Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Newark Airport - Marriott the only hotel AT the airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, we are starting to book our trip to New York and New England for September. We will arrive around midnight on a Friday at Newark Airport and thought we would stay at the airport and then transfer to a Manhattan hotel in the morning (for about 5 nights).

We are going to be very tired after a full day at work then flying in from London and want something convenient and safe where we can crash, have breakfast in the morning then get public transport to Manhattan.

Is the Marriott the only hotel actually AT the airport? It sounds like you have to catch a shuttle there anyway, like all the other nearby hotels. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Kay
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you map the airport on maps.google.com and then use the search nearby function for hotels you'll see all the hotels and their relative locations. While the Marriott may be on the airport property, you still need a shuttle bus to get there and people haven't had great experiences doing that.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ew_Jersey.html

Since all the hotels require a shuttle, if you don't want to go into Manhattan, why not stay at a hotel that would make using public transport into Manhattan easier? The Newark Hilton Penn Station is attached to the train station. YOu can get a NJ transit train there and go one stop to NYC's Penn station.

Another option is one of the hotels in Jersey City or Hoboken near a PATH train (like a subway). But frankly, unless you're going to save a lot of money, I'd just head into Manhattan, get settled and be in Manhattan when you wake up and avoid the hassle.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 12:26 PM

ditto mclaurie's recommendation to head on into Manhattan. Though technically "on airport property" the airport hotels all require shuttle transport which can be iffy. The time you spend shuttling to your hotel at the airport is not much less than it would take you to get into town, and you would lose time the next morning shuttling from your hotel to pubic transport.
You don't say what airline you are flying so not sure what terminal you will arrive, but you can take the airport tram to pick up either the airtrain or a bus into town. You can also reserve a limo in advance to make it even easier - www.carmellimo.com is one I have used a couple times.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thannks for the replies. We will be flying Virgin. The reason we wanted to stay at an airport hotel was on arrival it will be about 5am by our body clocks and I will be barely functioning as I need my sleep!

We normally use public transport whenever we travel so don't really want to fork out for a car service - though it is an option. The hotel at NJ Penn station is an idea I hadn't thought of.

Once we clear customs and immigration, which will no doubt take a while, how long do you think it would take to reach a central NYC hotel by public transport or a car service?

And how long would it take to reach one of the airport hotels instead? We had the idea that it would take a lot longer to reach Manhattan than an airport hotel but maybe not??

Kay
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 04:06 PM

Well if you're landing at 5 pm you won;t be out on the pavement until about 6 (assuming your flight is on time and there aren;t super long delays in immigration). If you take a car service (you call them when you're in line at the airport and they'll have a car there for you) you should be at your Manhattan hotel in no more than an hour. the cost will be about $60 plus tip and toll. (Try Carmel or Dial web sits for coupons.)

If you stay at an airport hotel it depends on how long you have to wait for a shuttle - could be 5 minutes or could be 30 - and the time to get to the hotel - I would assume 15 minutes anyway. So it would probably be faster to stay near the airport - but ii it worth saving 20 minutes - or even 30 - to then have to repack and trek into Manhattan in the AM.

And if you go to one of the hotels in Newark the time difference would be even less..
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 06:59 PM

A 5 p.m. arrival (if you're on time; EWR is frequently subject to delays) puts you at the curb at 6 or a little after, right in the middle of rush hour. If you're lucky, surface transit into NYC will take an hour, but very likely more.

Since you said you prefer public transit (and, I assume, don't mind dealing with your baggage aboard same), why not take the free AirTrain from EWR to the NJTransit/Amtrak Newark Airport station? Then you can catch a NJTransit train (Amtrak is much more expensive and less frequent) one stop to Newark Penn Station, or two stops to New York Penn Station. It's only at most 15 minutes farther than Newark. I'd opt to go into Manhattan, then "crash" at your NYC hotel and wake up already in the City and refreshed the next morning.

By train, you will not encounter surface traffic, which can be extremely heavy at that hour. Entry into NYC requires going through one of the two automobile tunnels under the Hudson River, the Holland or the Lincoln, each of which will have only two lanes inbound during the evening rush.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 11:37 PM

The OP is arriving on VS, which should be at 11:05p, not 5pm. At that time, I suggest using a car service. Traffic won't be a problem. For 2 or more people, it's not costing much more than the train ($15/person just to get to NY Penn - one probably need another taxi to the hotel anyways).

Dial7's rate from EWR to Manhattan is $46 + Toll and tip. Not THAT much more than the train for 2.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info.

We arrive about 11 PM - at night - but have to allow time to get through immigration and customs, so I guess it will be after midnight once we are outside the airport.

We are flying from London so, as I said, our BODY CLOCKS will feel like 5 AM, due to the time difference between UK and USA.

What I'm trying to say is we're going to be incredibly tired and just wanting the most simple and quickest way to a bed.

I hadn't realised there is not that much time difference in getting to an airport hotel or into Manhattan.

If we go ahead and stay our arrival night in Manhattan, it does sound like a car service would be easiest for us, being tired and a little jetlagged.

Thanks
Kay
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 03:45 AM

The Marriott at Newark Airport is a very good airport hotel. The Marriott is the only hotel on airport property. The bar and restaurant are good. The rooms are quiet. If you like your stay at the airport plan, I would make a reservation at the Marriott.

As posted above, the airport has many nearby hotels providing shuttle service. The Sheraton is popular with many visitors. Courtyard and Holiday Inn are close.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 03:56 AM
J62

When I'm traveling the last thing I want to do on my 1st morning after arrival is pack up, check out, schlep to a new hotel, store my bags (since I can't check-in yet), then return to the hotel in the afternoon to actually check-in.

I like to spend my 1st morning at my own pace - sometimes that's getting up early to explore, and sometimes that's sleeping in.

In my opinion your first full day in NY will be far better if you just go to Manhattan upon arrival at Newark. The little extra time it takes you Friday night you'll more than regain Saturday. At some point time, hassle, and comfort are worth far more than the cost of a car service to me.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 06:50 AM

Sorry. I don't know where I picked up on a 5 p.m. arrival. (Ah, maybe the post above my original.)

At midnight or so, I agree that you should take a car service directly into the City. Yes, you'll be tired, but you can nap in the car. Arising the next day and still having to get into Manhattan (sometime after the morning rush, by the way) is a waste of some of your valuable vacation time.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 08:13 AM

I have stayed at the Newark Marriott and it is a good one. I do echo the advice for a car service to pick you up and take you to your hotel in the city. Once you get in the car you can relax -- and this way you do not have to move again in the morning. Enjoy the city!
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 08:32 AM

Unless the hotel is directly connected to the airport - as in walking a couple of blocks - at that time of night it won;t take much longer to get into the city. the Marriott does have a shuttle - but there are some reports that it doesn;t necessarily run on schedule - and I would doubt very much it runs at midnight - unless you call for it and wait for it to turn up.

Really heading into the city is not much longer, traffic will be minimal and a car service the most sensible. (You can even nap in the car on the way to the hotel.)
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 03:19 PM

KayF:

I am with those who suggest that you get a car service and go directly to your hotel in the city. No worries then about getting up, packing, checking in and out all take valuable time. Try and nap on the plane coming over.

Sandy