcycles on the island and had so much fun spending the day riding them. You could also take some tours via buses while on the island. It's a nice change of pace and you don't want to miss the experience.