Newark Int'l Airport Hotel - Midtown Manhattan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in going to NYC for a weekend in April, but I'm on a very limited budget. I read on a website that staying in the Newark Int'l Airport area wasn't bad because I could take a train to Manhattan or take the bus found in the lower level of the airport. Any suggestions? I really don't want to spend more than $80/ night so this area is better, but is it too difficult/ long to get into the city? I also need the transportation to run late.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 11:30 PM

You do not want to spend $80 for transportation or for a hotel?
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 01:03 AM

Thanks ..nice information you have delivered..get to know about information for hotels of C.A check out www.creekstoneinn.com.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 02:16 AM

The train will cost you $11.50 (it was a few years ago) each way. The bus is will be $15, I think. It takes a lot of time, unless you hit the trains/bus departures just right, so you have a lot of transportation costs.
There may be better bus service from the terminal in Newark (not the airport). We have never done that, but have done the others I mentioned.
You may be able to get a room in the city on Priceline for a good price, and if you are willing to take a chance on a 2* you probably can.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 02:40 AM

Getting from the airport to the city is relatively easy - but not necessarily late at night. But the hotels are not AT the airport. You will have to take a hotel shuttle (if and when they run) to the airport and then make your way to the city. Or you will have to figure out how to get from the hotel into the city (check with each hotel what the options are - and how much they cost, how close to the hotel and how often/when they run).

You could easily find yourself an hour or more from the city (with traffic) and costing you $30 per day or more.

However $80 is an incredibly low rate for NYC - at any time of year. You could risk Priceline - but if you're talking Easter week you may get nothing, I would also look at Travelzoo.com to see what they have.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 06:28 PM

You can also look at hotels in Brooklyn.

If you are looking to spend $80 I assume you are looking for a no frills places with easy access to Manhattan. Most of these are under $150 per night for Easter.

Hotel Le Jolie gets good reviews has easy access to Manhattan from Williamsburg:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

There's a Holiday Inn Express (Union St -Park Slope), Hotel Le Bleu all close to the subway.

Check the reviews on Tripadvisor.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 04:28 AM

Staying an hour away from Manhattan is not a good way to save money for a weekend trip and as others have said, apart from the time, the inconvenience and expense is not great either. Are you flying into Newark? If yes, a better idea would be to either look at the Hampton Inn Riverwalk in Harrison NJ which is near a PATH train (costs $1.75 each way into Manhattan) OR consider using Priceline either for Jersey City which is also connected by PATH train (like a subway connecting NJ to NYC) or for a Priceline hotel in Manhattan. If you don't know about Priceline, read up on betterbidding.com

There are plenty of other ways of getting cheap accomodation in NYC. If you're a woman, there are women's residences that are inexpensive and include some meals. The Brandon is one. http://www.thebrandon.org/

Leo House is a guest house run by nuns located in Chelsea in NYC and very well regarded is sparan furnishings. They don't have a website. You must phone or fax for reservations.
http://www.retreatfinder.com/Accommodation/2271.asp
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 05:28 AM

If your budget is so tight, stay at the YMCA, in a single room at the Pod Hotel that has a shared bath, in a single room at the Larchmont Hotel that has a shared bath (the latter two may be over $80, though, so verify the latest prices), or a hostel. All of these options can be found in Manhattan. You really need to look hard before you abandon the idea of staying in Manhattan; staying at EWR would be my absolute LAST choice. I'd stay in Fort Lee or the Meadowlands before I'd stay at EWR.

While you can certainly find a cheaper hotel outside of Manhattan, it's not always cheaper to stay there when you consider the cost of transportation. And $80 is a very very low budget even for a EWR airport hotel.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

I'm not flying into Newark; I just read online that the airport was a good place to stay. I thought I'd check on here, and I'm glad I did because it seems to not be so great! Is there a place to stay outside the city that has easy transportation? I've found multiple hotels outside the city for $80/night so I'm not worried about that, but I want to be able to get to Manhattan easily. I can also drive, but I'm not sure if there's a good place to park in the city or at least near a subway station so we can take that in. Any suggestions would be great!
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

I just found a 3 star hotel deal near Newark airport for $50 a night. Since I'll have my car, and Expedia says that the airport is only 5 miles away from the PATH train, is it simple enough to stay at the hotel, drive to the PATH train, and take that to Manhattan? Is there a place to park at the PATH train?
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 03:37 AM

Why are you not listening to us? What is it you don't understand about the airport being 1 hr. from Manhattan??? The PATH trains don't go all the way to the airport. You need to take the Airtrain to reach them which costs more.

Are you driving here???? If yes, there are PLENTY of places to stay that are closer than Newark airport and either on the PATH system, or better still on the NYC subway system. It's an ugly location, but the Holland Motor Inn is a lot closer and near a PATH station. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ew_Jersey.html

If you bid on Priceline for a 3* hotel in Jersey City, I believe the options you win are all near a PATH train and good hotels. Betterbidding.com will have a list and their win calendar will show what other people paid. You will have to pay for parking I think at those hotels.

You can find private garages near PATH stations by clicking on the station names on the PATH map. http://www.panynj.gov/path/schedule.html

Near the NYC subway, the Country Inn & Suites in Long Island City is usually around $100/night and another good option. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html