Newark to Murray Hill area

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive into Newark on a Friday morning about 11am. What are the transportation choices to our hotel in the Murray Hill area? We are staying at the Eastgate Tower Hotel at 222 East 39th Street. We are 2 adults and 1 child, presumably with 2 pieces of luggage and 2 backpacks.
Old May 28th, 2011, 11:12 AM

Although they are numerous modes but either they are inconvenient or expensive.

http://gonyc.about.com/cs/airlinesai.../getto_ewr.htm

Murray Hill is crosstown from Penn Station and Grand Central (and the Airport Express bus) is about 5 blocks southeast from your hotel.
Old May 28th, 2011, 11:53 AM

There is a taxi which will cost about $45.00 - $60.00 plus tolls. http://www.ny.com/transportation/airports/NWK.html
http://www.easynewyorkcity.com/airpo...sportation.htm (scroll down on this page for Newark to Manhattan)

There is a Newark to NYC (Grand Central - East 42nd Street) bus which costs $15 per person. You can then walk from 42nd Street down Lexington Avenue to 39th Street then make a left on 39th St to 3rd Avenue.

http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

Then there is public transportation:

Take the AirTrain from the airport to the NJ Transit Liberty International Airport station. $12.50 per person - includes the AirTrain fee and the fare on a NJ Transit train (there are at least 3 per hour) to NY Penn station (7th Avenue & 33rd Street). At Penn station you can take a taxi (approximately $6.30 plus tip (there may be a small charge per piece of luggage as well).

Also available at NY Penn Station - local buses M16 and M34 along 34th Street (toward Waterside Plaza or FDR Drive) - get off at 3rd Avenue and walk up to 39th Street. The fare is $2.25 per person in coins or buy a MetroCard for $6.75 (or more) at the subway station in Penn Station (near the Long Island RR ticket windows)Railroad .
Old May 28th, 2011, 03:17 PM

I'd take the Airtrain and NJ Transit into the city and then a taxi to the hotel. I live near the Eastgate Tower, and this is how I generally get in from EWR. NYC taxis DO NOT charge for luggage. The taxi will be more like $8 because of traffic (give a dollar tip).

You can take the shuttle to 41st St near Grand Central, but it will take longer and cost the same. And you'd still be about 7 blocks from the hotel ... Probably too far to walk with luggage and a child. It seems close, but you have to walk almost to 2nd Avenue. I walk farther to my apt, but it might be hard with a child. However this is the cheapest option.

If you just want to pay about $70, then arrange for a car service through Dial 7. That will be door to door service. Book the car in advance, and call upon arrival to find the meeting point. It will arrive in about 5 minutes.
Old May 28th, 2011, 05:32 PM

I think it depends on the age of the child. If the child can carry his/her own carry-on and is responsible then you have a bunch of public transit choices.

If the child is so young that you need to hang onto him/her through the airport and on trains - it will be hard to manage luggage too- and I would organize a car in advance (organize via Dial 7 or Carmel). They will tell you rate in advance - but you also need to pay for the tunnel toll and a 20% tip.
Old May 29th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

DD is nearly 9 - hoping she won't have to manage her own suitcase but she might have a backpack.
Old May 29th, 2011, 10:41 AM

I'd either use a private car service like dial7.com for door to door service (~$65) or take the Coach USA bus mentioned above and get out at Grand Central station. There's no transferring with the bus and the walk is not far. http://tinyurl.com/4x35mum
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Decided to go with Carmel car service as it's our first time to the city and thought it was the method of least hassle! And DH is excited about getting a few extra Delta SkyMiles!